What's new

India Railway Budget 2015

An educated guess, considering AAP expectations ...

50% cut in all fares for the first half of the journey. If you complete the journey, then you have to pay in full.

lol...that was classic

You have basically three Indias, stratified by money, and money only.

1/2 total population: extremely poor. That’s 500 million ppl. They squeak by somehow. Of that figure, some percentage (not really sure, I’m guessing maybe 15-20% or 75-100million ppl) are DIRT POOR. They don’t eat everyday. They may spend their entire lives browsing the public dumps for food and anything they can use at home or possibly resale.
That’s a staggering number, and more poverty than China. You may think Democracy and capitalism work better than communism and capitalism, but the experiment has already been done in India and China, and India (democracy) has lost. Capitalism will not do anything to change the poverty of these 500 million people. Why? It is not designed to, that’s why, and that is a pretty basic failure when it comes to a model on which to base an entire society.

About 450 million lower-, middle-, and upper-middle class. Yes they do the IT jobs and the service jobs (Hello, this is Krish, may I help you?) and the engineering jobs. There’s also a class that produces the arts (classical music and dance, and of course, all things Bollywood). They are not as wealthy as the tech and engineering billionaires, but they don’t have to be because those billionaires are their patrons.

Then there’s the superrich. They do what superrich people everywhere do, and are in fact better thought of as members of the global superrich society.

Yes, the caste system still exists, but in the final analysis, it’s the money that determines status.

But my point is, these are three totally different societies, even though they are all comprised of Indian people. I’d be very careful about lumping them together. My musician friends and associates are as far away from the impoverished India as I am sitting here in Seattle. In fact, they are closer to me culturally than they are to India’s poor.

So says someone from a bullock cart economy. We have an annual railway budget- for you it's annual bullock cart budget.

I’ve received countless letters from Indian expats and residents. Most of them have been similar in temperament to yours in that they highlight the ancient glories of India as a way of pointing towards the future.

That may be so, but in a former life I was an asset manager and one key principle we learned was ‘past performance is no guarantee of future results.’

Just look at America! What began as an auspicious experiment in Enlightenment Political Theory, progressed , after our Civil War and Progressive Era to the Vanguard of the West is now sinking under the combined weight of greed and anti-intellectualism run amok. We, like you, cannot rest on our laurels. When we do, we betray our fundamental principles.

But, I should really, rather respond to your specific arguments, or historical anecdotes, such as they are:

a.) Sanskrit, while an amazing language and one that has facilitated a great many intellectual awakenings in the East and West, is not the Indo-European mother tongue. As you and I both know, the Aryans who invaded Hindustan around 2,000BCE brought with them a proto-Sanskrit closely related to Avestan and the Anatolian ancestral tongues.

b.) I was unaware of the university at Takshila, but this doesn’t surprise me. India has a very long and distinguished history of learning.

c.) Aryuveda: yes, indeed. India has given much to the world and the West ignores its gifts mostly due to ignorance and arrogance.

d.) Columbus and the wealth of the Indies: this is indisputable, if largely forgotten in the West as well. Columbus believed the earth was a globe–another idea I believe that has its genesis in a fusion of Greek and Indian knowledge–and sailed West in the (false) belief that he would reach India.

e.) Higher Math, Algebra and Zero: Zero, as a concept came from India and it was a concept the West resisted for centuries. The higher math examples you offer I can’t speak to, as I am no mathematician or historian of math, except I can say, with certainty, that algebra did not come from India. Algebra was a Perso-Arab development that came from the region between the Syr Darya and Amu Darya rivers in what is present-day Uzbekistan: Kwarazm.

But that’s really not what’s important. What’s key here is that India, as you document, has given the world many great things. This is not, nor was it ever, in dispute by me. My purpose, in arguing the way I did in “Reflections on India” was not to take away form what India had given the world, but to ask: how does India plan to follow up on its previous accomplishments. Also, I wrote it as a tonic to much of the hype here in the West about how India is the next ‘big thing.’ And all the nonsense about ‘how easy it is to do business in India.’

While what I wrote was addressed to my India friends in particular, it was meant as a wake-up call to Western businessmen and women about the difficulties they will face doing business in India. There is a lot of myth-making about India here in the West, especially by people like Tom Friedman. It needs to be countered. If India and the United States are going to have a global partnership of sorts, as looks increasingly likely, well, then we need to understand each other better, not just our strengths, but our weaknesses, as well.

Would you not agree?

This is an express or mail?

india060603.jpg

Back
Top Bottom