What's new

India selects EF, Rafale for MMRCA shortlist

Who is now the Favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
was there not an article posted here-- speaking to the French aircraft that was not able to sell to anyone other than the French- had a huge investment from the French govt- infact it was teetering on its govt not being able to keep it propped up anymore ?

what more investment?? Its not in a developmental phase and also its not looking for F-35s like EF partners.. So they will do the investments for their own good..

Cool down mate! :) Let's wait for something official, be it MoD, IAF, or any press release of the vendors.

Welcome sir..RAFALE fans were having tough time convincing every one of RAFALE's superiority,,:lol:

Too bad my two favorites F-16 and Mig-35 did not make the cut..:cry:

Well Obama wont be able to create those jobs for americans that he intended to do with this deal........... Good job by keping out both US and Russia

I think its too late ... French are too sensitive on these... i was expecting a French Cry if it was rejected..

Now i am interested in Mirage upgrades.. will it be scrapped??:what:

Mirage deal getting cancelled?, Doesnt make sense....See you are giving an indication as to why this is a critical stage. If Mirage upgrade is cancelled just because France gets MRCA then its a bad thing. Coz those fighters are still capable and can help us, from an economic and security POV.

I might sound a bit pessimistic right now, but its only coz I want France to win this.

The only place US can bargain and I am sure they will is that they have economy of scale. Their bids are cheaper and thats a huge factor..

How come some idiots are rooting for Rafale simply because it looks good? Are you guys idiots? Choose a plane based on a multitude of factors, technology just being one. I hope we look at aircraft where we get to improve our existing aircraft industry.

No one is rooting for it because it looks good. Because it is the best out there. If you would ask me...I would have gone to the F 18 E/F and Rafale in split order. As it is not feasible Rafale and EFT were the obvious shortlist.

my '"paining nerve" does not exist- its my alert of 'stuck on stupid' radar that went off. you are ignorant if you think US policy is based off an aircraft deal while they have bigger military, strategic deals in place and interests with India.

Definitely i have touched it........ otherwise you would not have barked so loud. Anyway i don't need to explain as everyone here knows what drives US foreign policies and Strategies. So just keep ur f...k mouth shut. And don't bother us.

No one is rooting for it because it looks good. Because it is the best out there. If you would ask me...I would have gone to the F 18 E/F and Rafale in split order. As it is not feasible Rafale and EFT were the obvious shortlist.

Split orders dont work welll........ You should just go for one full order

I dont buy that. They have been operating the C/D models in Switzerland for years. So those must have been in their minds. And the Ge-414 is a derivative of the 404 used in the LCA and is going to be fitted in the Tejas MK-2.

Not only the engines, but also the payloads and airframe design play a role in that.

Cool down mate! :) Let's wait for something official, be it MoD, IAF, or any press release of the vendors.

Spot on Bro!....Its not official and I am sure Americans are closely watching it. The official confirmation "if it comes" saying these two are shortlisted then it will come with very strong explaination as to why it was rejected.

what more investment?? Its not in a developmental phase and also its not looking for F-35s like EF partners.. So they will do the investments for their own good..

The French Fighter Jet That Nobody Wants

The Rafale fighter, made by France's Dassault Aviation, is loaded with high-tech avionics, radar, and targeting systems. Now all it needs are customers. France has been peddling the supersonic jet since 2000 and hasn't sold a single one. In the latest setback, Brazil said on Jan. 17 that it would reopen bidding for a fighter contract worth up to $7 billion—a deal France had thought it was close to sealing last year. Neither Dassault nor the French Defense Ministry would comment on Brazil's decision.

The Rafale's plight signals the end of an era for France. With their Mirage fighter program, developed in the 1950s, the French were able to bolster their national defense, promote new technologies, and provide well-paying jobs—while recouping much of the cost by exporting hundreds of jets worldwide. Hoping to duplicate that model, the French government has spent some $53 billion on the Rafale, more than the country's $40 billion annual defense budget. But deal after deal has fallen through, with prospective buyers South Korea, Singapore, and Morocco choosing Boeing's (BA) F-15 and Lockheed Martin's (LMT) F-16 over the Rafale.

Midsize suppliers such as France are being outgunned by bigger competitors. The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, for example, is being developed by a U.S.-led consortium of nine countries that plan to buy more than 2,500 of the planes. That will ensure plenty of revenue from production and upgrades. Britain, Germany, Italy, and Spain have similarly joined forces to produce the new Eurofighter jet. "Nationally driven, nationally financed and controlled production of the most advanced weapons systems is now the exclusive purview of the U.S. and Russia, and in the future, China as well," says Mark Bromley, a senior researcher at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, a Swedish think tank.

Changing global politics has worked against France, too. During the Cold War, France successfully marketed the Mirage as an alternative to U.S. and Soviet planes. Other customers, such as the United Arab Emirates, bought French planes after the U.S. balked at providing high-tech weaponry. Now, though, the U.S. is eagerly seeking sales in the Gulf states. Many foreign governments, in turn, see arms deals as a way to forge closer defense ties with the U.S., says Loïc Tribot La Spière, an analyst at the Center for Studies and Prospective Strategy, a Paris think tank. "The sentiment is, 'We buy American because it assures security,' " he says.

The 93 Rafales produced by Dassault so far have gone to the French armed forces. To sustain production, the government has agreed to spend $1.1 billion on more Rafales over three years, even as it tries to pare budget deficits. Finding customers will only get harder. As the Joint Strike Fighter enters service, U.S. manufacturers are set to increase their share of the $16 billion-a-year fighter aircraft market over the next decade from nearly 58 percent to more than 67 percent, according to forecasts by the Virginia-based Teal Group aerospace consultancy. Eurofighter and Russian manufacturers will get most of the rest, Teal predicts.

The longer the Rafale order book stays empty, the harder it will be to sell the plane, Teal analyst Richard Aboulafia says. "Customers like to see a home government that is determined to keep spending on buying and upgrading the aircraft" with the latest technology. Instead, he says, the Rafale is on budgetary life support. "That's the last thing you want customers to see."

The bottom line: France's decision to go it alone on its fighter program has cost the country $53 billion, with no export sales to offset the price.

rafale-crash-260909.jpg

images
India.gif
.............:smitten:

Definitely i have touched it........ otherwise you would not have barked so loud. Anyway i don't need to explain as everyone here knows what drives US foreign policies and Strategies. So just keep ur f...k mouth shut. And don't bother us.

find me one other indian non newbie poster here who agrees with your moronic claim below that the US will react as such. go ahead appeal to any Indian to join that idiotic statement below.

After this...........US reaction

1. India is not Fit for UN permanent seat.
2. Pakistan is our(US) true friend.
3. Will have to rethink our(US) Strategic partnership with India.
4. Obama plans visit to Pakistan.
5. Bla Bla Bla...................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom