What's new

India offers help in stopping proliferation of WMDs

I have a question for the Indian members here, india considers the NPT to be discriminatory (which it is) so hence it feels as the west and other nations have the right to possess nuclear weapons, hence so should she. Now what would Indians say to say Myanmar or Bangladesh, if they sometime in the future wished to develop such weapons?

Does its neighbours have an equal right to develop and possess WMDs?

I have a question for the Indian members here, india considers the NPT to be discriminatory (which it is) so hence it feels as the west and other nations have the right to possess nuclear weapons, hence so should she. Now what would Indians say to say Myanmar or Bangladesh, if they sometime in the future wished to develop such weapons?

Does its neighbours have an equal right to develop and possess WMDs?

afaik GOI's policy has been to urge nuclear disarmament but since that is not feasible, it strongly believes in nuclear non-proliferation and usage of nuclear power for peaceful purposes. if BD wants to develop civilian nuclear power (completely on its own or collaborating under IAEA guidelines), I don't see why anyone should object.

afaik GOI's policy has been to urge nuclear disarmament but since that is not feasible, it strongly believes in nuclear non-proliferation and usage of nuclear power for peaceful purposes. if BD wants to develop civilian nuclear power (completely on its own or collaborating under IAEA guidelines), I don't see why anyone should object.

That was not the question, as india thinks that the NPT is discriminatory and hence it has the right to develop nuclear weapons, do the indians also think its neighbors Myanmar and Bangladesh have the same right to develop nuclear weapons?

That was not the question, as india thinks that the NPT is discriminatory and hence it has the right to develop nuclear weapons, do the indians also think its neighbors Myanmar and Bangladesh have the same right to develop nuclear weapons?

one indian's opinion;
from a philosophical standpoint: yes.
from a realistic one: it would be an utterly wasteful endeavor

Wasteful or not, you agree that your neighbours (or anyother nation) have as much right as you to develop nuclear weapons? So if any nation has as much right where does that leave "India offers help in stopping proliferation of WMDs".

India has developed WMDs, so can not preach to others about non proliferation!

Wasteful or not, you agree that your neighbours (or anyother nation) have as much right as you to develop nuclear weapons? So if any nation has as much right where does that leave "India offers help in stopping proliferation of WMDs".

proliferation is quite different than independent development my dear friend.
India has developed nukes, but it has not proliferated.

Morally India cannot stop anyone from acquiring it. But India is all for disarmament, so the entire world could be in a safer place. Its only one certain country that is blocking it. Otherwise we would have made some progress

proliferation is quite different than independent development my dear friend.

If Bangladesh were to decide to develop a WMD program, you expect it not to be independent? Who would help? US/USSR/China/inda WMD program development were all independent.

But what i am trying to get at is "india is in no position to preach to others about non proliferation". It would be hypocritical and exactly how would india “help in stopping proliferation of WMDs”?

If Bangladesh were to decide to develop a WMD program, you expect it not to be independent? Who would help? US/USSR/China/inda WMD program development were all independent.

But what i am trying to get at is "india is in no position to preach to others about non proliferation".

India does have an impeccable nuclear non-proliferation record so I can see why it would like to increase its participation in this field.
as for BD, we're talking about something that will never happen so lets not go off-tangent on it.

But what i am trying to get at is "india is in no position to preach to others about non proliferation".

Bangladesh is a signatory to NPT. It should have been more proper if you haven't signed it if you didn't agree to its content. You basically agreed that few certain countries can have the privilege of nuclear weapons and others cannot. So what changed?

Even if you want to protest, then do it against NPT, India is all for it. India would be more than happy to see a nuclear free world.

Your missing the point, by developing WMDs india can't say to others, that they should not develop WMDs, "It would be hypocritical". That is what india has been shouting about all this time, now it is a nuclear power it wants to say to others, they shouldn't do the same!

Your missing the point, by developing WMDs india can't say to others, that they should not develop WMDs, "It would be hypocritical". That is what india has been shouting about all this time, now it is a nuclear power it wants to say to others, they shouldn't do the same!

you are continuing to mix "development of nuclear weapons" and "nuclear proliferation". they are two distinct matters.
every country has the right to the first one, India is only against the second

read through the wiki article, it should help clarify some of your questions
Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you are continuing to mix "development of nuclear weapons" and "nuclear proliferation". they are two distinct matters.

What is the moral argument backing up this one? Either way, they'll get the nukes.

This only means, that the larger countries will get nukes, while small countries like Singapore won't.

Please explain the distinctions for us simpletons. How do you develop nuclear weapons without nuclear proliferation?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom