What's new

India & Pakistan to restart talks as foreign secys meet next week

What is the need to talk , both countries are doing just fine...These past 3 years have taught this that we can go on separate ways and be happy .

1) It would be foolish not to think peace with India does not have an impact on your economy. While the reverse case is also true, the impact will be greater in your case.

India has absolutely no impact on our economy. It never had. Neither is India a significant trading partner nor does we have anything at stake w.r.t India and vice verse.
2) How long it is going to last - no one knows. and it is the refusal to go into the North Waziristan is exactly why Pakistan needs peace with India. Only then it can divert its resource from the Eastern Front to its west.The issue of Pak Army being removed only when Indians also remove is a non-starter cuz we will not de-militarise our border.

We on the other hand do know exactly how long its going to take and the kind of peace you are talking about, one that would result in the complete withdrawal of Pakistani armed forces from Indian border is like living in a fools paradise.

3) Why am I not surprised.? After all misplaced priorities have been the hall mark of Pakistani establishment since its creation. Dont go into NW.Hell who cares ?? The militants over there dont explode their bombs in any Indian city not do they kill any Indians.It is the Pakistani civilians and the soldiers they kill. Dont go into NW, they will kill more.

Misplace priorities ehhh? Look whos talking. But i am not surprised either, because things like these can only come from Indians. Dude seriously do you really think we need an Indian advise on our priorities.:disagree:

You didn't read my earlier post, did ya?

The other option which I believe would be the better one is to not talk. Plain and simple.

No talks with Pakistan.

I'm not saying we should attack Pakistan or something because we can't for reasons which you very well pointed out.

But 'to not talk' is different from 'to wage war'.

There is no rocket science in your post that i did not read but it seems you are either not understanding my view point or you don't want to understand. So whatever. If not talking would have been an option, your government wouldn't be doing talking in the 1st place.

India has absolutely no impact on our economy. It never had. Neither is India a significant trading partner nor does we have anything at stake w.r.t India and vice verse.

Ok....so you mean to say legalising all the illegal trade routed through Dubai and other Arab countries wont have a bearing on your economy. ?

We on the other hand do know exactly how long its going to take and the kind of peace you are talking about, one that would result in the complete withdrawal of Pakistani armed forces from Indian border is like living in a fools paradise.

I know I am living in a fool's paradise saying to Pakistanis that India is not your immediate threat as a war will have much greater impact on our booming economy than on your country. We have other priorities right now and Pakistan is not one of those.But eh, whats the harm in trying after all who wants to see Pakistani civilians being killed by terrorists each passing day.

Misplace priorities ehhh? Look whos talking. But i am not surprised either, because things like these can only come from Indians. Dude seriously do you really think we need an Indian advise on our priorities.:disagree:

Why I should not talk - My country is not stuck up on some 'unfinished business of partition' that happened 60 years ago. We have moved on, reconciled to the loss of of 1/3 of our land and want to develop the economy and the HDI of the population.That is our priority right now, not reclaiming something we will not get.

But your country is doing exactly that. All the wars,the death by 1000 cuts have landed your country where it is now. In thinking of India as its impending danger, you are ignoring the more important danger for your country and more importantly for your society. namely the Taliban.

There is no rocket science in your post that i did not read but it seems you are either not understanding my view point or you don't want to understand. So whatever. If not talking would have been an option, your government wouldn't be doing talking in the 1st place.

Ok so now our govt. like 'always' makes the right choice?

Ok....so you mean to say legalising all the illegal trade routed through Dubai and other Arab countries wont have a bearing on your economy. ?

My question is what percentage that is?

I know I am living in a fool's paradise saying to Pakistanis that India is not your immediate threat as a war will have much greater impact on our booming economy than on your country. We have other priorities right now and Pakistan is not one of those.But eh, whats the harm in trying after all who wants to see Pakistani civilians being killed by terrorists each passing day.

Yes your economy has started to boom as you like to say but don't forget few years back our economy was booming too. Yours as well as other Indian members posts often sound as if our economy will remain the same while Indias will continue to grow. We too have other priorities on our mind, economy and electricity shortage on top but that does not mean we can remain oblivious to our eastern threat and pretend no threat exists.

Why I should not talk - My country is not stuck up on some 'unfinished business of partition' that happened 60 years ago. We have moved on, reconciled to the loss of of 1/3 of our land and want to develop the economy and the HDI of the population.That is our priority right now, not reclaiming something we will not get.

But your country is doing exactly that. All the wars,the death by 1000 cuts have landed your country where it is now. In thinking of India as its impending danger, you are ignoring the more important danger for your country and more importantly for your society. namely the Taliban.

You shouldnt because you dont know the ground realities. Let me ask you where were the taliban before 9/11. Why were there no bombings inside Pakistan because the way i see it as per Indian view our priorities have always been misplaced.
Taliban were not the reason for the breakage of Pakistan, India was so please spare me the moral high grounds. We can understand the threat posed to us from the so called taliban and then of course we have India.

Ok so now our govt. like 'always' makes the right choice?

I will not comment on the choice part but will give you two options which i think are the possible reasons for this. I could be wrong too.

1. To suck up to Americans and do their bidding.

2. To divert the public attention from the present conditions in our country like u know what right?

I think it is mostly the second. Our governments like to play this card whenever possible, actually on second thought this particular party can play any kind of dirty card!!!

My question is what percentage that is?

Well one thing I know,it runs into billions and is a significant amount for any country.

Yes your economy has started to boom as you like to say but don't forget few years back our economy was booming too. Yours as well as other Indian members posts often sound as if our economy will remain the same while Indias will continue to grow. We too have other priorities on our mind, economy and electricity shortage on top but that does not mean we can remain oblivious to our eastern threat and pretend no threat exists.

Unless you guys go into the tribal areas,clear out the terrorists holed there and establish the writ of Pakistan over there your economy will remain stagnant because the investor confidence in your country goes down with each passing bomb blast in Karachi or Lahore or Peshawar. And I am not saying we are not a threat, we are. But your more immediate threats are elsewhere and not on the Eastern front.

Again why would we attack you without a provocation and when it has a much greater impact on us than on you.

You shouldnt because you dont know the ground realities. Let me ask you where were the taliban before 9/11. Why were there no bombings inside Pakistan because the way i see it as per Indian view our priorities have always been misplaced.
Taliban were not the reason for the breakage of Pakistan, India was so please spare me the moral high grounds. We can understand the threat posed to us from the so called taliban and then of course we have India.

Yes there was no threat before 9/11. But it changed all that.

But do you think the situation is reversible? Once American leave will everything go back to the state it was on Sep 10,2001. ? No It will not. The TTP has been formed and it will be there, no matter if the Americans or there or not, till the Pakistani state completely eradicates them.

The TTP will be emboldened by the leaving of Americans, your country wont get the much needed military aid it needs to combat them and guess what you will be going for negotiations like you did in Swat.They will be further emboldened and will try to establish its writ over the area and its Deja Vu all over again.

Talking means resuming the status-quo, in context of India and Pak.

Unless you guys go into the tribal areas,clear out the terrorists holed there and establish the writ of Pakistan over there your economy will remain stagnant because the investor confidence in your country goes down with each passing bomb blast in Karachi or Lahore or Peshawar. And I am not saying we are not a threat, we are. But your more immediate threats are elsewhere and not on the Eastern front.

Again why would we attack you without a provocation and when it has a much greater impact on us than on you.

That was the most unneeded part of your post Sri. Wonder when you would realize that a Bharati would be last person on this earth that we would seek advice from for our priorities related to our national security. And that too from a RSS supporter like you. In short it was unneeded. Hopefully you would refrain from showering us with more "words of wisdom". :whistle:

Yes there was no threat before 9/11. But it changed all that.

Thanks for the acceptance.

But do you think the situation is reversible?

Why not???

Once American leave will everything go back to the state it was on Sep 10,2001. ? No It will not.

OK. I love your optimism about TTP but TTP is already in a lot weak position than it was a 2-3 years ago. It's abilities to create havoc has been seriously damaged.

The TTP will be emboldened by the leaving of Americans, your country wont get the much needed military aid it needs to combat them and guess what you will be going for negotiations like you did in Swat.They will be further emboldened and will try to establish its writ over the area and its Deja Vu all over again.

And when the Americans are present in this region TTP has got weak and it's ability to commit attacks has decreased tremendously but when Americans would leave Afghanistan TTP would revive again!!! Is this a joke or what??? I am not surprised either since you have a very little or no knowledge about these regions and TTP.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

india/indus can impact your economy.... agriculture in pakistan plays a main role in its economy...:tup:

this will bring about nothing like the previous meets....first we invite, we then ask about 26/11,then they get angry ,then they leave red faced----(keeps the west satisfied as some talk takes place,besides keeping up our image of a peace loving nation taking efforts to solve issues through talks)

Peace talk will be conducive if we talk about the issues effecting peace.If kashmir is not brought in then there wont be much progress or any progress.

Back
Top Bottom