What's new

India to acquire 200 fighter jets for Indian Air Force: Defence secretary

And once again another mix of more types - why not including some MiG-29M2/-35 ?? - to continue the maintenance nightmare the IAf already has with its mixed fleet of MiG-21, MiG-27 (ok, no longer), MiG-29, Mirage 2000, Jaguar, Su-30??

I really don't understand this Air Force. :crazy:

Do not worry mate...our defence procurement mechanism is so slow that you will hear the same proposal with new flavor after 20 year..

unfortunately the man behind the programs was posed to be ACM but the yanks were so enraged that Pakistan was still pursuing this project that he was not made ACM and retired by the american installed gov. anyway that's history and he is a national hero.

Shahid Latif??

For all Indians who're making wishlists of 500 F-solas or Gripens and pakistanis trolls...nothing is gonna happen. These are all paid media articles to promote a particular fighter jet but given IAF's love for kickbacks and the never ending negotiations/procurement process...no deal will see light in the next decade. By the time they even come up to terms, several countries would start phasing out 3rd & 4th gen fighters

There is more to this acquisition than simply planes. Its a carrot. It helps India to push its diplomatic goals too. France, USA, UK and Russia all want a piece of that defense deal, so they support India diplomatically. It has worked quite well in past too.

Then it will be a maintenance/logistic nightmare for India/IAF, because most of world major Air forces replacing multiple old jets with single jet to reduce maintenance/logistic costs like (f35 replacing F-16/A-10,USN F/A18)
Russia is replacing its Su-27/Mig-29 to Su-57
Similar China is replacing Russian flankers series of jets with J-20 and in future they are replacing their all J-7/J-8/ and old J-10 with FC-31
SO India making a wrong turn to too many different jets from different sources it will become maintenance/logistic nightmare to IAF

IAF only wants Rafale which doesn’t pacify Govt of India’s policy...
Rafale is not only costly but also France as a international strategic partner doesn’t match USA... India needs USA for expanding her trade and influence, USA has keys to all strategic groups in the world

Also Indian Navy is also looking for 57 MRCA ... F-18 with few growlers for both Navy and AirForce also streamlines maintenance operations..
F-18 although wont be able to match next generation stealth planes but is more than satisfying for Indian Navy and Air force operations

Tejas MK1A is necessary as Su-30 MKI prod lines will be closing by end of next year, Tejas also required to introduce AeroSpace base in military industry in India.

Rafale is Indian Air Force favourite they are just in love with this plane but 200 odd fighters for Navy and IAF wont leave anything else in budget to pursue either domestic program or gives India a strong enough strategic partner in long term.
France is weak simply can’t ever match clout of USA

IAF only wants Rafale which doesn’t pacify Govt of India’s policy...
Rafale is not only costly but also France as a international strategic partner doesn’t match USA... India needs USA for expanding her trade and influence, USA has keys to all strategic groups in the world

Also Indian Navy is also looking for 57 MRCA ... F-18 with few growlers for both Navy and AirForce also streamlines maintenance operations..
F-18 although wont be able to match next generation stealth planes but is more than satisfying for Indian Navy and Air force operations

Tejas MK1A is necessary as Su-30 MKI prod lines will be closing by end of next year, Tejas also required to introduce AeroSpace base in military industry in India.

Rafale is Indian Air Force favourite they are just in love with this plane but 200 odd fighters for Navy and IAF wont leave anything else in budget to pursue either domestic program or gives India a strong enough strategic partner in long term.
France is weak simply can’t ever match clout of USA
Does this reply to relates my post how can it be these too many jets (RAFALE/MIG-29/LCA/MKI AND YOUR PRJECTED GROWLER) maintain can be maintained and logistics are also a problem at long term,world is moving towards unified systems to replace multiple older jets to reduce maintenance and logistics expenditures and India moving opposite directions to increase maintenance and logistics expenditures for its so many fighter jets it will be burden on Indian economy to maintain too many types of fighter jets

Last edited by a moderator:
For all Indians who're making wishlists of 500 F-solas or Gripens and pakistanis trolls...nothing is gonna happen. These are all paid media articles to promote a particular fighter jet but given IAF's love for kickbacks and the never ending negotiations/procurement process...no deal will see light in the next decade. By the time they even come up to terms, several countries would start phasing out 3rd & 4th gen fighters
So no MMRCA is coming?

Su-30 MKI prod lines will be closing by end of next year
Damn! 250+ SU30s are not enough?

I am really concerned about they buying 110 approx MIG 35s from Russia armes with R77M/K77. PAF needs to increase its fleet somehow to give IAF a strong competition

110 F-18
83 Tejas MK1A
36+36 Rafale

I find F-18 may be procured. I have also seen its model sitting on Indian defense analyst's desk and I have been wondering why.

upload_2020-1-17_16-41-24.png

JF program will serve Pakistan exceptionally well and even though it had critics like rabid dogs foaming at the mouth but they have gone silent. 00 to 10 was the most critical period for PAF with challenges in security but not so much today.

I doubt there were any critics of Thunders. There were, however, critics of the F-16 Block-52+ acquisitions in 2005/6, including myself. I wanted the funds to be invested in Thunders to make them even more effective.

Having said that, I was sad when I came to know that the IAF fighters (1 or 2) were downed using the F-16's as opposed to my dreams of Thunders shooting down IAF Fighters, especially the MKI.

I've always admired the Pakistan process for acquiring defense equipment. Much more streamlined than what we see in Inda.

It is because in Pakistan the Government has absolutely no say in Military procurements. They are merely advised to pay the bills and they pay them.

So no MMRCA is coming?
MMRCA was initiated back in 2008 which was eventually killed due to change of governments and flawed negotiations/procurement methodology. While American jets are prone to sanctions, IAF doesn't want more Russian fighters due to high maintenance costs and availability of spares. Procuring the Gripen would lay a death kneel to LCA since it's a direct competitor. EFT is out of the picture anyway given it's high cost and we'd have to end up dealing with multiple countries if any issue arises. The only possible option I'd see is 36 more Rafales to fill up the dwindling squadron numbers

Contrary to what most pakistanis and to some extent even Indians perceive about the LCA project, it helped us in developing an aeronautical ecosystem in terms of testing facilities and several research labs. It initially had quite a few foreign systems but they were eventually replaced by indigenous systems. In terms of cost, the foreign component still seems fairly high since the engine used is from GE which accounts for significant portion of the overall cost

The full scale 1:1 model of the MWF (Medium weight fighter) has been revealed last year and work has been actively started on it. The developmental timeline would be vastly reduced since it's not a new system but a derivative of LCA with a larger airframe, enhanced range and capabilities comparable to the latest F-16 Blk-70. Even if we have the first test flight within a decade, I'd opt for it anytime over procuring a foreign jet since that would make us self-reliant down the lane and help us fastrack the development of AMCA

Also, N-LCA testing has recently started on INS Vikramaditya. Since, IN wanted a dual engine fighter, ADA decided to develop a twin engine version of the MWF dubbed TEDBG (Twin engine deck based fighter) on the lines of Rafale. Since the construction of IAC-3 is delayed, it'd give enough time for ADA to bring the TEDBF to life around that timeframe

Would JF 17 Blk 3's EW will be having a 360° coverage?
View attachment 600215 JF 17 Blk 3 lacks IRST unlike Gripen E
View attachment 600216 How many Hardpoints would JF 17 Blk3 have? Gripen E has 10 hardpoints. JF 17 Block 3 would be having 8 hardpoints
View attachment 600217
Is JF 17 Blk 3's AESA radar KLK7A/LK601E comparable with Gripen E's ES-05 Raven?
View attachment 600219

Width over all 8.6 meters
Maximum take off weight 16500 kg compared to Thunders 13000kg
Internal fuel is 3400kg vs Thunder's 2700kg
Hardpoints 10 vs Thunder Blk 3's 8
Maximum speed Mach 2 (Supercruise) vs JF 17's 1.6 Mach with no Supercruise
don't compare 2 jets in same category Gripen E Now Stand in Medium weight category but Block-3 still in light weight class
No one knows real/Classified capabilities of respected AESAs By manufacturer companies
Top speed doesn't matters in air to air war, its about accelerations and T/W ratio and Gripen E has supercruise only in clean configurations or with minimal air to air payloads, and supercruise is useless
and tell me F-35 also has a top speed of Mach 1.6 with no supercruise

Damn! 250+ SU30s are not enough?
You realize Su-30s are both for our eastern and western borders right. Also, Su-30 is classified as a heavy weight fighter. IAF wants a replacement for Mig-21s & 27s. We've recently phased out all Mig-27s while 21s would soon be phased out. IN has retired all Sea Harriers while the availability rate of their Mig-29's is low.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom