What's new

India Postpones ISTAR Aircraft Purchase From Raytheon

Mujraparty

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI — India's Ministry of Defence (MoD) has put on hold the purchase of two intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance (ISTAR) aircraft from Raytheon of the United States, due to internal wrangling between the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) over which of the two should be the technical evaluator, according to a source in the MoD. :hitwall:

The cost for the two aircraft was to be about $1 billion, with payment structured around the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program.

"The thinking here [of the MoD] is that the two agencies — DRDO and IAF — should sort out the issue and only then we proceed towards purchasing the two ISTAR aircraft," the source said.

The eventual designated agency will be responsible for deciding which software and other equipment should be used and how to procure it.

"DRDO must certainly be wanting to work on related projects. Blocking any acquisition that is critical to war fighting capability is patently anti-national," retired IAR Air Marshal Muthumanikam Matheswaran said. "DRDO understands this, and I don't think they will do this. I think this must be a case of misunderstanding where DRDO must be trying to leverage technologies. That they can and must do anyway, through offsets or [US-India Defense Technology and Trade Initiative] routes."

A senior IAF official said the service should have selection authority because it will be the operating agency for the two ISTAR aircraft. The official claimed that DRDO does not have the technical capability or expertise needed to evaluate the aircraft.

DRDO scientists were unavailable for comment.

IAF officials and analysts agree the ISTAR purchase is too important to be put off.

"ISTAR capability is very vital in today's operational and technologically networked environment," Matheswaran said. "Given the networked warfare scenario, and our adversaries' capabilities, the IAF is certainly in dire need of ISTAR capability."

Last year, the MoD decided not to float a global tender and instead procure two ISTAR aircraft from Raytheon through the FMS route.

While MoD bureaucrats wait for the inner wrangling to be resolved, IAF waits for the aircraft. Matheswaran said purchase of the ISTAR technology is "a critical requirement. However, the IAF is in a serious crisis as many of its modernization programs have been delayed."

The ISTAR aircraft is expected to be equipped with active electronically scanned array radar and capable of scanning more than 30,000 kilometers in a minute, analyzing the data in 10 to 15 minutes to identify targets.

Explaining the working of the ISTAR, Matheswaran said: "It is the central airborne platform that has state-of-the-art communications and sensors, along with advanced analytical capability to achieve real-time targeting capability in the battlefield and operational environment. It also networks with other sensors, such as unmanned aerial vehicles, to build a common picture for effective targeting. This information is fed to ground commanders for effective decision-making."

Once the ISTAR aircraft are inducted, they will be integrated with the IAF's indigenous air command-and-control system (IACCS).

Being built on the lines of NATO's air command-and-control system, IACCS handles air traffic control, surveillance, air mission control, airspace management and force management functions.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/india-postpones-istar-aircraft-purchase-from-raytheon

Shouldn't our " till now the best Defence Minister " be mediating here ?

I am not surprised here.
Though I may be shocked to paralysis if I don't read the word " delay " every week....

500mn$ each aircraft . i will be happy to know which aircraft is going to be used here ?

Isnt this nice ? Two agencies fighting over tow yet to be ordered aircrafts.

We have been hearing word "postpone" a lot in last few months.Something which this government was not supposed to do.

Does anyone has a proper source other than defensenews. I am asking bcz original so called interest was also quoted by defensenews only many years ago. Sadly I am yet to find any independent source all through different years which pointed we ever were interested.

So I really doubt the news from the very beginning

People should understand the usefulness of this platform in the event of war for situational awareness. By the way how its compares with JSTAR of USAF.

Does anyone has a proper source other than defensenews. I am asking bcz original so called interest was also quoted by defensenews only many years ago. Sadly I am yet to find any independent source all through different years which pointed we ever were interested.

If it is true, then you should add negative scoring to his rating.

im very surprised that this is coming from you .. .

We have received two RFIs from the IAF... We have responded to them but it is very early stages of forming the requirements," Justin Monger, Business Manager for Raytheon's Integrated Defence Systems, told visiting Indian reporters here in this city in Arizona state.

The partnership between the two entities could prove an upshot for India. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has been negotiating the purchase of two intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition reconnaissance (ISTAR) aircraft for about $350 million each from Raytheon, in order to boost its ground detection capabilities

Sources indicated that the IAF shortlisted Raytheon after evaluating responses to a request for information sent in 2011 to Boeing, Thales, BAE, Elta and Raytheon. Though Raytheon has offered a Gulfstream platform for the aircraft, it has left it open for the IAF to make its own platform selection.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...-for-surveillance-aircraft/article7945465.ece
p://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-11-11/news/30386977_1_radars-iaf-indian-air-force

Last edited:
If it is true, then you should add negative scoring to his rating.
No i am serious.

See this
2015 June 04
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...-carter-engine-lca-aircraft-carrier/28510113/

2013 Oct 18,
https://defence.pk/threads/india-raytheon-negotiate-istar-buy.283899/
Link there
India, Raytheon Negotiate ISTAR Buy | Defense News | defensenews.com

The note said
India had issued a RFI in 2011 and shortlisted Raytheon after eliminating Thales, Boeing, BAE and Elta. Raytheon has offered a Gulfstream platform for the aircraft but has left it open for the IAF to make its own platform selection.

On Nov 11, an article came out saying this

Indian Air Force, seeking airborne surveillance and reconnaissance radars to beef up security along India's long borders, has sent two Requests for Information (RFIs) to US-based defence equipment major Raytheon, a top company official said.

"We have received two RFIs from the IAF... We have responded to them but it is very early stages of forming the requirements," Justin Monger, Business Manager for Raytheon's Integrated Defence Systems, told visiting Indian reporters here in this city in Arizona state.

Monger said the IAF has not yet apparently decided whether it wants to go for the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) system or Mechanically Scanned Arrangement.

"Given the long border and geographic challenges, the surveillance aircraft has to go high up, may be 40,000 feet.

In view of these fundamental constraints, a high powered AESA radar on board a business jet like Gulf Stream or Bombardier (is required)," he said when asked which of the two systems would suit the IAF needs.

Monger said, however, IAF will have to specify its needs and the company would accordingly suggest a solution.

"It will be a big jump (for IAF) to switch to AESA," he added.
http://brahmand.com/news/IAF-to-pro...ance-and-reconnaissance-radars/8416/1/10.html

I mean even if this article is correct it points basically to defensenews article only. Bcz that's the source.. some pointed Joe Biden came to personally discuss this when he came to New Delhi in 2011..

Now I don't know if India was ok with CISMOA, BECA and LSA at that time. Bcz without that how will we get such a craft. That's why I am unable to connect the dots..

See above
The Hindu article is date 11th November again it's source is actually October news..

Think he meant a source other than Defence News!

+ How is it different from
2444339.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom