What's new

India selects EF, Rafale for MMRCA shortlist

Who is now the Favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eurofighter versus Rafale in India's $10.4-billion combat jet tender

New Delhi, April 27

It is now virtually an all-European battle for India's $10.4-billion order for 126 combat jets with the US and Russia almost out of the race after the defence ministry Wednesday asked EADS and Dassault to extend the validity of their commercial bids.

With this indirect down select, it is almost clear that American majors Boeing and Lockheed Martin have not made the cut and neither have Sweden's SAAB and Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) in the tender for the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) for the Indian Air Force (IAF), described as the "mother of all defence deals".

An official announcement in this regard is expected Thursday from the defence ministry, an official told IANS.

EADS has offered its Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault the Rafale for the tender issued in August 2007. Boeing had pitted the F/A-18, Lockheed Martin the F-16, UAC the MiG-35 and SAAB the Gripen against the two fighter jets that are now deemed to have cleared the technical evaluation completed by the IAF last March.

The commercial bids for the contract were to expire Thursday and had to be extended by the competing vendors on a request from the defence ministry.
"It (the down select) is not official yet. An announcement is likely to be made Thursday," the official said, when asked if EADS and Dassault are the only two firms to have been asked to extend the validity of their commercial bids.

The four-year contest for the Indian contract was hard fought by all the six vendors with "aggressive marketing" by them.
Except for EADS and UAC, all the other firms had offered and allowed joy rides by Indian politicians, movie stars and journalists during the biennial AeroIndia show held in February at Yelahanka air base in Bangalore in 2009 and 2011.

The tendering process itself was threatened earlier this year after the offset plans of the six firms went missing after a bureaucrat in the defence ministry lost the file while carrying it home and was later found on the roadside in south Delhi within a few hours.
A probe held by the defence ministry indicted the bureaucrat, but concluded that tender was not compromised by the official's lapse and decided to complete the process.

The deal, to be finalised this fiscal, will fetch India $5 billion investment in the form of 50 percent offsets, a clause that mandates the winning firm to plough back half the deal's worth to energise the Indian defence industry.

While the IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik, had pressed for the deal to be finalised by July this year, when his tenure ends, Defence Minister A.K. Antony had said during the AeroIndia show in February that the contract would be awarded before March 2012.

On Monday, Antony had also warned the army and air force top brass in their conferences being held here to be wary of "corrupt practices by vested interests in the garb of aggressive marketing" in some of the major defence deals that India was to sign this year, including the combat jet contract.
India has earmarked Rs.69,199 crore ($15 billion) for capital expenditure in the defence budget for 2011-12 in view of the major defence deals to be clinched this fiscal.

Eurofighter versus Rafale in India's $10.4-billion combat jet tender

Yes I understand but remember the F 18 c/d have been operating in switzerland where the conditions are similar to leh.

Bro, here it is not individual perfomance that was considered, but how relatively it fared as compared to Rafale and EFT.

For example the F-18 might have taken off with 1500 kgs (just an example) while the Rafale and EFT might have taken off with 2000 and 2500 Kgs respectively.

So while the Swiss may be satisfied with a 1500 kg payload, according to IAF it may be considered a failure on a relative scale of Rafale and EFT.

I hope am clear.

You should think again ... Remember Shakti for Dhruv.. I am really skeptical about their so called ToT..

Is it not performing well ? Or are you in French bashing mood ? :what:

look at the poll ...it looks like rafale is the clear winner in pdf...

Welcome sir..RAFALE fans were having tough time convincing every one of RAFALE's superiority,,:lol:

Too bad my two favorites F-16 and Mig-35 did not make the cut..:cry:

As I always said, I want the best fighter that suits our forces, and today that it's Rafale, 10 years ago that would be the EF!
Even if the news is true, I will celebrate only about IAF / MoD not falling on political pressure and focusing on what is important for India, ToT, offsets, less restrictions!

I am feeling sad about Gripen....good plane ...decent capabilities..at a good price !!!! Nevermind...Rafale has been my second favorite.....

find me one other indian non newbie poster here who agrees with your moronic claim below that the US will react as such. go ahead appeal to any Indian to join that idiotic statement below.

Thats what happens when you have half brain................... do you think what ever people write here or express is nothing but serious and facts. Nut head... get a life. some time try to understand jokes. and then react. Not just start shooting.

And don't try to show me your post count........... that does not makes you more intelligent then me. Post count with your reaction shows, that either you dont have much work to do or you are just a Laptop baby.

Eurofighter rules!!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

For last four years I continuously supported this fighter. This is the newest and the best among six. This fighter will give us an edge of enemy.

eurofighter.jpg

I will not be unhappy if Rafale is selected. ;)

rafale_show9.jpg

whole world knows EFT kicks butt in air 2 air warfare...

Agreed -- but we desperately need A2G more than A2A with our Mig 27s scheduled to be retired soon and even the Jaguars scheduled to be retired.

For A2A we already have the Mig 29 upgraded and even the MKI and Rafale can do the job admirably given the opponents in the region.

And that is till only 2018 and then the Indo-Russian King will come.

BENNY i am searching for that rafale video u posted on some early pages on this thread,but am not getting can u post again........?????????

can anyone imagine and tell how would be the reply and coments of our advesaries in PDF if india shortlisted F-16 and gripen by chance ::::: ;)

777 Howies,C-17s, P-8I,C-130 J - US happy

PAKFA mega deal,Mig-29 Upg, Brahmos hypersonic version, Addl MKIs ,Akula subs - Russia happy.

Barak,ELTA Radars, other Avionics - Israel happy

Scorpene,Rafale,Mirage upg - France happy

EU ?:cry:

EU? Eurofighter Typhoon. :partay:

BTW not just making them happy, all of these are bests in the world. They competed against other weapons of similar classes.

Terrible news for "Russia", the strategic partner "America" and "Sweden" !!!

EuroFighter is a good choice by India but French Rafale with possibly no customers, damn bad, India didnot made a good choice and sheer waste of money. Gripen NG would have been a far better choice,

Pakistan should be atleast part happy with Indias choice of "Rafale" and part worried about "EF", to be frank honest about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom