What's new

Are India's Railway engines indigenous?

Do we have plans for more aerodynamic shells ? At least for the upgraded WAP 5

WAP 5 as you may be knowing are 4 axled (Bo-Bo) configuration locos cleared for 225 kmph travel. Unfortunately the tracks aren't capable and hence max WAP 5 does is about 160 kmph with New Delhi Bhopal Shatabdi express at 160 kmph. It is being upgraded for 180-190 limit progressively, as a part of govt's plan for 90 min Delhi Agra travel (trials done recently).
However there is a problem with WAP 5. While it is designed for high speed travel, it has a low Traction effort (meaning ability to pull loads from rest) and it usually is used for 16-18 coach trains. Any more than that WAP 7 is used but with speed limited to 140 kmph. To solve this, there are plans to use two WAP 5 in MU (multiple Unit) configuration but till now this has been limited to testing only.
Secondly, there are plans to upgrade WAP 7 (rated at 6,300 HP) to a new configuration of WAP 7D having 7,000 HP power but as said above, these are will be limited to 140 kmph only.
& finally (perhaps quite too obvious) till IR invests in tracks and separates corridors for freight and passenger trains, average speed will still remain low. this requires money and considering how political parties consider increasing fares as a crime, i'm not sure how early this will this be possible. In my understanding Dedicated Freight Corridor is the only bright light amongst current railway infra projects as this will improve throughput by a great deal.

@anant_s
how many engine we manufacture in one yr. and what are the original requirement we have in a yr.
Sudhirji, I'm quoting data for electric locos. Presently the major electric locos on IR are WAM 4 (mixed duty), WAG 5, 7 and 9 (All freight) and WAP 1, 4, 5 and 7 (all pure passenger class). Apart from this few locos (~125) belong to bi-voltage (capable to operate under 1.5 kV DC and 25 kV AC caternary) WCAM 1, 2, 3 and WCAG 1 class locos are also present. amongst these, WAM 4 locos are almost 30 years old and are progressively being retired and so are WCAM 1 class and older lot WAG 5. This leaves Chittaranjan Loco works to makeup for about 250 locos every year with BHEL chipping in with 30-40 units.
With more lines coming under wires and growing freight, total requirement of locos is around 300 loco/annum.
The production figures on other had are as follows:
For current financial year

In past years

Last i had heard about Russian Gas turbine based locos coming to India for trials , But never heard any they're after , is IR still serious about inducting Gas turbine based locos ?? . When this Idea was conceived Natural Gas prices were low , but now they are slightly below Diesel Prices , hope they have not changed their minds now ?
I'm not sure about that, but the cost of manufacturing a conventional diesel loco is much lower than GT one and the reason is basically the established manufacturing facilities lead to lower costs and production rate remains high. Current 4,500 HP diesels based on EMD design are just as fine and once WDG 5 comes to active service, the current AC-AC diesel locos will form one of the most efficient and low cost operating fleet of HHP diesels akin to US railroad industry.

Last edited:
Our government should purchase engine from India.
A large part of PR network consists of 1676 mm BG lines same as here in India and hence Diesel locos working here will have no problem. Plus these locos have a proven track record on sub-continental conditions. With a vast manufacturing base, i guess Indian locos might actually be cheaper to own and operate than Chinese locos. But given how only manufacturer Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW Varanasi) is strained to meet requirements of IR, i guess a good option (if possible) would be to transfer technology to PR for domestic production of locos.

In order to simplify the design, Engineers forget that the are compromising aerodynamic. There is an urgent need of shape the engine aerodynamically.
Sir, while i cannot quote the source, the present fleet of locos is quite aerodynamic and the figure is reflected on the energy consumption and tractive effort generated, which is quite close to the values anywhere else.
As of now efforts are being made (for both Electric and Diesel locos) to progressively use IGBT based electrics and this is the next logical step to improve power transmission and traction improvement.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom