What's new

India tests N-capable Agni-I missile

this missile weighs 12 tons and needs a very big vehicle for transport and launch..
But pakistan's 700km missile is much smaller and weighs less..

So whats the point in making such a heavy missile for a measly 700km range?

Agni 1 is road mobile

and its 1 gen Indian missile hence not much compact when considering range

2nd gen Indian BMs are compact,weigh less and require less auxiliaries

Example is Agni 4

it weighs only 1 tons more than Agni 2 but has 1000 to 1500 KM greater range than Agni 2 while having same payload

those who are debating about PM pressing the button are forgetting that it is not PM's duty to select the weapon to launch the retaliations strike.
PM just have to give orders and be it A1, prithvi, or Mirage 2000, sukhoi, or A5 etc etc .. will do its job.

Yes but Agni 1 will be launched only when the PM presses the button and not anyother time.......so will be Agni 2, 3,4,5,......

In our part of the world just firing strategic ballistic missile with a conventional warhead is suicidal .......

I didnt say anything different either. Read my post where i clearly outlined,what it is for us and the rest of the world.

Agni 1 is road mobile

and its 1 gen Indian missile hence not much compact when considering range

2nd gen Indian BMs are compact,weigh less and require less auxiliaries

Example is Agni 4

it weighs only 1 tons more than Agni 2 but has 1000 to 1500 KM greater range than Agni 2 while having same payload

That has to do with composite casing motors instead of marraging steel.

Even Agni 1 could be made much lighter if composites are used and it would much much lighter ...... but it would be slightly costly .......... cost benefit .......

I didnt say anything different either. Read my post where i clearly outlined,what it is for us and the rest of the world.

Very well then ........ peace ......... hope the time does not come to fire any of the missiles ......whether nuclear or otherwise ..........

They have tested and they always test the nuclear warhead here but without the radioactive plutonium in the core. They test the functioning of altimeter and detonator electronics and fuze being functioned at the required height.

The army per say is not going to use it . The Agnis will be operated by the strategic forces command ..... and the strategic forces command will only operate the strategic assets which will carry nuclear weapons like nuclear missiles, and the 40 odd fighter aircrafts specifically to be used for this purpose........

I think you need to read up a little bit more on this subject ..........

you are right

Agni missiles can carry conventional warhead but off coarse they will not be used in conventional role

even if we do so, firing a BM will result in nuclear response as enemy wont know till impact that warhead is conventional

as soon as their system warns them that our BM is heading towards them,they will immediately launch their BMs in response

this is the reason why US gave up plan to use Trident missiles in conventional role

Yes but Agni 1 will be launched only when the PM presses the button and not anyother time.......so will be Agni 2, 3,4,5,......

Why are u guys fighting over a non-issue ?? You two guys basically represent the theoretical and practical aspect of the same matter.

While it is theoretically possible to deploy conventional warheads over AgnIs but clearly the cost-benefit ratio makes it to be used for nuclear option only..

Close the conventional and Nuclear weapons BS now !!

That has to do with composite casing motors instead of marraging steel.

Even Agni 1 could be made much lighter if composites are used and it would much much lighter ...... but it would be slightly costly .......... cost benefit .......

Very well then ........ peace ......... hope the time does not come to fire any of the missiles ......whether nuclear or otherwise ..........

also new much more efficient propellant must have been used in A 4

this is not done...seems this applies to u..as he was talking sense, so pls prove how he is wrong!

PM is supposed to press the button only if the missile is carrying a nuclear warhead. Even though Agni-1 is a strategic missile and nuclear capable, there is no rule that it will always carry Nuclear warhead. When we see the development of conventional warheads and the kind of pack these conventional weapons throw, it is possible that Agni-1 might be used to deliver a next-gen warhead which is not nuclear but is extrmely destructive. In that case PM will not be involved.

All this started when I said that Agni-1 should be phased out when LRCM and BRAHMOS-2 get inducted. This was just my opinion. And as we see that CEP is considered more important than the payload capacity, LRCM makes more sense. I was discussing the same with another member when this person comes in starts calling both of Morons. Even though I rarely indulge in mud slinging, this pissed me off.

@ Indian members, please do not mock and troll about Pakistani Missile tests conducted earlier this May and June. They were NOT a response to Agni-5 (only a fool would take Agni-5 as anti-Pakistan). They were just scheduled tests, with a bit closer test dates. If you see the dates, all the missiles were due for testing, and none of them (except Babur GLCM) had been tested in a year! :meeting:

17 Feb 2011-Test Launch-Babur
11 Mar 2011-Training Exe-Abdali
19 Apr 2011-Test Launch-Nasr
29 Apr 2011-Test Launch-Ra'ad
28 Oct 2011-Test Launch-Babur

05 Mar 2012-Test Launch-Abdali
19 May 2012-Test Launch-Nasr
31 May 2012-Test Launch-Ra'ad
10 May 2012-Training Exe-Ghaznavi
25 Apr 2012-Test Launch-Shaheen I (Improved version, Shaheen-1A)
05 Jun 2012-Test Launch-Babur

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...ile-tests-dates-chronology.html#ixzz20gxb8xeP

And those who say they are Chinese or North-Korean, well I guess you've gotta grow up. :disagree:

Anyways, congratulations to Indians. :cheers:

They have tested and they always test the nuclear warhead here but without the radioactive plutonium in the core. They test the functioning of altimeter and detonator electronics and fuze being functioned at the required height.

Couldn't agree more. That air-burst was definitely a result of testing a nuclear warhead detonation mechanism.

from the video it seems that cep was very low in terms of altitude.

Back
Top Bottom