What's new

India set to use Japanese bullet train technology for Mumbai-Ahmedabad rout

I am only interested in speed and facilities in the bullet train and the ticket price. :D

exactly, the most obvious use of differential equations is to calculate acceleration.

I know mate. I used matlab before.

sorry, its just that in all the time i have known it, this is the only time it has done me any good. so got a bit excited :D

the only times we use differentiation is probably when studying dosage administration.

You will do alot of differentiation and even Integration in Biochemistry, and a lesser extend, Organic Chemistry. One small part of the course included inorganic biochemistry - such as how Iron and Magnesium are held in Porphyrin rings, which has a high level of Math content. In Biochemical Osllication, equations like ''a/ax^2 (dx^i+1/dt)'' will come up.

I know mate. I used matlab before.

What did you study :laugh:

You will do alot of differentiation and even Integration in Biochemistry, and a lesser extend, Organic Chemistry. One small part of the course included inorganic biochemistry - such as how Iron and Magnesium are held in Porphyrin rings, which has a high level of Math content. In Biochemical Osllication, equations like ''a/ax^2 (dx^i+1/dt)'' will come up.

What did you study :laugh:
i see, i hope will do fine. maths has thankfully never been a problem for me.

Finally some mathematics discussion. :D

You seen nothing yet :D

3.(a) According to the Michaelis-Menten equation, what is the v/vmax ratio when = 4Km?
(b) If vmax = 100micromol/mL sec and Km = 2mM, what is the velocity of the reaction when = 20mM?

4. (a) The Ka for formic acid is 1.78x10-4. What is the pH of a 0.1M solution of formic acid?
(b) NaOH is a strong base. What is the pH of a 0.1M solution of NaOH?

5. The following data are found for the steady-state kinetics of a multi-subunit enzyme:

(mmol/L)/Initial rate, v [(mmol/L) s-1]
0.25 0.26
0.33 0.45
0.50 0.92
0.75 1.80
1.00 2.50
2.00 4.10
4.00 4.80

Does this enzyme follow Michaelis-Menten kinetics?
Hint: Use a Lineweaver-Burk plot.

Answer: 3a. So, you need to start with the Michaelis-Menten equation:

v = Vmax / (Km + )
Divide both sides by Vmax to give:

v/Vmax = / (Km + )

Now, substitute 4Km for . That will give you:

v/Vmax = 4Km/ (Km + 4 Km) = 4 Km / 5 Km

The Km cancels, so you have:

v/Vmax = 4/5. In other words, if the concentration of the substrate is 4X Km, then the reaction will be going at 4/5 of the Vmax.

3b.Start again with the Michaels-Menten equation and just substitute the values that you are given. You can directly calculate v. This is not a hard problem, at all.

4a. For any weak acid in water, the weak acid dissociates to form H+ ions and the conjugate base, in this case formate ions. The equilibrium reaction is:

HFor <--> H+ + For-

The expression for Ka is:

Ka = [H+][For-]/[HFor] = 1.78 X 10-4

When you just add the weak acid to water, [H+] = [For-]. Also, because this is a weak acid, nearly all of the formic acid in the solution is still in the HFor form. So, the equilibrium constant expression becomes:

Ka = 1.78 X 10-4 = [H+]^2/0.1

When you solve this, you find that [H+] = 4.2 X 10-3. So, the pH = 2.4

4b. A strong base completely dissociates in solution, so [OH-] = 0.1 M. Since [H+][OH-] = 1 X 10-14, [H+] = 1 X 10-13, and pH = 13.

5. A Lineweaver-Burk plot has 1/v as a function of 1/. So, find the inverse of each value in your table, and plot 1/v on the Y-axis and 1/ on the X-axis.

@Type 052D My juniors used it a lot. This equation. I know a bit about research and Mathematical models and equations. :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom