What's new

India’s vanishing Parsis

Well my Dada ji was not alive when i was born

Vsdoc can i talk to you in pvt by any means i may knw something interesting just want to know if you belong to this root as well

I don't know how bro.

I keep hearing rotor blades of Pakistani Special Forces choppers over my house ......

Or a joint action force of Pakistani, Iranian, and Arab forces with help from some friendly Indians (GPS "painting" .....)

Why do you as a Pakistani believe that simply being a Shia gives you the credence of commenting on an Iranian's psyche, while what we as pure blooded Persian Zoroastrians say is a figment our imagination?

Because attitudes are shaped by ideology, not genetics.

If the draw of a common religion over common ancestry were actually so strong, then equally why do you believe as a Shia Muslim today (with no Zoroastrian or Persian link whatsoever) that the pull of Islam of a millenium will outpower the pull of Zoroastrianism (and older Mithraism) of over five millenia in the hearts of true Persians?

Because Iranians do not see it as an either-or. They believe they can practice Zoroastrian rituals while remaining true to their Muslim faith. I agree that some Muslims and Zoroastrians with extreme views may find this concept unfathomable, but there it is.

The reason I can speak for Iranians thus is because many Muslims in Pakistan also behave like so (we practice Hindu rituals) and also because I have known a LOT of Iranians of all faiths (Jewish, Muslim, Bahai, Christian) who all practice ancient rituals while keeping their 'normal' faith.

Anyway, I do not want to belabor this point. I only responded to your specific questions and it's best to return the thread to the topic of Parsis (whom I respect a lot as a people.)

Developer, please understand that what you see today is the start of a wave that is going to envelope Iran and its mullas soon.

Iranians come from different stock to inherently peaceful desis.

When the fuse snaps, it will be difficult to hold back.

And its building to snapping point.

Has been building for quite some time.

P.S. I see you've apparently met all Iranians except Zoroastrian Iranians. :disagree:

Is it the company you keep by choice?

P.S. I see you've apparently met all Iranians except Zoroastrian Iranians. :disagree:

Purely by chance. Los Angeles is full of Jewish and Bahai Iranians (understatement), and I met Shia and Christian Iranians elsewhere;

Is it the company you keep by choice?

Haven't met any, or any who identified themselves as such. The only Zoroastrians I know are in Pakistan.

So tell me Developer.

In your interactions with the expat Iranian crowd, the Shias you met were highly religious?

Man I have my entire jing bang cousin network in LA and what you say cannot be further from the truth ....

What is Hinduism in your opinion which is not exhibit by inter-state marriages and which coustoms are not followed by Hindus that is leading Hinduism towards decline?

We are loosing the Spiritual aspect, today we pray 'Bhagwaan lag gayi hai..bacchha le' where as many years ago it was vedas, chalis, books, yagnas..people use you pray (the right way) everyday, no celebrations in a family where complete in the family without kathas aur pujas..The priority was Religion..Money..so on and so forth but now everybody is becoming more materialistic. Festivals, Customs everything has lost it's essence. Once upon a time marriage or praying rituals lasted for hours/days now it's done in minutes, Once pilgrimages and other religious activities were top priorities but the newer generation doesn't really care..add to that families preferring only 1 max 2 kids and other religions marketing themselves aggressively and growing Christianity on counts of conversion and Islam on count of higher fertility

So tell me Developer.

In your interactions with the expat Iranian crowd, the Shias you met were highly religious?

All types.

Man I have my entire jing bang cousin network in LA and what you say cannot be further from the truth ....

I don't know where your cousins live, but Westwood, Sherman Oaks and Beverly Hills are full of Jewish and Bahai Iranians. The less wealthy ones live up in the Valley. I didn't meet any who identified themselves as Zoroastrian, which is not to say they don't exist, of course, but numberswise, they don't stand out. There is also a large (Christian) Armenian community which could be counted as (ethnic) Iranian because many of them speak Persian.

Developer, not to start a religious debate here, but you do realize that Shia Islam per se is Zoroastrianized Islam?

And that the Bahais are mid way between that and full-fledged Zoroastrianism - closer to the latter?

Developer, not to start a religious debate here, but you do realize that Shia Islam per se is Zoroastrianized Islam?

And that the Bahais are mid way between that and full-fledged Zoroastrianism - closer to the latter?

Beyond the core tenets, Islam has many different variations, each with its own distinct set of customs, rituals and beliefs, so your statement may well be true for certain sects of Shias. Islam has a local flavor in many parts of the world, so why not in Iran?

As for Bahais, I don't know much so if you say so, fine.

Beyond the core tenets, Islam has many different variations, each with its own distinct set of customs, rituals and beliefs, so your statement may well be true for certain sects of Shias. Islam has a local flavor in many parts of the world, so why not in Iran?

As for Bahais, I don't know much so if you say so, fine.

That's why my earlier question to you about Shias in the sub-continent.

That's why my earlier question to you about Shias in the sub-continent.

Sure, but the central tenets of the Shia faith are inviolate across the spectrum. Anyone who doesn't understand the significance of Hazrat Ali (as) and his son Imam Hussain's (as) martyrdom will not understand the absolute rock solid devotion to the faith. It's purely emotional and probably beyond rational explanations.

Parsis should allow a parsi woman to have more than one parsi husband. Like Draupadi had. Do parsis have mythological epics like Ramayana or Mahabharata?

Parsis should allow a parsi woman to have more than one parsi husband. Like Draupadi had. Do parsis have mythological epics like Ramayana or Mahabharata?

Man the problem is the opposite.

We have firstly more females than males.

Secondly, and I say this pretty brutally, a lot of our males in Mumbai are the baila (pansy) sort, who will be mamas boys (Dadar Parsi colony sorts).

That and the fact that statistically our girls are often more qualified and earn better than our boys.

So oftentimes it is the woman's lament that there are just not enough eligible males.

They should allow studs like me to have 17 wives instead.

I haven't read this whole thread yet. But I will say, that if Iranians where allowed to change religions freely (currently not allowed) there is a certain percentage that would definitely revert to Zoroastrianism. Mainly from the youth, but also from older generations who have never accepted Islam as their own. Now wether this number will be in the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions is not known yet.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom