What's new

India plans to procure 22 AH-64D Block III Apache Helicopters

India Requests Support for Direct Sale of AH-64D Block III APACHE Helicopters

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) notified the U.S. Congress on December 22 of a possible Foreign Military Sale (FMS) to the Government of India of various engines, equipment, weapons, training, parts and logistical support for a possible Direct Commercial Sale of 22 AH-64D Block III Apache helicopters. The complete package is worth approximately $1.4 billion.

The Government of India has requested proposals from several foreign suppliers, including the United States, to provide the next generation attack helicopter for the Indian Air Force. In this competition, the Government of India has yet to select the Boeing-United States Army proposal. This notification is being made in advance so that, in the event that the Boeing-U.S. Army proposal is selected, the United States might move as quickly as possible to implement the sale.

If the Government of India selects the Boeing-U.S. Army proposal, the Government of India will request a possible sale of

50 T700-GE-701D engines

12AN/APG-78 Fire Control Radars

12 AN/APR-48A Radar Frequency Interferometers

812 AGM-114L-3 HELLFIRE LONGBOW missiles

542 AGM-114R-3 HELLFIRE II missiles

245 STINGER Block I-92H missiles

23 Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensors, Rockets, training & dummy missiles

30mm ammunition

Transponders & Simulators

Global positioning system/inertial navigation systems

Communication equipment

Spare and repair parts; tools and test equipment, Support equipment, repair & return support

Personnel training and training equipment; publications and technical documentation, U.S. Government and contractor engineering and logistics support services & Other related elements of logistics support to be provided in conjunction with a proposed direct commercial sale of 22 AH-64D Block III APACHE Helicopters.

The estimated cost is $1.4 billion.

This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to strengthen the U.S.-India strategic relationship and to improve the security of an important partner which continues to be an important force for political stability, peace, and economic progress in South Asia.

The proposed sale in support of AH-64D helicopters will improve India’s capability to strengthen its homeland defense and deter regional threats. This support for the AH-64D will provide an incremental increase in India’s defensive capability to counter ground-armored threats.

India Requests Support for Direct Commercial Sale of AH-64D Block III APACHE Helicopters | India Defence

Last edited:
I don't know which feature would be taken out this time. Lets hope nothing is taken out but it seems impossible unless we sign agreements.

Apache is a dead cert to win the tender I would bank on it nothing comes close especially this block 3 version.

When India buy any weapon from the US, no upgrade is needed. Unlike buying things from Russia, India need to upgrade certain components from Europe

I still prefer a mix of Apaches and Mi 26, the most capable mix!

They are replacing the same number of older combat helicopters and don't forget that we will get LCH in higher numbers anyway. I would prefer a more customised version though, the engine and rotor blades of the British WAH Apache (more power, folding blades with anti-ice protection, quit useful for LHDs, or carrier operations and in our northern regions with low temps) and the Israeli avionics and self defense package, that their Apaches have.

From what I read, US does not want to sell apache long bow to Isreal because Obama administration want to protect Palestinian civilians. I think this is just an excuse. In any case, India should get the off the shelve version as no other upgrade is needed.

From what I read, US does not want to sell apache long bow to Isreal because Obama administration want to protect Palestinian civilians.
Its true. Apache in Israel hands might be a bad idea.

In any case, India should get the off the shelve version as no other upgrade is needed.
Apache blockIII is the latest. I am not sure but i think even US army has not even started to induct this version or they have just started to induct them.

From what I read, US does not want to sell apache long bow to Isreal because Obama administration want to protect Palestinian civilians. I think this is just an excuse. In any case, India should get the off the shelve version as no other upgrade is needed.

They already have Apache Longbows:

52611370.jpg

GOIAIR072.jpg

AH64D_754.jpg

They already have Apache Longbows:
Yeah i know that, they are using them in Afg. and Iraq. I was talking about the latest version Apache Block III.

Source : Wiki
Block III aircraft include the following upgrades: improved digital connectivity, the joint tactical radio system, enhanced engines and drive systems, capability to control UAVs, new composite rotor blade, full IFR capability and improved landing gear.[144] The new blades, which successfully completed flight testing in May 2004, increased the Apache's cruise speed, climb rate and payload capability.[145] The US Army now plans to field the first Block III equipped unit in November 2012.[146] The Army awarded a contract to begin initial production of Block III helicopters in October 2010.

Longbow users :
Egyptian Air Force ordered 36 AH-64As in 1995 and they were being upgraded to AH-64D configuration in 2005. In 2009 Egypt requested 12 AH-64D Block II Apaches through a Foreign Military Sale.

Hellenic Army received 20 AH-64As in 1995 and ordered 12 AH-64Ds in 2003. Had 19 AH-64A and 12 AH-64D helicopters in service in January 2010.

Israeli Air Force has 37 AH-64As and 11 AH-64Ds in inventory as of January 2010

Japan Ground Self-Defense Force has ordered 50 AH-64Ds as of 2005, with 2 AH-64s in use as of January 2010.

Kuwait Air Force had 16 AH-64Ds on order in 2004, with all 16 AH-64Ds in inventory as of January 2010.

Royal Netherlands Air Force received 30 AH-64Ds as of 2005, with 29 AH-64Ds in service as of 2010.

Republic of China (Taiwan) Army ordered 30 AH-64D Block III helicopters, additional GE T700-701D engines, weapons, and related systems through a Foreign Military Sale in 2008.

Royal Saudi Land Forces has 12 AH-64As in service as of January 2010.

Republic of Singapore Air Force has 20 AH-64Ds in use as of January 2010.

United Arab Emirates Air Force received 30 AH-64As by 2005. UAE has 12 AH-64As and 14 AH-64Ds in service as of January 2010.

United States Army has 741 AH-64s (241 AH-64As, and 500 AH-64Ds) in use as of January 2010.

United Kingdom actually operates AgustaWestland Apache. The first eight helicopters were built by Boeing; the remaining 59 were assembled by Westland Helicopters (now part of AgustaWestland) at Yeovil.

When it comes to getting the latest weaponry from the US, not an aged version, the choice should be obvious. This is the most advance US combat helicopter and the only issue for India is how much can Indian get, now are there any other choices or would it work for us or any other BS. For example, if the US offers F-35 to complete against other MRCA, should India debate? Just think of this is the F-35 of combat helicopters.

When it comes to getting the latest weaponry from the US, not an aged version, the choice should be obvious. This is the most advance US combat helicopter and the only issue for India is how much can Indian get, now are there any other choices or would it work for us or any other BS. For example, if the US offers F-35 to complete against other MRCA, should India debate? Just think of this is the F-35 of combat helicopters.

Why on earth do we want the f-35 overweight, overpriced junk? when we have the sleek FGFA??

When India buy any weapon from the US, no upgrade is needed. Unlike buying things from Russia, India need to upgrade certain components from Europe

But this is what customisation is all about we can pick what we want and who from like France, Israel etc and remember US does not provide nuclear subs and other advanced systems like the ruskies

But this is what customisation is all about we can pick what we want and who from like France, Israel etc and remember US does not provide nuclear subs and other advanced systems like the ruskies

I'm certain that apache does not provide the capabilities of a nuclear sub. That is totally another scenario. What I'm saying is that there is no need improve on the latest weapon that is sold by LM or Boeing. However, there can be customization. But customization is different from improvement.

Why on earth do we want the f-35 overweight, overpriced junk? when we have the sleek FGFA??

Buecause this junk and detect FGFA and shoot it down before FGFA have a chance to know what happened.

Buecause this junk and detect FGFA and shoot it down before FGFA have a chance to know what happened.

Dont be silly

F-35 JSF: Can It Meet Canada's Needs?

Russia is now in the early production phase of the Su-35S Flanker E+, and in the flight testing phase for the T-50 PAK-FA stealth fighter. The Su-35S is a formidable conventional fighter, which outperforms all US and EU types other than the F-22A Raptor, and is intended for high volume exports. The PAK-FA is Russia's answer to the F-22A Raptor, which is expected to aerodynamically outperform the F-22A in key flight regimes, but will not match the stealth performance of the F-22A. The PAK-FA will almost certainly match the stealth performance of the much inferior F-35.

Its true. Apache in Israel hands might be a bad idea.

Apache blockIII is the latest. I am not sure but i think even US army has not even started to induct this version or they have just started to induct them.

why the heck itz a bad idea if Israel get Apache block 3 ?? Listen u and i are no one to say this,if they want this to protect their territory and citizens then it's their job in watever mean,we have a impotent Govt doesn't mean they got the same :angry:

Back
Top Bottom