What's new

India rolls out its First CNG based Rail Locomotive - Indian Railways Going Green!

guyz plz suggest me some websites where I can read about kind of locos Indian railway uses. About the origin of these locos and about tech transfer in railway.
As @Tridibans has suggest, IRFCA is a good resource site. However pdf too has some good material posted by @gslv mk3 that you can search. As for your query on existing and some retired locos of IR, i'm posting some sketches i drew, from an old thread. Hope mods don't mind repetition.
Passenger class locos
WAP 1.png
WAP 3.png
WAP 4.png
WAP 5.png
WAP 6.png

WAP 7.png

@Tridibans @anant_s

one more query guyz

how tech transfer works in railway? How do we procure locos initially and indigenize them later
any article of it's history or something would be great

Japan's Kawasaki Heavy Industries has met the technical requirements for a contract to supply 200 6.7MW electric locomotives for the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor.

Under the technology transfer clause in the Rs 35bn ($US 660m) contract, the first 40 locomotives will be built in Japan, while the following 30 will be delivered partially completed for final assembly in India. A further batch of 30 locomotives will be delivered as kits for local assembly, with the remaining 100 units being built in India. Two pre-series locomotives will arrive in India early next year and the first 38 locomotives must be delivered to IR within two years of the contract being signed.

Indian DFC loco procurement moves forward | International Railway Journal

The DFC will be completed by 2019 - Railways Rs 81,459 cr worth 'Dedicated Freight Corridor' project to be completed by 2019 - timesofindia-economictimes

@anant_s Can't we upgrade WAP 7 (4.74 MW) to meet the requirements of DFC?

@anant_s Can't we upgrade WAP 7 (4.74 MW) to meet the requirements of DFC?
6700 kW works out to approx 9000 hp output. i mentioned about this Co-Co loco in one post above. this is for Eastern DFC lines.
As for WAP 7 it is a passenger loco and hence for DFC i'm making comparison with WAG 9.
Even for WAG 9H the axle loading is a paltry 23 tons where as DFC lines are designed for upto 33 tons of axle load. simply said what it means that with WAG 9 there will be gross under utilization of track capacity. A higher rating loco in terms of axle loading will pull a heavier train for a given HP rating (we will have different balancing speed though).
this is one reason why IR is going with newer locos rather than upgrading existing ones where even with best efforts, axle loading will not increase by more than 10-15% max.

Can't we upgrade WAP 7 (4.74 MW) to meet the requirements of DFC?
Here are the specifications of the locomotive ~9500 HP (or 7,000 kW)
http://www.dfccil.gov.in/upload/1375709622748.pdf

@Rain Man @Chanakya's_Chant @Nihonjin1051

@AndrewJin This new proposed loco is very similar to Chinese HXD3. Can you share how the loco has performed in China given Toshiba is involved in HXD 3 and the above proposed loco is also going to be manufactured by a Japanese consortium with Toshiba as a member.
1024px-China_Railways_HXD3_0472.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom