What's new

India’s vanishing Parsis

Pertinent corollary to this. Pointed out to me by an Iranian, Abi, when we were crossing swords on a similar issue some time back.

Are the Parsis "cute and cuddly" because they are so small in number and are thus non-threatening to the big number majorities (Hindus and Muslims)in India?

Would the world react differently to 120 million Shia Iranians versus 120 million Zoroastrian Iranians?

Can there be a living link between the now Indian Zoroastrian faith to the present day Iranians?

Are the two of us (Indians and Iranians) very different people culturally (besides the obvious points of race and language and script and clothing and food).

Are the souls of the two people still closely linked?

On all these questions will depend the success of eventual reversion of Islamic Iran to Zoroastrian Persia once again - or shades of grey in between initially as Abii suggests.
Well ks made this point that if a group exists in large number it is not always that they are violent in nature
Christians too are in huge number but no one has any problem with them we hindus are in great numbers we dont tend to hurt anyone till the time they dont start hurting us in case of parsis it does not matter in what numbers you are even a small group of people are enough to show what they are made of if given a chance today i will swap any minority with you guys

Well ks made this point that if a group exists in large number it is not always that they are violent in nature
Christians too are in huge number but no one has any problem with them we hindus are in great numbers we dont tend to hurt anyone till the time they dont start hurting us in case of parsis it does not matter in what numbers you are even a small group of people are enough to show what they are made of if given a chance today i will swap any minority with you guys

Thanks for the sweet vote of confidence bro. The debt to India will never be forgotten. It is a part of our collective DNA. It is how we bring up our kids. As fiercely patriotic proud Indians.

But there is an important flaw in your argument.

Christianity was historically never benign or lacking in violent missionary zeal.

Dare I say it, they were more efficient than the Muslims.

They were sea-farers - and there lies the crux.

History FAIL. But considering who it is, I'm not surprised.

It was the Hindu king Jadi Rana who gave refuge to the Parsis fleeing persecution from Islam on the promise that they would not mix with the local population and would maintain their blood.

And the Parsis too were not intent on staying in India forever. India was just considered to be their rallying point to win back Persia from the Arabian hordes. Hence the need to maintain the bloodlines.

Remember, this is not about proselytizing, but children of mixed marriages. People do fall in love and mixed marriages do happen. You can't legislate against that. The reformists want to include the children into the fold, but the hardliners won't accept the racially 'impure' children.

But you are welcome to believe whatever fairy tale soothes your self-respect.

And frankly why do you care about Iranian shias..Will your personal faith suffer from a crisis if they revert ?

It's not about caring, but bringing a dose of reality to some of the comments here.

Dude you are talking from a Pakistani psyche. The looking-for-justification-for-47 psyche. Not the Iranian psyche.

Pakistani Shia psyche is not the same as Iranian shia psyche just like Pakistani sunni psyche is not the same as Arab psyche.

So says the expert on Pakistan, Iran, Shias and Sunnis...

And the Indian Parsis don't consider you good enough to be inducted into their faith because you would spoil their racial purity.

Deal with it.[/QUOTE]
fine with me if they dont whats bothering you so much if the term PARSI is been discussed IRAN will be there directly or indirectly

Developer, I am curious.

When and how did Shia Islam come to the sub-continent?

Were you guys Hindu to Shia direct inorganic converts ?

Or were you Hindu to Sunni to Shia hybrid inorganic-organic converts ?

Don't know, don't care.

It's all in the ancient past and we are happy with who we are today.

Although Parsis are so few in number..their impact in every field Business, Entertainment, Science is immense, yet common people know very less about Parsis, their beliefs, their culture etc, they are so secretive :(

ps: Parsis should become separatists and ask for Dadar Parsi Colony as separate country then probably everybody will come to know about them :p:P

Thanks for the sweet vote of confidence bro. The debt to India will never be forgotten. It is a part of our collective DNA. It is how we bring up our kids. As fiercely patriotic proud Indians.

But there is an important flaw in your argument.

Christianity was historically never benign or lacking in violent missionary zeal.

Dare I say it, they were more efficient than the Muslims.

They were sea-farers - and there lies the crux.
With the christians i meant the modern day indian christians in past every religion was barbaric including hindusim the hindu gods also killed the asuras who they thought to be violent and not upto the standards or sharing there point of view

It was the Hindu king Jadi Rana who gave refuge to the Parsis fleeing persecution from Islam on the promise that they would not mix with the local population and would maintain their blood.

he was afraidof the martial race viz a viz his power to rule

Doc how come every 10th Parsi is multi-billionaire? Where the Tatas', Godrejs', Rustomjees' billionaire when they migrated to India and how come so few Parsis control so much real estate in places like Mumbai and more?

Although Parsis are so few in number..their impact in every field Business, Entertainment, Science is immense, yet common people know very less about Parsis, their beliefs, their culture etc, they are so secretive :(

Cmon bro! I am here. Ask me whatever you want to know. There was a nice thread sometime back as well on food and dress and other cultural and ritualistic issues.

ps: Parsis should become separatists and ask for Dadar Parsi Colony as separate country then probably everybody will come to know about them :p:P

:rofl:

Please man ..... all of us put together can fit inside Eden Gardens stadium.

We need you Hindus to protect us. ;)

Remember, this is not about proselytizing, but children of mixed marriages. People do fall in love and mixed marriages do happen. You can't legislate against that. The reformists want to include the children into the fold, but the hardliners won't accept the racially 'impure' children.

But you are welcome to believe whatever fairy tale soothes your self-respect.

I gave you the historical context from both the Hindu and the Parsi side for that. In those days the people from the western lands were called mlecchas and hence unfit for intermingling. You don't want to accept that because it does not fit your frame. Good for you.

And people who believe in moon splitting must be the last to teach others about fairy tales.

It's not about caring, but bringing a dose of reality to some of the comments here.

There is hardly anything 'real' about what you are bringing. Just your insecurity.

So says the expert on Pakistan, Iran, Shias and Sunnis...

Isnt it too obvious ? And believe me, you aint the first person to see the world.

Au contraire people from the west of bharat varsh were called mlecchas..simply meaning "of lower blood" and hence unfit to intermingle.

Doc how come every 10th Parsi is multi-billionaire? Where the Tatas', Godrejs', Rustomjees' billionaire when they migrated to India and how come so few Parsis control so much real estate in places like Mumbai and more?

Not every tenth Parsi man, come on! :P I am a middle class naukri walla doctor. Most of us are professionals.

I guess we did well under the British. And I suspect it had nothing to do with us being more "westernised" as a community but more frankly racial in genesis.

Something the Parsis used, but never abused at the cost of their own people.

Some hindus were and are very strict to their blood lines they dont allow foreign blood to mix with them Rajput was one such sect maybe that was the reason as to such a condition

Some hindus were and are very strict to their blood lines they dont allow foreign blood to mix with them Rajput was one such sect maybe that was the reason as to such a condition

Dude its simple. In those days people from the western lands were referred to as mlechhas, of lower blood and hence were not to be inter mingled with. What started as a cultural, practical move from both sides soon became institutionalized especially among the Parsis who had a religious authority unlike Hinduism which does not have one.

Developer is trying a cop out and nothing else.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom