What's new

India, Sri Lanka hold talks on nuclear deal

Ofcourse not. And just to let you know, Pakistan cannot purchase nuclear reactors from any country except China.

And India and US cannot indulge in nuclear trade because our liability laws are incompatible with each other.

And lastly, India has designed and constructed its own nuclear reactors. And Indian reactors are the most economical reactors in the sub 300MW category.
Dont give me that crap kid we all know what yr ''designed'' reactors really are. Russian and old canadian reactors may be not functioning well.

Dont give me that crap kid we all know what yr ''designed'' reactors really are. Russian and old canadian reactors may be not functioning well.
That is all the confirmation I needed.
I am talking to a child. It was my mistake and I wasted my time.

Read up more if you can about the FBR, KAMINI and AWHR programs. The only country which could have helped were the Americans in these reactors, none of the ones you quoted can, even today. But, if you realise the Americans and Indian routes were different. In fact, the American design, from what little have read is more similar to the Chinese approach.

One of the reasons Pakistan may never try for thorium is similar to the US decision in the 60s.

Was researching few interesting facts about this.. Sri Lanka is the only country in South Asia to have uninterrupted power 24/7, 365 days of the year, Despite certain periods of drought (It pays a massive amount on fuel imports to run thermal power plants).. Also the national grid covers almost 94% of the country as of 2012.. So it must be close to 100% now with the former war torn area's getting connected

Electricity in Sri Lanka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lanka Business Report

I guess they want to limit the reliance on thermal power and explore the possibilities of nuclear energy.. With the economy expected to reach very high growth rates the energy consumption will be much higher

There are plans for a under sea power cable form India to Sri Lanka as well.. Probably for future power exports via Kundakulam(Spell ?) ??

India–Sri Lanka HVDC Interconnection

India–Sri Lanka HVDC Interconnection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But i wonder the security considerations of this.. Over dependency on India especially for a vital sector like power may not be a very good idea.. Better options would be collaboration on nuclear and other technology research with them

But i wonder the security considerations of this.. Over dependency on India especially for a vital sector like power may not be a very good idea.. Better options would be collaboration on nuclear and other technology research with them

I think it depends on Sri Lanka's needs - ie, how much electricity it needs. If it needs a lot, then investing in power plants and techonology and research would be a good idea. OTOH, if it's needs are modest compared to India's, then it makes more economic sense to import it from India and let India make all the investment required.

Compare it to the defence industry, for example - it doesn't make any sense for SL to develop a huge military industrial complex and develop and manufacture helicopters and fighters and tanks - it is much more economical to buy from abroad, since the volume needed is low. OTOH, for India it is the oppposite - developing our own defence industries can save us a lot of money, since we need thousands of aircrafts and helicopters, and any money invested into building an industry will be more than worth it.

In power, India is set to increase its generation manyfold, especially nuclear power. It might be cheaper for SL to ride on India's tailcoat and not duplicate the massive initial investments required. It depends on the numbers, of course.

In any case, how is it a security risk? India and SL are going to have friendly relations for a long time to come. And in the unlikely eventt of hostilities with India, loss of power should be the last thing for SL to worry about.

I think it depends on Sri Lanka's needs - ie, how much electricity it needs. If it needs a lot, then investing in power plants and techonology and research would be a good idea. OTOH, if it's needs are modest compared to India's, then it makes more economic sense to import it from India and let India make all the investment required.

Compare it to the defence industry, for example - it doesn't make any sense for SL to develop a huge military industrial complex and develop and manufacture helicopters and fighters and tanks - it is much more economical to buy from abroad, since the volume needed is low. OTOH, for India it is the oppposite - developing our own defence industries can save us a lot of money, since we need thousands of aircrafts and helicopters, and any money invested into building an industry will be more than worth it.

In power, India is set to increase its generation manyfold, especially nuclear power. It might be cheaper for SL to ride on India's tailcoat and not duplicate the massive initial investments required. It depends on the numbers, of course.

In any case, how is it a security risk? India and SL are going to have friendly relations for a long time to come. And in the unlikely eventt of hostilities with India, loss of power should be the last thing for SL to worry about.

Well i think India is building in collaboration a $360 Million coal power plant in the East already, So ties in that aspect is already strong..

Sampur Power Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My contention is in world politics you cant be too dependent on each other, The consequences can be detrimental the sovereignty.. This has nothing to with current Indo/Lanka relationship but with due consideration given to certain sections of India being highly attritional to the island

Any ideas where are we with reference to the research that was going on on using thorium FBRs to generate energy?

Dr. Kalam had given a speech about it in 2009 and some news flashed here and there. What is the status now?

Because if that reactor tech is successful, we would virtually become self-reliant and net exporters of Thorium to the world.

Any ideas where are we with reference to the research that was going on on using thorium FBRs to generate energy?

Dr. Kalam had given a speech about it in 2009 and some news flashed here and there. What is the status now?

Because if that reactor tech is successful, we would virtually become self-reliant and net exporters of Thorium to the world.

The first prototype FBR is expected to go critical this September.

India’s Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor at advanced stage of completion - The Hindu

I don't know if we should export Thorium. Our own needs are going to be huge.

Read up more if you can about the FBR, KAMINI and AWHR programs. The only country which could have helped were the Americans in these reactors, none of the ones you quoted can, even today. But, if you realise the Americans and Indian routes were different. In fact, the American design, from what little have read is more similar to the Chinese approach.

One of the reasons Pakistan may never try for thorium is similar to the US decision in the 60s.
What he meant was the CANDU (PHWR) reactor which we bought from Canada before our first nuclear tests and later modified into PHWR and now AHWR(Not very 'cutting edge', eh?).
At any rate, India, as usual, has shot itself in the foot by sticking to the solid core approach which was designed 60 years ago, LOL. Which other country sticks on to 60 years old plans that would take another 20 years to complete. That too if there are no more delays, LOL.
China as usual would start from behind and totally destroy India in yet another race. They are going for the best possible thorium reactor - LFTR's and have the required technical and industrial capacity to lead the world towards a thorium economy while Indian newspapers will keep on parroting - 'largest thorium reserves', 'leader in thorium research' etc.

according to (12/2/2014) Lok Sabha report PFBRs schedule to attend critically in September ( date - 7 to 21)

What he meant was the CANDU (PHWR) reactor which we bought from Canada before our first nuclear tests and later modified into PHWR and now AHWR(Not very 'cutting edge', eh?).
At any rate, India, as usual, has shot itself in the foot by sticking to the solid core approach which was designed 60 years ago, LOL. Which other country sticks on to 60 years old plans that would take another 20 years to complete. That too if there are no more delays, LOL.
China as usual would start from behind and totally destroy India in yet another race. They are going for the best possible thorium reactor - LFTR's and have the required technical and industrial capacity to lead the world towards a thorium economy while Indian newspapers will keep on parroting - 'largest thorium reserves', 'leader in thorium research' etc.

source plz......(about China thorium based FBRs)

Back
Top Bottom