What's new

India successfully tests anti satellite weapon. Low earth orbit satellite destroyed.

Why modi himself announced this test

Befooling the masses is his favourite tool
Do you know that the space department and nuclear department are directly under the PM? There is no space ministry or nuclear ministry due to this reason. How is the PM addressing India for matters which he is heading "fooling the masses"? What kind of logic is this?

This is a good time to post this Racist New York times cartoon as a reminder about their butt hurt. :D

D2pd70WXcAATcXl.jpg

Do you know that the space department and nuclear department are directly under the PM? There is no space ministry or nuclear ministry due to this reason. How is the PM addressing India for matters which he is heading "fooling the masses"? What kind of logic is this?

He wanted pappu gandhi to declare this :D

You see, he is one of those "secular" minorities. (probably xtian) :agree:

I think recently launched MicrosatR was the target... As far as I remember it was built by DRDO and intended orbit was 286x286km... And the actual interception took place at 300km altitude... I guess the sat had some capability to alter its inclination and altitude as well.

PS: well all satellites have capability to change orbit what i meant that the MicrosatR was maneuvering while missile approaching towards it.

Last edited:
Thread closed for cleanup. Stick to the topic once reopened and refrain from the personal attacks. If you disagree with someones argument, calling it stupid doesn't refute it. Offer fact based, logical rebuttals.

Thread reopened.

The fact that it went from 15 pages to 6 is a pretty shameful indicator of how much trolling and off topic posting was going on.

Any further off topic comments, trolling, flaming etc will result in warning points and possibly bans. It's not that hard to stick to the discussion of the test itself, technical aspects, success/failure and political implications.

India has had ASAT capability for a while.

Why show it off now, will get two answers depending on your political views.

I dont think this is a show off.Had it been tested before he wouldnt say that we achieved the capability only now.

Chinese test caused a lots of ruckus ,this will also cause serious ruckus .
Possible backlash from independent international communities.

India probably bargained for something big from Massa Sam in return for not escalating against Pakistan. Let's see if there's any condescending condemnation from their outlets against space debris.

But I surely don't want to see our political leaders sitting on tv to announce these achievements. It's shameful in my book, but expected from this regime. I just don't want it to be the norm in future regimes.

Why ?
Indira Gandhi and Vajpayee did the same when we tested the nukes .
This is not an ordinary news .

Congratulations India. Indeed this is big day. Only Few countries have this capability.

Only 4 countries have this capability

If Modi is announcing this on TV about ASAT, just before the fortnight remaining for election in India and thinking that it will boost the electorates after the Balakot fiasco and that ended up loosing the face.

Will Modi announcing it on TV helps, everybody knew DRDO India who has developed the so called tech. is Nehru brainchild and he has pioneered the change.

Similarly the Satellite shot down was an ISRO mission, again Nehru can be be credited with it...and boils down to Congress getting the good vibes.

Point is just announcing something, Modi cannot take the credit for such achievements if it is to be believed and don't think it will translate into an upswing for BJP/Modi. RSS pracharaks coming up with something cutting edge will do it for him...
Oh really
Are you from Pakistan ,right?
Congress or BJP both are Indians political parties and Indians here .
There will be a political fight between each parties .But thats it.

There might be a chance that this development fast tracked after Chinese repeated snubbings

Last edited by a moderator:
New arm race just started.
Now Pakistan will be forced to deter.
Not immediately - Pakistan doesn't have any military satellites currently (which would be a target of such an ASAT capability), so there's no immediate need to counter the Indian move.
This is more for China, but India and China would have to be at all out war for either to consider destroying each other's satellites.

Not immediately - Pakistan doesn't have any military satellites currently (which would be a target of such an ASAT capability), so there's no immediate need to counter the Indian move.
This is more for China, but India and China would have to be at all out war for either to consider destroying each other's satellites.
but we need deterence at any cost. All our military communications could be compromised.

Some rocket scientists in this thread seem to be having the time of their lives talking about stuff they know nothing about. The altitude of intercept is a very variable thing, I'm pretty sure future tests will reach much farther heights. But the thing is, you need to have a decommissioned sat in place that you're willing to lose, and which isn't gonna create too much of a problem with regard to space debris.

Taking out sats at lower altitudes means the debris will most likely burn up in the atmosphere instead of sticking around in orbit, posing massive hazards to spacecraft. That's why the Chinese ASAT test drew so much ire.

But really, hitting sats in higher orbits isn't that much of a problem, you just need more fuel is all. Infact as someone already pointed out, hitting sats in lower orbits is tougher, as they are moving at much faster speeds.

+++

But the real significance here is that we demonstrated an ability to take out a fast moving sat in LEO with a hit-to-kill KKV (kinetic kill vehicle). Only the 4th country to demonstrate this capability. And this is only the first step.

An ASAT weapon is no mean feat, and on top of that, a ASAT with KKV warhead is an even bigger achievement.

+++

Now onto the strategic significance...just like there was Nuclear non-proliferation treaty (NPT), there will also be a binding space warfare NPT in future. You can mark those words.

But now India already got its foot in the door with regard to the space warfare NPT. In future, India will enjoy the kind of power the present NPT-signatory countries (P5 UNSC permanent members) enjoy as against the non-NPT ones. People who follow geopolitics will understand the aspects at play here very well.

Some more pics:

DRDO ASAT.jpg

DRDO ASAT 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom