What's new

India pledges new low-cost drugs to developing nations

David James

BANNED
Reaction score
India pledges new low-cost drugs to developing nations

Stressing that India's pharmaceutical technology was appropriate for Africa, Commerce Minister Anand Sharma said India is committed to making available to developing countries newer generation life-saving drugs also.

"Eighty seven developing countries, their entire health care system is supported by Indian medicines, :woot: :yahoo:and we're committed to ensure that even the new generation of life-saving drugs, the Indian pharmaceutical industry will make, are available to our people and people of developing countries," Sharma said here at Sunday evening's inauguration of the 10th CII-Exim Bank conclave on India-Africa Project Partnership.

Describing India as a leader in the production of finished generics, Sharma told the gathering, which included ministers from many African countries, how the arrival of Indian generic drugs has changed the global discourse on anti-retrovirals (ARVs) for the treatment of HIV-AIDS rampant in Africa.

He pointed out how ARV costs have been brought down from $1,900 to $1,100 to treatment cost levels of a dollar a day.

"India has become the pharmacy of the world. We're the largest maker of finished generics and our biggest exports are to the US. :woot: :smokin:

And in the US, after the US pharma companies, the second largest FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approvals are with the Indian pharma companies," Sharma said.

This comes in the context of US pressures on India to increase its intellectual property rights (IPR) protection beyond the Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement under the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

The US International Trade Commission (USITC) has initiated a probe against India's domestic trade and investment policies, particularly intellectual property, or patent laws.

At a US Trade Representative (USTR) hearing Feb 24, several US-based organisations recommended that India be designated as a priority foreign country, alleging it lacks adequate and effective protection of intellectual property rights.

India's patent laws include provisions to ensure that intellectual property rights do not hinder the government taking measures for promoting public health. This includes making life saving medicines available at affordable rates.

India pledges new low-cost drugs to developing nations | Business Standard

These days lot of R&D centers in Pahrma sector are shifting to India, Hope India will become an R&D hub if right policies are implemented :cheers:

India needs to start developing its own drugs too, move up the value chain fellas.

itna mota paisa pharma companio ke pas nai hai abhi,,,,,but i hope eventually they will get there..

@drunken-monke
ur inputs...

First lets talk about the article, which is almost accurate... The medication of the African countries is funded by WHO and PEPFAR (USA) from antiretrovial treatment.. And India is a powerhouse for low cost generic drug manufacturing.. And India is doing its best in aiding Africans to fight AIDS and other diseases..

About development of new drugs, although this is not viable for major chunk of Pharma industries, but some have already progressed in this regard such as Dr. Reddy's Lab, Cadila Pharma, Wockhardt, Sun Pharma... In order to be in the business, these companies of India exploring these untapped business opportunities as well as emerging markets such as Australia, Japan, Turkey..
Cant say about the success rate, but India inc have started towards the Journey of New Chemical entity and thats a significant leap in this business...
My two cents in the thread.. Thanks..

First lets talk about the article, which is almost accurate... The medication of the African countries is funded by WHO and PEPFAR (USA) from antiretrovial treatment.. And India is a powerhouse for low cost generic drug manufacturing.. And India is doing its best in aiding Africans to fight AIDS and other diseases..

About development of new drugs, although this is not viable for major chunk of Pharma industries, but some have already progressed in this regard such as Dr. Reddy's Lab, Cadila Pharma, Wockhardt, Sun Pharma... In order to be in the business, these companies of India exploring these untapped business opportunities as well as emerging markets such as Australia, Japan, Turkey..
Cant say about the success rate, but India inc have started towards the Journey of New Chemical entity and thats a significant leap in this business...
My two cents in the thread.. Thanks..
dost,,,,during my mbbs,,,i read about centchroman(saheli)...what is its current status?? why is it not used in other countries??

dost,,,,during my mbbs,,,i read about centchroman(saheli)...what is its current status?? why is it not used in other countries??
Ormeloxifene (saheli) is available in india only legally..

About why it did not went outside India especially USA, the reason is the medicine is very cheap... also the dose is once a week (you are doc, you must be knowing).. The benefit out of sales does not surpasses cost of New drug introduction in USA or other countries to Torrent Pharma and not viable economically.. Also, the drug is specifically made for India where need to check the population growth which is not a as big issue as it is in India...

The bottom line is, since it was not economically viable to launch it in the foreign nations especially in USA, it was not used in other nations...

I hope this would help you my dost...

Ormeloxifene (saheli) is available in india only legally..

About why it did not went outside India especially USA, the reason is the medicine is very cheap... also the dose is once a week (you are doc, you must be knowing).. The cost of New drug introduction in USA or other countries does not benefit Torrent Pharma economically.. Also, the drug is specifically made for India where need to check the population growth which is not a as big issue as it is in India...

The bottom line is, since it was not economically viable to launch it in the foreign nations especially in USA, it was not used in other nations...

I hope this would help you my dost...
gud...
so nothng to do with quality issue....:tup:

Back
Top Bottom