What's new

India’s vanishing Parsis

Cool bro - you check out. Since I cannot send you PMs, here goes.

Coming over to Pune anytime soon?

Go to Komrah ni Agiari.

Do your kusti and go inside to buy sookhar.

There tell the chaasni waalo you are my friend from Defence.pk

Remember, of the many there, he is the only naavar.

He will bring you to me. :)

Sorry for the OT posts guys. Some impromptu matchmaking going on.

How cool would it be if Defence.pk could be responsible for adding another 3-4 Parsis to this planet!!!

You are putting too much pressure on Angeldust:lol:

2-3 is the bare minimum community norm anyway. Enforced by the old ladies till both your cheeks are aflame in embarrassment.

The extra one over than is my matchmaking commission. :lol:

See anyways, even though most of us do not avail of it, the community pays each couple 10,000 rupees per child from the 3rd child onwards - per month.

The other children too get something in some weird reducing algorithm.

But you have to go through some paperwork in Mumbai. What a pain.

Would have been good petrol money for me .....

@vsdoc, sorry for the late reply. In Iran most wear it without the circle thing around it. However I actually got mine from a Zoroastrian jeweller, maybe he was playing a trick on me by selling a girls one. Who knows? :D

In terms of direction, I really have no clue. But here is an old reference from Persepolis, around 2,500 years old. In this he is facing towards the right. So unless other examples from the same time period show it facing the other direction, then this should be taken as the correct one.

Persepolis_-_carved_Faravahar.JPG

If you want to know the script which your Iranian ancestors used, I would need more information about where they came from. They could have either spoken Old Persian, which modern day Persian is derived from. Or they could have spoken Avestan, which modern day Pashto derives from.

Old Persian used the cuneiform script:
Behistun_DB1_1-15.jpg

While Avestan had its own alphabet:
Bodleian_J2_fol_175_Y_28_1.jpg

If you want to know the script which your Iranian ancestors used, I would need more information about where they came from. They could have either spoken Old Persian, which modern day Persian is derived from. Or they could have spoken Avestan, which modern day Pashto derives from.

So people say Khorasan, some say the Pars region?

Sorry for the OT posts guys. Some impromptu matchmaking going on.

How cool would it be if Defence.pk could be responsible for adding another 3-4 Parsis to this planet!!!

Dakttar Sahib, its your fault ! :angry:

How can a Parsi Casanova like your esteemed self not spread the seed around and create a couple of dozen new Parsis on the planet ? :D

So people say Khorasan, some say the Pars region?

Pars region then definitely Old Persian, as that is where the language first started. If Khorasan, then probably Avestan.

If I remember correctly, Zoroaster himself was born in Khorasan (either Iran or Afghanistan).

Pars region then definitely Old Persian, as that is where the language first started. If Khorasan, then probably Avestan.

If I remember correctly, Zoroaster himself was born in Khorasan (either Iran or Afghanistan).

And also that the name was Zarathushtra, which refers to 'the owner of old camels'. Now it is translated as Zarthosth.

Avestan is also spectacularly similar to Vedic Sanskrit, with places named as Baghdad - Baghdata-'gift of God'.
Iran is ofcourse, a contraction of the name called Ariyanam Veajem. The delta region is called 'Hafta-Hindu' commonly called Sapta-Sindhu in Sanskrit.

Perhaps of all words surprising is Shah, derived from Avestan Xshatra. Which is a cognate of the Sanskrit 'Kshatriya'. This is all ofcourse attested etymology, not making it up.

And also that the name was Zarathushtra, which refers to 'the owner of old camels'. Now it is translated as Zarthosth.

Avestan is also spectacularly similar to Vedic Sanskrit, with places named as Baghdad - Baghdata-'gift of God'.
Iran is ofcourse, a contraction of the name called Ariyanam Veajem. The delta region is called 'Hafta-Hindu' commonly called Sapta-Sindhu in Sanskrit.

Perhaps of all words surprising is Shah, derived from Avestan Xshatra. Which is a cognate of the Sanskrit 'Kshatriya'. This is all ofcourse attested etymology, not making it up.

Yeah Avestan and Sanskrit are sister languages. Regarding the Shah part, I have also seen a lot of Indians (I think Gujuratis) with the surname Shah. Is that from Iran or is it also a local word used in India?

Yeah Avestan and Sanskrit are sister languages. Regarding the Shah part, I have also seen a lot of Indians (I think Gujuratis) with the surname Shah. Is that from Iran or is it also a local word used in India?

Shah is a Hindu surname too. Even Malik is used a surname among Hindus.

Shah is a Hindu surname too. Even Malik is used a surname among Hindus.

Yes, but Malik is ultimately derived from Arabic. So that is probably how it got to the Indian subcontinent, while Shah is a indigenous Persian word.

Yes, but Malik is ultimately derived from Arabic. So that is probably how it got to the Indian subcontinent, while Shah is a indigenous Persian word.

Shah is obtained from the word Sahukar(merchant community). Malik is Jaat clan, its coincidence it is similar to Arabic.
Some Persian name looks similar to Hindi, like you have a city called Nishapur, in Hindi Nisha means night, pur means city.

Back
Top Bottom