PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India, Pakistan cannot sideline Kashmir: Mirwaiz

New Delhi, June 07, 2008
First Published: 12:22 IST(7/6/2008)
Last Updated: 15:39 IST(7/6/2008)

The new civilian government in Pakistan has to take the army on board before implementing its ideas on the Kashmir issue, Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has said.

"It is very difficult for any prime minister in Pakistan to come up with a set of ideas and try to implement it on its own unless and until there is a backing of other institutions in Pakistan," he told Karan Thapar in a TV interview.

Asked whether he was referring to the Pakistan army in particular, Mirwaiz replied, "In particular ... We know it for sure."

His response came after constant questioning over the spate of statements by Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and PPP leader Asif Ali Zardari indicative of a change in Kashmir policy by the new regime in Islamabad.

The new civilian government in Pakistan has to take the army on board before implementing its ideas on the Kashmir issue, says Farooq."I don't think there is a change in Pakistan's policy but definitely in approach, and which I feel is a welcome sign," said Farooq. "Because if we have to address the issue of Kashmir, we have always said that out-of-the-box solution and out-of-the- box approach are needed."

Farooq was replying after he was asked about the comments of Zardari that India and Pakistan should not be hostage to the UN resolution but could agree to disagree and, additionally, they should leave the Kashmir dispute to a later wiser generation and instead get on with improving their relationship.

Mirwaiz insisted that Kashmir was important to the Pakistani people and could not be sidelined. And it did not matter what individual politicians said.

"In reality if we have to move forward, we have to understand the fact that Kashmir is a very vibrant issue in Pakistan....I am absolutely confident that no government in Pakistan can sideline the Kashmir issue...No government can afford (to do) it," he said.

"The Hurriyat Conference is always of the view that we as Kashmiris believe that the time has come when Pakistan has to think in terms of what is in the interest of Kashmiris rather than what Pakistan is going to get out of Kashmir," he added.

India and Pakistan cannot have a workable relationship till the Kashmir issue is resolved, Farooq said. Rejecting that Hurriyat was an obstacle in Indo-Pak friendship, he said: "We want to be a bridge of friendship between the two countries. But whatever Zardari is saying or Gilani is saying, the fact is that Kashmir is a bone of contention and you cannot have a workable relations between India and Pakistan unless and until there is some movement on Kashmir."

India, Pakistan cannot sideline Kashmir: Mirwaiz- Hindustan Times'

"It is very difficult for any prime minister in Pakistan to come up with a set of ideas and try to implement it on its own unless and until there is a backing of other institutions in Pakistan," he told Karan Thapar in a TV interview.

Asked whether he was referring to the Pakistan army in particular, Mirwaiz replied, "In particular ... We know it for sure."

That's exactly what I've been arguing.

There is no guarantee that the Pakistan Army will implement the will of the civilian government.

The Civilian establishment and the Army are working at odds with each other.

Same applies to ISI.

There is no guarantee that the Pakistan Army will implement the will of the civilian government.

Same applies to ISI.

Who told you that Zardari is equal to the Civilian government in the first place.

He is not even an elected memeber.

When Musharraf presented many out of the box proposals to India for solution of long-standing Kashmir Issue, Mirwaiz never objected to it why ???
Beacuse he is the President of Pakistan and the civilian government was all behind him at that time.

Zardari is no body.
And so far the army has not even reacted over the statment of zardari even.

So please dont jump lets wait and see if the Pakistani parliament decided the same what Zardari said then no one can ignor it

Who told you that Zardari is equal to the Civilian government in the first place.

OK...here goes....

"...spate of statements by Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and PPP leader Asif Ali Zardari indicative of a change in Kashmir policy by the new regime ...."

OK...here goes....

"...spate of statements by Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and PPP leader Asif Ali Zardari indicative of a change in Kashmir policy by the new regime ...."

:) come up with details of Gillani's statments as i had listend to his interview while in india when he was being interviwed by Thapar and his answers were much balanced not that refelction of Zardari.

Secondly unless the policy is passed by the parliament you can not term the statment of even a PM as policy of a civilian government

No, they cannot and yet they are doing,

Now, what can be done about that?

Same applies to ISI.

With all due respect, the PA has gone along with and accepted all the CBM's initiated by the civilian government, and those under Musharraf.

If the PA does not want the civilian government to "normalize", then you won't see any initiatives from Pakistan on anything.

This doesn't mean the the GoP or PA will accept every CBM India proposes, but they have, and will, push for CBM's they consider appropriate.

Same applies to ISI.

This is why I always say that India should of negotiated with President Musarraf 2 years ago when his hand was heavy and had the military under his wings. Nut just to clear it up when India sends a proposal to Pakistan it is sent to the military and when Pakistan send a proposal it goes to the military. In Pakistan the militaries role is much more open then in India.

Musharraf has clearly indicated that he is not leaving in a hurry.

There is still hope!

Mujahideen,

Under Musharraf a lot has been achieved. Though I will agree, he is not a miracle man!

I wonder if anyone knows a miracle man either in India or in Pakistan.

Let us thank the Creator for small mercies, at least!

Musharraf has clearly indicated that he is not leaving in a hurry.
There is still hope!
Mujahideen,
Under Musharraf a lot has been achieved. Though I will agree, he is not a miracle man!
I wonder if anyone knows a miracle man either in India or in Pakistan.
Let us thank the Creator for small mercies, at least!

Well we can only hope for the best. But what I was refering to was that before President Musharraf was strong today he is weak. The people have no faith in him(Even though I think he is still the best thing for Pakistan).

Many times, and actually along the whole history, there was a truth: no right, no wrong ,but only the weak and the strong.(I made it, :))

When Pakistan become strong enough, Pakistani can get what they want, not to mention a Kashimir; And when Indea become a super strong country, it can also manage the problem of Kashimir, of course inlcuding controlling the Kashimir after the death of we chinese.

Mirwaiz is hungry for attention. He seems to be implying that "India and Pakistan should both be stuck in their rut and not move an inch here and there until and unless the solution (or whatever it is) I want for Kashmir is implemented."

Good morning sir, we (India/Pakistan) are going to move ahead with everything else but Kashmir because both our countries and countrymen do not see a feasible solution in sight besides maintaining the status quo and ensuring the economic well-being of Kashmir.

The only option I see is recognition of the LoC into the IB.

Well we can only hope for the best. But what I was refering to was that before President Musharraf was strong today he is weak. The people have no faith in him(Even though I think he is still the best thing for Pakistan).

Why has this faith evaporated when he was riding the high ever since he took over from Nawaz Sharif?

He has done more for Pakistan ( as an outsider's view) than either BB or NS.

Vish,

Indeed the recognition of the LC as the IB appears the only solution since it is not feasible to take either areas militarily or even politically.

Yet, practical solutions don't gel with the emotive nuances that Kashmir ignites on either sides.

Back
Top Bottom