What's new

India railway failings 'like massacre'

the problem is, 1 billion out of those 1.6 billion are concentrated on about 6 days... that is why we have to build overcapacity, if we build to capacity, then the trains would jam completely on New Years.

Really, it seems Chinese mostly prefer Buses and Flights for journey instead of trains. I read some where China Railway is making huge losses, is it because of lack of passengers???

Really, it seems Chinese mostly prefer Buses and Flights for journey instead of trains. I read some where China Railway is making huge losses, is it because of lack of passengers???

its not that bad. in non-new years peak season there are 6 million passengers per day in rail. Actually rail is prefered, civil aviation is not very developed in China and bus is too slow.

to get an idea of why China's railroads MUST make losses due to overcapacity:

Chunyun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The number of passenger journeys during the Chunyun period has exceeded the population of China, hitting over 2 billion in 2008.[1] It has been called the largest annual human migration in the world.[2] Rail transport experiences the biggest challenge during the period, and myriad social problems have emerged.

Note: Chunyun lasts about 2 weeks but peak travel occurs within 6 days.

china railway do make huge losses at present day, but not because of lack of passengers.
building infrastructure like railways cost huge money, and is hard to get profit in short time.
it is a investment for the future.

Back
Top Bottom