What's new

India Supporting Taliban-US Intel Official

As I pointed out earlier-muted criticism of the Indian role in Afghanistan has been present in other analysis by Western experts as well.

Please point out the 'muted criticism'.

But in this case we actually have a US intelligence official making some very strong claims largely in line with consistent Pakistani accusations of Indian involvement. One South Asia expert contested this, the intelligence official did not retract his claims. I also pointed out earlier that there are some Western experts who also have contradicted similar reports on Pakistani institutional involvement with the taliban.

I do not believe the Western media will pick up this story because it just doesn't fit in with US strategic objectives in the region - it is India that is being courted as a strategic partner and an ostensible counterweight to China, not Pakistan.

More like - because there is little or no evidence to back up these claims unlike the piles of the stuff against Pakistan.
The US is trying its best to take out the Taliban, IF it thinks that India is hampering their efforts, it won't remain a secret.

I fail to see how an India that is working against American interests can be considered an ally. Does not compute.

I have no clue why this US intelligence official would be seeking 'cheap revenge' from India over its accusations on Mumbai ... perhaps you can elaborate.

NOt that - the enthusiastic "Thanking" from all and sundry. But then its a lame question.

LOL.

It's very much in India's interests to even be supporting the Pakistani Taliban. Whatever you might think, India would love to see Pakistan break in half. A weakened Pakistan would suit it nicely.

that is exactly why the pakistani taliban threatened to fight with the pakistani army in case their 'mentors' (read the IA) attacked pakistan...
it's like blaming pakistan for the Gujarat riots!

Read through the Barnett Rubin/Rashid analysis in Foreign Policy Magazine for one.
More like - because there is little or no evidence to back up these claims unlike the piles of the stuff against Pakistan.
The US is trying its best to take out the Taliban, IF it thinks that India is hampering their efforts, it won't remain a secret.

I fail to see how an India that is working against American interests can be considered an ally. Does not compute.
Ahh but there is little actual 'evidence' to back aup any claims of Pakistan supporting the Taliban currently either - only so called 'intelligence officials'.

NOt that - the enthusiastic "Thanking" from all and sundry. But then its a lame question.
Can't get lamer than the refusal to accept 'facts' here.

Don't shoot the messenger, take it up with the US intelligence official.

Tsk tsk - all this 'denial':enjoy: you guys have.

pakistani talibans who are fightin PA are not goin against american interest and therefore US doesnt care about who is funding them or wateva..... they are different from afghan talibans whom US is concerned about

that is exactly why the pakistani taliban threatened to fight with the pakistani army in case their 'mentors' (read the IA) attacked pakistan...
it's like blaming pakistan for the Gujarat riots!

"Pakistan Taliban" also threatened to fight anti-india groups in Pakistan like LeT, the group blamed for Mumbai attacks.

We all know that it would be in India's interst for taliban to fight LeT.

You know what? Its fine - feel free to believe that India is supporting the Taliban, while the policy makers in the US ignore your cries.

It'll be nice to see you guys so frustrated. :lol:

:tsk:

Last edited:
Mirage? Almost every 'report' blaming Pakistan for supporting the Taliban has the stamp of similar 'anonymous intel. officials'.
Surely you understand the difference between the quality of literature (and institutions researching and publishing it) elucidating the Pakistan-Taliban connection vs what which you have linked here yes?

"Pakistan Taliban" also threatened to fight anti-india groups in Pakistan like LeT, the group blamed for Mumbai attacks.

We all know that it would be in India's interst for taliban to fight LeT.

now you want us to believe that baitullah masood...is running free creating havoc in your NWFP because of RAW/india backing him??
we cant be that influential...sounds too good to be true.
and you haven't answered as to why the pakistani taliban openly warned india agaisnt attacking pakistan

Surely you understand the difference between the quality of literature (and institutions researching and publishing it) elucidating the Pakistan-Taliban connection vs what which you have linked here yes?

its not an analysis but words comin from an intelligence officer...
now if those words are picked up by me or u, wat difference will that make????? its not any author's analysis which we are talkin about here

Read through the Barnett Rubin/Rashid analysis in Foreign Policy Magazine for one.

Ahh but there is little actual 'evidence' to back aup any claims of Pakistan supporting the Taliban currently either - only so called 'intelligence officials'.

You're missing the point. The objective of this thread is the ascertain the facts in a sober manner, not to stick to ideological positions or engage in one-upmanship.

I see none of that here -all your posts are simply meant to distract rather than build some credible arguments.

Here is your first post:

I know, the same 'anonymous Intelligence officials' - but since my criticism of 'anonymous intelligence officials' has not deterred people from using such reports and comments from 'anonymous officials' as being 'proof' of Pakistani complicity, I figure a similar report should suffice as 'proof' of Indian complicity in terrorism for these folks.

This clearly shows that you know very well that the allegations are far-fetched, and the reason why you posted it is in order to "get back" for similar allegations against Pakistan, which btw are fare more credible, and endorsed by a number of different experts and agencies.

I know, the same 'anonymous Intelligence officials' - but since my criticism of 'anonymous intelligence officials' has not deterred people from using such reports and comments from 'anonymous officials' as being 'proof' of Pakistani complicity, I figure a similar report should suffice as 'proof' of Indian complicity in terrorism for these folks.

All these 'cats out of the bag' recently eh ...

Mr. Am read what is say underneath the article you have posted and tell if the Cat is really out of the bag:

UPDATE: A Washington South Asia expert, among others, wrote to dispute the allegation made by a former U.S. intelligence official cited in the piece that India is aiding the Taliban, although he said such support may be going to other anti-Pakistan insurgent groups. "It doesn't square with my observations/sources, even though lots of Pakistanis will say it is true," one said. "The Indians have - by many accounts - had a longstanding connection with Baluch nationalists/separatists in Pakistan, but these are not Taliban and they aren't active in Afghanistan fighting against US/NATO forces. So yes, India gives Pakistan grief (as Pakistan has in India), but I've seen no evidence that it comes from Pakistani or Afghan Taliban.

"As for the consulates, that's a regular refrain from Pakistani government and military," the expert added, "but there's very little US evidence to support the claims of major Indian activity in these locations, which appear to be minor operations with rather few personnel." The former U.S. intelligence officer who made the allegation said that U.S. policymakers do not require the U.S. government to collect intelligence on the issue.

when will both countries learn.
when one is harming the other the fall out effects both. As proven by jahadis supported by pakistan, which were supported to neutralize indian threats.
both should live and let live. Both should mind own bussiness and let the people enjoy short worldly life

its not an analysis but words comin from an intelligence officer...
now if those words are picked up by me or u, wat difference will that make????? its not any author's analysis which we are talkin about here
No. In such cases the credibility of the publishing entity very much matters. In this case they are woefully inadequate.

AgnosticMuslim said:
AM could you please post a link? Thanks

Last edited:
You know what? Its fine - feel free to believe that India is supporting the Taliban, while the policy makers in the US ignore your cries.

It'll be nice to see you guys so frustrated. :lol:

:tsk:

Off topic but nicer is Parnab Mukherjee and the administration whining about LeT and Hafiz Saeed, demanding their pacifiers while Obama or Gordon Brown show the least concer about Indias 9/11,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Off topic but nicer is Parnab Mukherjee and the administration whining about LeT and Hafiz Saeed, demanding their pacifiers while Obama or Gordon Brown show the least concer about Indias 9/11,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Again, missing teh point. Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom