What's new

India retaliates

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow that escalated pretty quickly...why hasnt Maunmohan Singh spoken to Obama? - they are quite pally.

The issue is not just about wages, but, more importantly, falsehoods.

It would be like saying a person will be performing consular duties X, Y, Z, but they end up doing A, B, and C.

The diplomat asserted that she would be complying with US labor laws (regardless of any diplomatic immunity), but it turns out that she didn't.
Isn't that true about quite a few diplomatic postings. Are all the officers doing exactly what was written in their employment records?
Isn't it usual when a spy is caught, (s)he is deemed a "persona non grata" and sent back?

Dude, what makes you think the Nanny is a victim. Before going to US she agreed for the amount she will be paid and signed the contract. When is she is in US she found out about the US wager laws and used that to demand something else.

Has it ever occurred to you that living ANY kind of a life at $3 an hour is next to impossible in NYC? A small bottle of water will cost you $2. You probably never thought that though and I'm quite sure she didn't fully understand that either. But one things for sure the consulate knew exactly what it costs.

She was basically stuck in servitude with little options. Even asking to be paid for more than 8 hours a day was denied.
A pretty cruel thing to do to someone.

Has it ever occurred to you that living ANY kind of a life at $3 an hour is next to impossible in NYC? A small bottle of water will cost you $2. You probably never thought that though and I'm quite sure she didn't fully understand that either. But one things for sure the consulate knew exactly what it costs.

She was basically stuck in servitude with little options. Even asking to be paid for more than 8 hours a day was denied.
A pretty cruel thing to do to someone.

So throw the diplomat out. No one asked you not to act. Problem is in the way you have handled it.

She was basically stuck in servitude with little options. Even asking to be paid for more than 8 hours a day was denied. A pretty cruel thing to do to someone.
I note that some Indians on U.S. news sites carrying the story support the U.S. action, with comments like, you have struck a blow for the Indian worker, thank you America.

Yes, India is a democracy. But that doesn't mean its officials can afford to ignore the sentiment of the people. I wonder if ultimately this "retaliation" will backfire?

Utter stupidity of US personnel.:pissed::pissed:

they should have extradited the diplomat for the issue at the max. Putting the diplomat in jail is not so much a punishment for the diplomat as it is an insult to India.

I am aghast as to why so far no US diplomat has been arrested.

First arrest the US diplomat then go to negotiation table.

First act then talk.

stupid Indian govt. talk talk talk talk but no action.:pissed:

I note that some Indians on U.S. news sites carrying the story support the U.S. action, with comments like, you have struck a blow for the Indian worker, thank you America.

Yes, India is a democracy. But that doesn't mean its officials can afford to ignore the sentiment of the people. I wonder if ultimately this "retaliation" will backfire?
Things would have been much better handled if US would have raised an issue and asked India to allow for her prosecution in US. If India refused, Us could have declared this official as persona non grata and kicked her out.
While I don't like the action of this officer, US should realize that it is not acting against a person, but against the official of another state.

I wonder if ultimately this "retaliation" will backfire?

If it turns out the Nanny is uneducated or some 60 year old lady it certainly isn't going to come across very well in public opinion in terms of somebody being taken advantage of.

Putting the diplomat in jail is not so much a punishment for the diplomat as it is an insult to India.
Since this is a consular official's personal affairs unrelated to her duties, no insult to India is intended or implied - at least officially. Unofficially, my guess is the jury is out. One or two such cases have been dropped or settled out of court - I think the one with the Saudi princess jailed under $5 million bond was.

First arrest the US diplomat then go to negotiation table. First act then talk.
There are protocols even for violations of protocols. The Americans did not violate either treaty or protocol by this arrest. We will see just how far India stretches the rules to make a point that, apparently, is ultimately meant to hammer in the demeaning status of its lower classes.

Since this is a consular official's personal affairs unrelated to her duties, no insult to India is intended or implied - at least officially. Unofficially, my guess is the jury is out. One or two such cases have been dropped or settled out of court - I think the one with the Saudi princess jailed under $5 million bond was.

There are protocols even for violations of protocols. The Americans did not violate either treaty or protocol by this arrest. We will see just how far India stretches the rules to make a point that, apparently, is ultimately meant to hammer in the demeaning status of its lower classes.

The consular members of US staff in India do not have immunity if they do something no related to their duty.

and Gay love making is not related to consular services. So as the Indian Supreme Court has upheld gay relations as illegal it makes perfect sense to arrest the errant US consular personnel.:butcher:

and they should be sent to the normal Indian prisons where we send the drug peddlars and rapists. I hope they are able to sleep on concrete slabs, and eat the normal food there.

Last edited:
Indian Supreme Court has upheld gay relations as illegal it makes perfect sense to arrest the errant US consular personnel.:butcher:

I'm pretty sure it is within the rights of any country to uphold their laws. So if they are in some place outside the embassy doing "gay relations" they certainly should expect to be arrested.

I'm pretty sure it is within the rights of any country to uphold their laws. So if they are in some place outside the embassy doing "gay relations" they certainly should expect to be arrested.

sorry what is outside the embassy??

your consular members do not enjoy any diplomatic immunity for non consular services. Are you implying Gay relations are necessary for the US personnel to do their job?

do not worry we will arrest them when they are outside the embassy. The govt will uphold our laws and no special relaxation can be given to US consular people for NON DUTY RELATED tasks.

I can assure you that it has the full support of the people, gov and opposition too.

No- that was just a stupid statement from an otherwise sane and intelligent guy.

You seem to be confused about the issues here; which are multiple.
One is the issue of minimum wages (under the US Reqmts which is different from Indian ones). On that grounds there may be grounds for actions and sympathy. Though that employment contract was drawn up between two Indian Citizens.

The second is the issue of Diplomatic Privileges. Needless to say, the USA had invoked that very issue in case of Raymond Davis who had killed two people (if you do not remember). In the present instance; the person concerned is an Accredited Consular Officer NOT a contracted employee.

Finally; is the issue of the actual treatment inflicted on the person while apprehending her. She was arrested and hand-cuffed at the school of her children. Was she a Physical threat or flight risk that she had to be manacled. That is the primary issue so far as India is concerned.
Even in India, an accused CANNOT be manacled unless he/she is either a physical threat or a flight risk or was armed and dangerous. That is expressly forbidden by Indian Courts.
And the USA is supposed to some kinda DEVELOPED,PROGRESSIVE COUNTRY WHICH SUBSCRIBES TO THE 'BILL OF RIGHTS'; is'nt that allegedly so?? While India is third-world.
Or the Bill of Rights only begins and ends at the "Right to bear Arms and kill school-children off and on"?

So; do not mix up the issues and just make a royal effing Hash of it.

Enough is Enough. External Affairs Ministeri has asked Rajneekanth to take it with Obama. He will beat the shit out of Obama. America does not have much chance other than saying sorry to our diplmat and to Shri Rajneekanth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom