What's new

India’s “flying coffins” have claimed over 200 lives

Its Rafale..
And the elections will be used by politicians from both sides to play blame games. It remains to be seen whether Congress can see this deal through smoothly or will there be the usual pithy barbs flying at the last minute.
It will be up to the IAF to take a stand and force the decision as quickly as possible.
The French will do it.. but their elections will delay.. not change the decision.. hence the mention.

Yes. the Migs are well loved.. but they are notorious for being unforgiving to any operator.
Its time to push the MMRCA in ASAP.

With the LCA still not in gear.. The Mig-21 units will have to be the first to take on the MMRCA's.
The role of the mig-21 is still slated to be taken over by the Tejas.. when it arrives.
Thanks corrected. RAFALE typo :)
French elections will be over before December. Rafale sell will give the much needed boost to French economy and establishing export market to Rafale. So there will not be any problem from French side.
As far as congress is concerned they had played all they could. The result of enquiry will be out in late this month or early next month. It's most likely not going to bring shocking results. So this delay will take the deal from Dec 2012 to Jan/Feb 2013. NOT to 2014. Deal is in price negotiation stage which is last stage.

Deal is in price negotiation stage which is last stage.

And the most vulnerable stage, Here is where money is being talked about.. and where money is being talked about.. there will be all sorts of allegations.. from lack of transparency to commissions.. and these will come from all sorts of both political and financial opportunists.

I think we are too hard on the Migs..
The newer crop is said to be as easy to fly as their western counterparts...and as intuitive.
However.. careless or not.. any nugget in a Mig is facing a greater challenge than his similie in a western aircraft.

Oscar, what you say is true, but I have heard of how different flying this aircraft was in the initial stages. I say different, not difficult. The MiGs were very different from the earlier Hunters and Gnats, apart from being supersonic of course. Those aircraft if flown close to their envelope (even in error) had characteristics of flutter or judder (or something like that, this is not my area of big.....) that let the pilot know- hey..... watch it. In similar circumstances, the MiG just went down, there was little scope for monkeying around. One had to go by the book, at least in some parts of the flight envelope.

Sometimes extreme checks on accountability and the associated bureaucracy can work against national interest.

True..I would very much like Saint Antony to be replaced ASAP. I don't like saints to lead us.

india-mig-plane-afp_670.jpg

NEW DELHI: Dubbed “flying coffins” or “widow makers” in the air force, India’s ageing collection of Soviet-era MiGs have long been unpopular with air force pilots. New figures unveiled Wednesday show why.

India’s Defence Minister A.K. Antony said there had been 482 accidents in the last 30 years, resulting in the deaths of 171 pilots and 39 civilians. The MiG fleet is now 873-strong.

New Delhi’s acquisitions began in 1966 with MiG-21 interceptors, and the next two decades saw the induction of the high-speed MiG 25, ground-attack MiG 27 and the fourth-generation MiG-29 fighter jets into the Indian Air Force.

Experts say a majority of the accidents involved India’s single-engine-based MiG-21s, a combat aeroplane which has been flown by some 50 countries since it was developed by then Soviet Union in the 1950s.

“A total of 171 pilots, 39 civilians, eight service personnel and one aircrew lost their lives in these accidents,” the defence minister told parliament, referring to the period from 1971-1972 to April 19 this year.

The accidents were blamed on “human error and technical defects”.

Antony in February said that the Indian Air Force would start phasing out its mainstay MiG-21s, comprising 40 per cent of its total fleet, beginning 2014.

Recurring crashes involving the single-engine MiG-21 inspired Bollywood film “Rang De Basanti” (Color It Saffron) in 2006, and sparked a spirited campaign in 2003 by relatives of a killed pilot for the scrapping of the war jets.

India plans to replace its MiGs with 123 modern aircraft in a deal worth $12 billion. France’s Dassault Aviation in January won the right to enter exclusive negotiations to sell its Rafale planes.

Price negotiations are currently under way between the French firm and India.

------------
India

is it the ageing airframe/engine failure or the pilot error being the main cause of crash of this legendary fighter?

I would like to present my view on Migs and HAL here contradicting the popular belief on this forum:

As you are aware we operate mig 21, Mig 23/27 and mig 29's.

In 1961 to 1969 India had acquired around 120 mig 21's which were a mix of Mig21 R and Mig 21S
Later around 68 India began importing Mig 21 M and mig 21 MF were built under license essentially CBU's for initial batches.and then later entered production full production lines around "1975"
Mig 27's irrespective of popular opinion is not license manufactured but license assembled from CKD kits from Russia, but Upgrades to aircrafts have been done by HAL.
MIG 21 F/S/MF were the top of the line fighters in 1960's to 1980's. Fighters who flew mig 21 had to graduate through hunters, gnats and then finally get to 21 hence had amazing amount of training behind them .

Mig 21 is an inherently complex aircraft to fly and needs extreme amount of training, with advent of mig 23/27/jaguars/mig 29 suddenly mig 21 was no longer front line premier aircraft and newer pilots with relatively lesser training were graduating straight from Kirans to Fishbed, which is like puting you from a cycle onto a hayabusa.

Next, All aircrafts when go through overhaul are ripped to individual pieces , inspected, faulty parts are replaced and then re assembled.

In early 90's with breakup of soviet union, russian satellite states were offering spares which lower in cost compared to the ones manufactured by HAL, so our dear elected Netas procured spares for Mig 21's from Ukraine and Uzbekistan, which incedentally ended up costlier than one produced by HAL (heavy kickbacks were speculated, this was when sharad pawar was the defence minister)

All blackbox reports of CRE/CRI and DGQCA have pointed towards faulty imported spares and subsystems imported by MOD, not one has ever come back to HAL.

1)Faulty imported spares
2)Age of Aircraft
3) lack of supersonic jet trainer has attributed to Mig 21 crashes

Not once Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has been ever charged with any misgivings or culpable practices.

Mig 27's crashes:

Mig 27 systems are not manufactured in India by HAL but only assembled, if any manufacturing flaw attributes to Mig 21, responsibility lies with Russian Manufacturers, Again Mig 27 is an ageing platform and should be retired off service. No mig 27 crash has ever been tied to fault assembly process.

Mig 21 Bison upgrade was done by HAL not drdo or ADA according to air force specs.
I completely disagree about the inability too provide russian spares, this is not true. MoD decided to procure cannibilized/surplus spares from kazhakistan/uzbekistan/ukraine over manufacturing them at HAL.these were for Mig 21 series. HAL has had excellent track record for Mig 21 production and overhaul (Bisons).
This procurement was under CVC investigation in the early 2000, i am not sure what happened to its results.

Mig 29's are not manufacture or overhauled by HAL, its all done by IAF BRD.

HAL's manufacturing:

Think, if HAL's manufacturing practices were so wrong , shouldn't Jaguars, Cheetahs, chetaks, Dorniers, SU 30MKI be falling out of the sky everyday, why only mig 21's and Mig 27.
How come you complain about a Migs and not about Sukhois and jaguars. I hope you realise SU 30 MKI are produced HAL nasik division.
Incidentally mig 21series, mig 21 Bisons, mig 27's, all were also from the same nasik divison.

rafale question is often attributed to tejas's delay,

Tejas Delay:

There are many answers to this question :

First EOQ: Economic order quantity

HAL is a PSU not a government LAb and has to be a profitable venture. HAL is not provided any discounts by the MoD/Air force for being patriotic and producing a large quantity.
Approximate numbers of production is established by MoD/HAL/Planning Commission not by HAL alone

HAL also has to maintain Overhaul lines for existing product. Wasn't this ADA business the brain child of IAF and Mod, HAL is not responsible for the design of Tejas, ADA has to finalize the design, Hal will do the production planning, and we have more than 60 years of experience for the same. If anyone has t take the blame for delay in tejas , it has to be the IAF and MoD.
Why did IAF contantly keep revising its requirements for tejas, they are not children,
Has IAF fielded an aircraft with full funding and refined it later, yes "SU 30MKI", Why hasn't the same privilege been given to LCA mk1..LCA MK1 can be improved to perform better than the mirage 2000 series (my view).

From my personal experience I can tell you there is no funding for R&D in HAL, R&D funding is monopolized by DRDO.
When we do get funding for devlopment , we have produced , MKI subsytems, bison subsytems, ALH WSO, LCH and also many subsytems for ISRO's PSLV

The Migs 21s crash for several reasons:

1.They are over 40 years old (they will be replaced with Sukhois, Rafales, and LCA's)
2.Lack of trainer aircraft for new pilots (Pilatus, Hal IJT, and Hawk AJT are being procured)
3.Lack of spares (Sukhoi, Rafale, and LCA will be 100% made in India so spares will be less of a problem)

Until the trainers, and newer planes are finally brought into service, the crashes will continue. One of the many negative side effects of India awful procurement system.

...In early 90's with breakup of soviet union, russian satellite states were offering spares which lower in cost compared to the ones manufactured by HAL, so our dear elected Netas procured spares for Mig 21's from Ukraine and Uzbekistan, which incedentally ended up costlier than one produced by HAL (heavy kickbacks were speculated, this was when sharad pawar was the defence minister)

All blackbox reports of CRE/CRI and DGQCA have pointed towards faulty imported spares and subsystems imported by MOD, not one has ever come back to HAL.

Think, if HAL's manufacturing practices were so wrong , shouldn't Jaguars, Cheetahs, chetaks, Dorniers, SU 30MKI be falling out of the sky everyday, why only mig 21's and Mig 27.
How come you complain about a Migs and not about Sukhois and jaguars. I hope you realise SU 30 MKI are produced HAL nasik division.
Incidentally mig 21series, mig 21 Bisons, mig 27's, all were also from the same nasik divison.

Hi,

As usual very good points.

My friend's dad was in IAF. Don't know from where my friend got info but he said that spare parts manufactured by HAL were faulty.

Is it possible that although all Mig-21, Mig-27 series were manufactured by HAL's Nasik division, somehow something related to these two were the problem? Why didn't IAF apply pressure --- the way they can do today --- on the netas to stop faulty foreign procurements?

Another reason, that is not publicized and is an open secret, is the massive corruption - where sub standard parts are purchased from dubious sources, which results in many aircraft disintegrating in mid-air, with air force officials, bureaucrats and politicians all benefiting, and the result is young pilots dead and maimed.

Hi,

As usual very good points.

My friend's dad was in IAF. Don't know from where my friend got info but he said that spare parts manufactured by HAL were faulty.

Is it possible that although all Mig-21, Mig-27 series were manufactured by HAL's Nasik division, somehow something related to these two were the problem? Why didn't IAF apply pressure --- the way they can do today --- on the netas to stop faulty foreign procurements?

No such findings by DGQCA ever for any mig21's or mig 27's.

come on guys the platform is as old as the jet engine technology is, no longer its parts are manufactured. yes we are facing trouble in keeping these birds operational and yes there have been few incidents of lose of life, but you guys are making fun of a platform which proved to be a nightmare for its enemy planes during its time.

I think the situation has improved drastically from the worst periods.

Of course, every life lost is a life too much. The military men signed up to take the risk.

There is no dearth of brave hearts willing to fly the plane. What needs to be done, needs to be done.

Gents,

This is mig21 we are talking about, Please be respectful !
A few planes today can achieve what all Mig21 did in its days.
It is still a fast ... very fast interceptor platform.

If Iam not wrong are the F 7s that PAF operate based on Mig 21.

Back
Top Bottom