What's new

India retaliates

Status
Not open for further replies.
in what way.....
We are currently on moral high ground. We have to react as dignified nation. But I do insist, we should take more serious step if they don't budge.

Diplomat's arrest: India may review immunity to US officials, recalls all ID cards

Taking a tough stand over the arrest of its diplomat, Devyani Khobragade, in America, India has asked US to return all identity cards issued to their consular officers posted in the country. According to sources, the move may be a precursor to reviewing immunity and benefits enjoyed by US consular officers in India.

This comes even as the US has expressed hope that the diplomatic row won't affect ties between the two countries.

The 1999-batch IFS officer was taken into custody on Thursday last as she was dropping her daughter to school and handcuffed in public on visa fraud charges before being released on a USD 250,000 bond after pleading not guilty.

Khobragade's arrest, only a day after Indian Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh concluded her highly successful Washington trip, caused a major diplomatic crisis between India and the US.

Lodging a strong protest against the arrest of of Deputy Consul General in New York, India has conveyed to the US that such a kind of a treatment to its diplomat is "absolutely unacceptable".

"It was conveyed in no uncertain terms that this kind of treatment to one of our diplomats is absolutely unacceptable," the Indian Embassy said in a statement on Friday after the Charge d'Affaires Taranjit Singh Sandhu met senior officials of the US State Department.

Singh also asked the US officials to resolve the matter at the earliest during the meeting.

In Delhi, Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh summoned US Ambassador Nancy Powell to convey India's "shock" over "absolutely unacceptable" treatment meted out to the senior Indian diplomat.

(With PTI Inputs)

Diplomat's arrest: India may review immunity to US officials, recalls all ID cards - Indian Express

Yea this is not India where you can go on flaunting your contacts and no one will touch you. Touch any politician no even his assistant and bam " Do you know who I am" These high headed Babus/netas need a lesson. Good on US government

Oh ho ,really ,when a CIA spy called Raymond Davis kill two people in pakistan ,what is US doing?He is a spy and not even consular offficial but after case they make him consular official,like this diplomat and save him from pakistan.What he is doing in pakistan ?Does any Americans can kill any pakistanies and can saved by like that?Where are you at that time?This diplomat is not tourist.She is US for our country.It is people like you that defame this country,we dont need your suggestion.For here we dont
consider BJP,congress etc ,against this we all are Indians.An our already taken action.

You think I give two hoots about our diplomat? She got arrested in public? Boo Hoo She is a criminal she must be named and shamed. Who knows what other tortures she might be doing to the maid.

If you cant support her .Please dont use Indian Flag and remove that.

Irrespective of specifics of case ....US has no right to publically humiliate any diplomat may it be diplomat of any country ...not just diplomat of India .

US doublespeak and double standards are very clear and evident ....

what is worse US has done this when they are talking of Partnership of Century ...

Is this how you treat Partner of Century ???

This just shows hollow ness US claims ....and US statements !

Man you can see how US treat their friends .Pakistan a country that destroy all its fortune for US is now regularly violated by US and kill poor pakistanies.We know what they are doing in Afghanistan
.Now US will know how to treat a friends.Vladmir Putin was right.Us need servitudes not friends

Last edited:
They could have still subjected to their laws ( which they have no right to in first place frankly speaking ) without making a humiliating drama out of her arrest ....

The treatment meted was disproportionate to the 'alleged' crime ....

US authorities gave no value to the fact that said person is Diplomat ...and that too a country with which it wishes to develop strategic partnership....

US just showed how much it really values relationship with India ...

India is nothing more than market for US ...

We know how to handle them.Now we cooperate with them because we also have aim for our national Interest.India live without US cooperation for about 60 years.This cooperation flourished after Nuclear deal.Even if they dont support us .We will move forward ,no doubt.We develop our space programme and Nuclear program without US.If it is like in future ,we have no problem.

It is not just Vienna convention - US state department protocol for Diplomat Security clearly mentions the Principle of Inviolability of Diplomat ....

US authorities have simply trampled the protocol issued by their own State department ....

Despite such outrageous move no apology or no regrets are forthcoming ....

shows how much US really cares about countries like India....

This is the same country whose President shamelessly wrote letter to our PM to back the case of American companies ....

We must strengthen ourselves.. as long as we remain weak , behave weak we will be subjected to such humiliations again and again ...

That right .Even if she has no diplomatic immunity ,US cant harrass a consular working of another country..Maximum they can do is expelled her from US and that is not happen here.I am sure this not going to easy for USA.They will test their own medicine

Last edited:
You think I give two hoots about our diplomat? She got arrested in public? Boo Hoo She is a criminal she must be named and shamed. Who knows what other tortures she might be doing to the maid.
We're not supporting the diplomat for her crime, if she had committed any, she should be prosecuted according to their LAW but the thing is, diplomats are representatives of countries and hence should be treated more respectfully, that's why there are things like 'diplomatic immunity' and U.S. diplomats enjoy that too in India........
If a U.S. diplomat is arrested in India tomorrow for any crime, would you advocate arresting him/her in full public view by tying ropes around his/her waist(the Indian alternative to handcuffing)........

Last edited:
Diplomat's arrest: India may review immunity to US officials, recalls all ID cards

Taking a tough stand over the arrest of its diplomat, Devyani Khobragade, in America, India has asked US to return all identity cards issued to their consular officers posted in the country. According to sources, the move may be a precursor to reviewing immunity and benefits enjoyed by US consular officers in India.

This comes even as the US has expressed hope that the diplomatic row won't affect ties between the two countries.

The 1999-batch IFS officer was taken into custody on Thursday last as she was dropping her daughter to school and handcuffed in public on visa fraud charges before being released on a USD 250,000 bond after pleading not guilty.

Khobragade's arrest, only a day after Indian Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh concluded her highly successful Washington trip, caused a major diplomatic crisis between India and the US.

Lodging a strong protest against the arrest of of Deputy Consul General in New York, India has conveyed to the US that such a kind of a treatment to its diplomat is "absolutely unacceptable".

"It was conveyed in no uncertain terms that this kind of treatment to one of our diplomats is absolutely unacceptable," the Indian Embassy said in a statement on Friday after the Charge d'Affaires Taranjit Singh Sandhu met senior officials of the US State Department.

Singh also asked the US officials to resolve the matter at the earliest during the meeting.

In Delhi, Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh summoned US Ambassador Nancy Powell to convey India's "shock" over "absolutely unacceptable" treatment meted out to the senior Indian diplomat.

(With PTI Inputs)

Diplomat's arrest: India may review immunity to US officials, recalls all ID cards - Indian Express

I think it become snowballing.After we are not pakistan.

Its getting hotter:)

I don't know how you arrest someone in India, in America, we arrest someone with handcuff and Miranda right. Both procedure are required to perform an arrest

Putting handcuff signified the subject is under remandment and reading the Miranda right let the subject knows his or her right as a detainee.

Set aside if the arrest was made in the public, even if you are already inside a police station and came volunteerly you will still be cuffed and led back to the central booking. As this is a part of police procedure.

Most people also misunderstand the right of diplomat or so called "diplomatic immunity" technically, diplomatic immunity only provide a certain object an exclusion of charge and indictment for certain offence, usually light offence (drink driving or burglary) but this does not apply to detaining the diplomat or arresting the diplomat.

Upon arresting, diplomat can invoke diplomatic immunity to exclude themselves from the criminal charge or criminal investigation. However, diplomat are still arrestable, waving diplomatic immunity does not make you become unarrestable

And finally, regardless of status, US LEO cannot enter the foreign embassy or embassy residence to arrest anyone, basically those are considered as foreign soil and local US LEO have no jurdiction, unless instructed by US State department

Now, I don't know if the arresting officer have arrange the arrest in a more secluded location or more private, that is up to the officer own discretion, but as far as I can tell, the officer exercising proper right and procedure. I don't think the Local LEO have done anything wrong.

-Cathy

Respect comes from strength, As we grow respect also grows.

Before asking for apology we must need to make sure USA stakes in S.Asia will be at risk, other wise USA will ignore :cheers:

Maid never complained , it was the US authorities which are making this an issue to a Indian foreign official.

Actually it does not matter if the maid is pressing charged, the DA office have the right to press charge on behalf of the plaintiff.

Once the alleged criminal activities is out in the open, DA office does not require the victim to press charge to push forward the case.

- Cathy

Last edited:
I don't know how you arrest someone in India......

U.S.A won't be happy if we arrest one of their diplomats by our methods(see post #81)....
As I said earlier, We're not protesting the arrest of the diplomat, we're protesting the way she was arrested....

Doubt hangs over conditions of Indian diplomat’s detention

Media reports this week said that after India’s Deputy Consul General in New York, Devyani Khobragade (39), was arrested by U.S. law enforcement agency outside her daughter’s school in Manhattan last Thursday she was apparently “strip-searched” while in custody.

While none of the reports named the “sources” that provided this information, Daniel Arshack, attorney for Ms. Khobragade, said to The Hindu earlier that she had been “treated incredibly shabbily,” in what he described as a “public spectacle.”

Mr. Arshack however said on Monday that he did not have any comment on whether she was strip searched and could not provide any further details on the conditions of her detention.

India’s Ministry of External Affairs issued a “strong demarche” to the U.S. last week, both in New Delhi and from its Washington embassy, in which it said that it was “shocked and appalled at the manner in which she has been humiliated by the U.S. authorities.”

While no official response was available yet regarding the allegations of being “strip searched,” the reason that Ms. Khobragade was arrested as she exited her daughter’s school might have been linked to the conditions of the consular immunity that she enjoyed.

In response to questions from The Hindu the State Department clarified last week that Ms. Khobragade was covered only by consular and not diplomatic immunity, which essentially meant that she enjoyed immunity from the jurisdiction of U.S. courts “only with respect to acts performed in the exercise of consular functions” and under the Vienna Convention rules was “liable to arrest pending trial pursuant to a felony arrest warrant,” as was issued in this case.

Yet consular immunity under the Convention also implies that U.S. officials could not enter the Consular premises of India’s diplomatic post.

According to Article 31 of the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, “The authorities of the receiving State shall not enter that part of the consular premises which is used exclusively for the purpose of the work of the consular post” except with the permission of the consular head at the mission.

However, the Convention is silent on whether the consular officer’s home may be entered, to serve an arrest warrant or otherwise. The U.S. interpretation of consular immunity however does allow police to enter the residence of consular officers, although in this case the authorities appear to have elected not to do so.

By elimination this would imply that Ms. Khobragade could only be arrested in transit during the course of her work or in the vicinity of her daughter’s school, assuming U.S. law enforcement knew of Ms. Khobragade’s routine entailing her daily commute to drop her child off there.

The fact that the latter was the chosen site of arrest raises the question of whether Ms. Khobragade was under surveillance at any time by U.S. authorities, even as they sought to identify the pattern of her movements from day to day.

While the Convention orders host nations to “permit and protect freedom of communication on the part of the consular post for all official purposes” – in principle banning the use of surveillance of official communications – there is no explicit ban on surveillance of consular personnel’s movements.

Doubt hangs over conditions of Indian diplomat’s detention - The Hindu

Last edited:
I don't know how you arrest someone in India, in America, we arrest someone with handcuff and Miranda right. Both procedure are required to perform an arrest

Putting handcuff signified the subject is under remandment and reading the Miranda right let the subject knows his or her right as a detainee.

Set aside if the arrest was made in the public, even if you are already inside a police station and came volunteerly you will still be cuffed and led back to the central booking. As this is a part of police procedure.

Most people also misunderstand the right of diplomat or so called "diplomatic immunity" technically, diplomatic immunity only provide a certain object an exclusion of charge and indictment for certain offence, usually light offence (drink driving or burgary) but this does not apply to detaining the diplomat or arresting the diplomat.

Upon arresting, diplomat can invoke diplomatic immunity to exclude themselves from the criminal charge or criminal investigation. However, diplomat are still arrestable, waving diplomatic immunity does not make you become unarrestable

And finally, regardless of status, US LEO cannot enter the foreign embassy or embassy residence to arrest anyone, basically those are considered as foreign soil and local US LEO have no jurdiction, unless instructed by US State department

Now, I don't know if the arresting officer have arrange the arrest in a more secluded location or more private, that is up to the officer own discretion, but as far as I can tell, the officer exercising proper right and procedure. I don't think the Local LEO have done anything wrong.

It doesn't matter what the actual procedure is for U.S. citizens, the rules say that even for a diplomat with limited immunity like in this case, arrest is only warranted in "grave" crimes. Reciprocity can be quite a pain. A common reason not to treat representatives of foreign countries harshly is that it exposed U.S. diplomatic personnel to similar actions. That is common sense. I do not believe that the U.S. government will see this case to its legal conclusion, more likely that this matter is resolved by other means. Which begs the question, what is the intent here? I have seen reports on TV suggesting that even Bharara's office credit people in Washington for the arrest (almost like they don't want to be the only ones holding this baby), that could only mean a deliberate act meant to send some sort of a message. What that is remains unclear to us as of now but there is little doubt that this is not as simple and straightforward as made out to be.

U.S.A won't be happy if we arrest one of their diplomats by our methods(see post #81)....
As I said earlier, We're not protesting the arrest of the diplomat, we're protesting the way she was arrested....

The question as far as I concern is, did the arresting know the detainee a diplomat?

It can goes in one of the two ways

First, she claim she was an employee in Indian consulate, that would have been done after the arrest, in a procedure called "processing"

Or, she have agree to submit to a search and an Indian diplomatic ID (I don't know if that exist) was produced during the search. Still it is up to the officer to believe on the ID, the verification can only be done, again in processing

However, at this point I should point out that again it is the officer's own discretion to make the arrest in private arena instead of a public setting. And you cannot assume the arresting officer know or believe they are arresting a diplomat. That is the dilemma.

-Cathy

It doesn't matter what the actual procedure is for U.S. citizens, the rules say that even for a diplomat with limited immunity like in this case, arrest is only warranted in "grave" crimes. Reciprocity can be quite a pain. A common reason not to treat representatives of foreign countries harshly is that it exposed U.S. diplomatic personnel to similar actions. That is common sense. I do not believe that the U.S. government will see this case to its legal conclusion, more likely that this matter is resolved by other means. Which begs the question, what is the intent here? I have seen reports on TV suggesting that even Bharara's office credit people in Washington for the arrest (almost like they don't want to be the only ones holding this baby), that could only mean a deliberate act meant to send some sort of a message. What that is remains unclear to us as of now but there is little doubt that this is not as simple and straightforward as made out to be.

The question is, how do the arresting officer know he or she is arresting a diplomat in the first place?

She can say she is a diplomat but all claim can only be verified after the subject was detained and processed. In which the background of the detainee is reviewed. Officer cannot just let go of detainee because they tell them they are diplomat...

Even if a search is conduct and ID were produced, how can the officer assure the ID is indeed legitimate? Not like an average NYC police officer would know what a diplomatic ID card look like.

The arrest was not made with embassy ground nor diplomat residence, you cannot assume the officer know she is a diplomat for sure. That is the point

- Cathy

Last edited:
Problem is the manner in which she was treated , arrest is not a problem, but she is a diplomat and there are protocols to follow.

Most people also misunderstand the right of diplomat or so called "diplomatic immunity" technically, diplomatic immunity only provide a certain object an exclusion of charge and indictment for certain offence, usually light offence (drink driving or burglary) but this does not apply to detaining the diplomat or arresting the diplomat.

-Cathy

Actually it does not matter if the maid is pressing charged, the DA office have the right to press charge on behalf of the plaintiff.

Once the alleged criminal activities is out in the open, DA office does not require the victim to press charge to push forward the case.

- Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom