What's new

India Railway Budget 2015

Garbage budget seems to have been dictated by Mamta Banerjee herself. Instead of raising long overdue civilian tariff modi raises freight again (already among the highest in the world). The increased freight rates, especially coal with the new auctioned prices will set off an inflationary trend in power quite soon.

I'm sure even the usual Bhakt whitewashing is not going to erase the blot off this incompetent exercise. The markets, meanwhile are tanking again, learnig the hard way what I have been saying for a long time. This emperor is running stark naked on the streets.

Rail Budget 2015: No Increase in Passenger Fares, No New Trains Announced – NDTV Profit

@Bang Galore @DRAY -- no economic messiah here I'm afraid.

Seems they have plans to invite foreign investments in specific routes. They are expecting FDI's.

There is no need to give profit earning sectors to FDI in the name of tech. development and up gradation though.

Price of urea wont be increased as it is subsidized.It has a fixed rate. The extra 10% would be added in the subsidy i.e. it will be covered by the government.
i know that but who would tell it to apptards.

I always wondered why some passenger trains have less general compartments, but lots of sleeper and 1st class.

Many trains travel with general compartments full and people travel long distances in those crowded ones.

The best decision as far i see is allowing more general compartments which has been ignored by all previous governments.
This is indeed a good thing in the rail budget to increase the general class coaches.

Everyone wants everything to become cheaper in the name of common man...and turn the economics to the Left wing style .. . but let me remind people... If you continue to turn economy to the Left... soon there will be no economy left.

This is indeed a good thing in the rail budget to increase the general class coaches.
More importantly it's a realistic budget that has none of the appeasement tactics like low balling fares and needless new trains.
Look at what that had done to the railways.
Railway-operating-ratio1.jpg

If you continue to turn economy to the Left... soon there will be no economy left.
you're not really annoying are you?? :)

More importantly it's a realistic budget that has none of the appeasement tactics like low balling fares and needless new trains.
Look at what that had done to the railways.
Railway-operating-ratio1.jpg
What does this ratio indicate? Below 100 operating ratio means that railways have surplus fund.

Given the sharp fall in diesel prices - because of the fall in petroleum price - passenger fares don't need to be raised as costs have fallen. Railways uses over 2 million tons of diesel (~15 million barrels) annually. The drop of $50/barrel in oil price means Railways would be making $750 mn more per year (~ Rs 4,500 crore). Actual saving would be higher because diesel mark up includes taxes etc.

Railway is not making loss. I think Railways started making profits since Lalu yadav was the Rail Minister.

26railbud.JPG
It’s an organization that carries over 2.3 crore passengers a day, and over thousand million tonnes of freight a year with a total track length of 1.16 lakh kilometers. In FY14 Indian Railways registered revenues of Rs 1.4 lakh crore, of which Rs 94,000 crore came from freight and Rs 37,500 crore from passenger tickets, which is subsidised. The loss per passenger kilometre is 23 paise as of March 2014. Partly because of this, the national transporter is always cash-strapped. In the latest year, it reported a loss of Rs 30,000 crore in the passenger segment. Operating ratios stood at a pathetic 94 percent, which means the Railways spend 94 paise to earn one rupee. Thus, no surprise that it was left with a meagre surplus of Rs 690 crore (latest year). In the past 10 years, 99 new line projects worth Rs 60,000 crore were sanctioned out of which only one project is completed till date. In fact, there are 4 projects that are as old as 30 years, but are yet to be completed. In the last 30 years, as many as 676 projects were sanctioned worth Rs 1.5 lakh crore. Of which, only 317 projects could be completed the balance 359 projects will now require as much as Rs 1.8 lakh crore. Last year the arrest of a railway board member after he was caught bribing the minister's nephew just so that he could get a lucrative post as member in charge of giving out railway electricity contracts epitomised the corruption in the system, little has changed since.

Rail Budget 2013: Railways faces Rs 24,600 crore losses from passenger traffic in 2012-13 – NDTV Profit

Putting Railways on profit track | Business Line

The Economics of India’s Railways | The Diplomat

Seems some thing is wrong with this id !

You own this forum?

One or two guys who are intolerant are enough to spread the B.S and make India from secular to fanatic right wing country here.

Some work over time tirelessly in various avatars to polarize opinion here

LOL i cracked a silly joke aur app kaha sey kaha challe gaye

please give these lectures to someone else or maybe you are his other silent partner issiliye itna offend ho gaye .

if there is someone here working tirelessly to brainwash people then it has got to be @Guynextdoor2 , the pdf lone ranger for seculars . His avatar suits him :D

And I share the same views which an overwhelming majority of indians hold here , if you think otherwise then sorry you have been living in an oblivion. :coffee:

Thanks for letting me know what an insecure person you are.

PS: YOU ARE GOING OFF TOPIC SHALL I CALL MODS , TTS & COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU LIKE YOUR FRIEND .

@jaatram kya problem hai en @Guynextdoor2 ko ?

Hamesha Prime minister ko disrespect se baat kyun karta hai ye ? Criticism ek jagah ye to gali galauch par utar aata hai ..

Yeh aam aadmi hai ji, inko kaam karna nahi aata. Sirf dharna aur gaaliya deni aati hai.

aur agar hum usko criticize kare toh apni puri fauj bulha leta hai humari encounter karwane

What does this ratio indicate? Below 100 operating ratio means that railways have surplus fund.
It means the costs(minus debt payments) made by the railway as % of revenue.
eg if railways sells a 100 rs ticket , an operating ratio of 93% means it spends 93 rs on costs hence profit is 100-93=7 rs.

LOL i cracked a silly joke aur app kaha sey kaha challe gaye

please give these lectures to someone else or maybe you are his other silent partner issiliye itna offend ho gaye .

if there is someone here working tirelessly to brainwash people then it has got to be @Guynextdoor2 , the pdf lone ranger for seculars . His avatar suits him :D

And I share the same views which an overwhelming majority of indians hold here , if you think otherwise then sorry you have been living in an oblivion. :coffee:

Thanks for letting me know what an insecure person you are.

PS: YOU ARE GOING OFF TOPIC SHALL I CALL MODS , TTS & COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU LIKE YOUR FRIEND .

aur agar hum usko criticize kare toh apni puri fauj bulha leta hai humari encounter karwane

No not all Indians share the same views, you are wrong regarding religious intolerance. I do not have to brain wash people with fake propaganda for sure.

Bold part is your insecurity, key board warrior!

It’s an organization that carries over 2.3 crore passengers a day, and over thousand million tonnes of freight a year with a total track length of 1.16 lakh kilometers. In FY14 Indian Railways registered revenues of Rs 1.4 lakh crore, of which Rs 94,000 crore came from freight and Rs 37,500 crore from passenger tickets, which is subsidised. The loss per passenger kilometre is 23 paise as of March 2014. Partly because of this, the national transporter is always cash-strapped. In the latest year, it reported a loss of Rs 30,000 crore in the passenger segment. Operating ratios stood at a pathetic 94 percent, which means the Railways spend 94 paise to earn one rupee. Thus, no surprise that it was left with a meagre surplus of Rs 690 crore (latest year). In the past 10 years, 99 new line projects worth Rs 60,000 crore were sanctioned out of which only one project is completed till date. In fact, there are 4 projects that are as old as 30 years, but are yet to be completed. In the last 30 years, as many as 676 projects were sanctioned worth Rs 1.5 lakh crore. Of which, only 317 projects could be completed the balance 359 projects will now require as much as Rs 1.8 lakh crore. Last year the arrest of a railway board member after he was caught bribing the minister's nephew just so that he could get a lucrative post as member in charge of giving out railway electricity contracts epitomised the corruption in the system, little has changed since.

Rail Budget 2013: Railways faces Rs 24,600 crore losses from passenger traffic in 2012-13 – NDTV Profit

Putting Railways on profit track | Business Line

The Economics of India’s Railways | The Diplomat
But overall the railways are in surplus. As regards to funding the infrastructure they can always raise funds and dont have to wait for accumulation of surplus. Since the passenger segment is making losses what the budget has done to minimise this? Its again the usual cross subsidization by increasing the freight. The rail minister should have been bold to increase the passenger fares. Increase in freight increases the corruption in the railways.

But overall the railways are in surplus. As regards to funding the infrastructure they can always raise funds and dont have to wait for accumulation of surplus. Since the passenger segment is making losses what the budget has done to minimise this? Its again the usual cross subsidization by increasing the freight. The rail minister should have been bold to increase the passenger fares. Increase in freight increases the corruption in the railways.
The drop in diesel is a huge relief that they are not advertising.

Back
Top Bottom