What's new

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers

No, "The Rule" is a relative term, Piracy exists every where even in USA.

This is India, not some less populated and higher income western country, here the rules of engagement to do business is different, we have to feed 1.2 Billion people and anybody who wants to do business should accept the faults of Indian market and take advantage of its growth.

India rules work here not USA's rules.

Every business accounts for a certain amount of loss due to theft/piracy/etc. as unavoidable. The percentage will depend on the locality, and developing countries will be viewed as higher risk. The complaint here seems to be that the authorities are viewed as being complicit through negligence.

My friend, these people want to patent life saving drugs which is a no-no in India.

They want us to even patent our own make that we do in partnership. By patenting, these life saving drugs would be 10 times costlier with dollars flying into US coffers and lakhs of people dying because of being unable to afford it.

Tell me, what where these businessmen doing when they were clarified of Indian terms and conditions in the first place?

They even protested the expiry of patents of many other important drugs despite having crossed 30+ years since their invention.

This is greed and not 'rules'.

We cannot accept such things and neither would any developing country including you or the Chinese.

The issue of evergreening patents is handled legally, as the Indian Supreme Court did recently. I agree that public health concerns can provide just cause for a country to suspend patent protections, as Brazil did with AIDS drugs. However, I see less justification for matters not involving life-or-death situations.

In 60 days they will probably rescind all GSP advantages and currently forcing Merkel to go the same way. All on the excuse that BD garment workers don't get rights. Yes they should get rights but not due to attempts by the US to arm twist you. How can you're parties both BNP and AL allow this- ON THIS AT LEAST they should unite and go at it together.

government is corrupted even BNP, they do not care about people and we fool people vote them everytime. Workers need safe working condition which i support but this GSP facilities will not help because all garments do not have much money to safe guard everything just a blink of eyes, need time. It is like you are not letting the company to make profit so that with that money can improve condition, even some garments company may shut down which may cause many other companies' worker to lose their jobs. Good thing is many other countries started to offer GSP facilities with export like Euroasia

government is corrupted even BNP, they do not care about people and we fool people vote them everytime. Workers need safe working condition which i support but this GSP facilities will not help because all garments do not have much money to safe guard everything just a blink of eyes, need time. It is like you are not letting the company to make profit so that with that money can improve condition, even some garments company may shut down which may cause many other companies' worker to lose their jobs. Good thing is many other countries started to offer GSP facilities with export like Euroasia

Yaara EU is the golden egg here..compare the importance of EU put against even the Yanks. IF the EU follows their lead than Eurasia/India/China nothing will matter and you know that. Best get your government to wake up.

Indian govt should respect intellectual property rights.

BTW congressmen named in the article are from the decades old anti india lobby.

Ever wonder why the rupee value is decreasing w.r.t dollar??

one of the key imports of India in oil and US is controlling it.

Yes noticing the rupee state which was surprising. The same fear was expressed but an Indian said here that it was 60s or something era.

anyway what India or for that matter any country can do as guard against this veiled blackmailing?

Hahahaha :rofl:

The idiot talking about the patent on "that" cancer drug. Its NOT allowed in india for life saving drugs.
Well i guess his problem would have been Indian companies making that drug available to other countries killing US business and saving human lives. Sad.

of the capitalists, for the capitalists & by the capitalist

Lincoln would be so dammed :woot:

Dont forget if US wants to hurt you for that it can. it doesnt matter even if you are in 2030.

US is not more developed than Turkey

Sure it can as a nation which is obvious

But can it as a nation made by corporates who rake massive revenues from India?

Not in hell no.

If that was the case, they'd have embargoed us decades ago.

The kind of market depth we offer as a country, no other nation than China can offer.

That's the reason that even if the senate in US wants to force us to do something, their corporate giants will squash any such ideas because it will hurt them in the long run.

The per capita spending in India is rising and as it does, it will only compel US companies to invest more and reach out to the Indian consumers more and more.

Limiting commercial ties would destroy their corporate giants, who face stiff competition from European and Asian competitors.

All this mentioned here is tough talk.

Indian govt should respect intellectual property rights.

BTW congressmen named in the article are from the decades old anti india lobby.

Our side was very much clear that drugs that are having life saving value cannot be and will not be patented under Indian laws.

At that time the Americans were all too keen to trade and do business.

Now when the talk of committing is coming, they are shouting and bawling.

Yes noticing the rupee state which was surprising. The same fear was expressed but an Indian said here that it was 60s or something era.

anyway what India or for that matter any country can do as guard against this veiled blackmailing?

To tell you,

Once there lived a great country which is advanced militarily, economically and scientifically called USA. This country is blessed with good natural resources , smart brains and great entrepreneurs to make it stronger and rule the globe for centuries.

Unfortunately after the fall of Soviet Union they need an enemy to terrorize people all around the world so that they can become heroes and there by policing the world and keeping their dominance intact.
So they made an enemy out Islam now called "Radical Islam".

Due to the wars they started loosing economically, so they thought a strategy to export jobs to human resource rich countries like China and India predominantly.

So a concept called "Multi National Company", even though it is based in USA they call it Multinational and will take advantage of Cheap resources.

Now because of the export of the jobs and tech. two giants India,China grew in a decade and are threatening the West.

No Uncle Sam wants to tighten the screws on both Asian Giants. For that there are are lot of ways and weapons are there in his disposable.

One of the front in this war is economy, Oil is the the key in this sector.

As far as India is concerned we need to diversify out clients in Oil sector and explore in India for oil resources, at the same time invest in alternate sources of energy.

IOR is blessed with lot of resources and I think India is taking steps to explore there.

Economy is Battle fought every day, some times you win some times you loose, But every thing is temporary so no worries here :cheers:

Hahahaha :rofl:

The idiot talking about the patent on "that" cancer drug. Its NOT allowed in india for life saving drugs.
Well i guess his problem would have been Indian companies making that drug available to other countries killing US business and saving human lives. Sad.

of the capitalists, for the capitalists & by the capitalist

Lincoln would be so dammed :woot:

to save the capitalist image they create wars :))) seems they can create hurdles for business as well to promote own one that too while being so friendly

Indian Govt was never bothered with what US congressmen/congresswomen says.

In the 90's and 80's many US Congressmen used to openly say that US must support creation of independent khalistan,kashmir,nagaland and assam.They even called India a Nazi state.:lol:
But not a single fook was given by Indian govt that day.

Even recently these very same congressmen who are mentioned in the article opposed India-US N deal but they failed badly.

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers

Jun 29, 2013, 05.10 AM IST

WASHINGTON: Top American lawmakers on Friday criticised India's trade and business policies, saying that New Delhi is not willing to play by the rules.

"When you look at India's industrial policy, trade barriers, the rampant piracy, the tax discrimination and what appears to be an absolute disregard for our intellectual property rights, you realize that India is a country that is not willing to play by the rules right now," Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn said at a Congressional hearing.

"What's worse is that they're trying to gloss over this. And here's an example. Last week, the Indian ambassador sent a letter to my office defending their abusive practices that are killing jobs of millions of hardworking Americans," Blackburn said in reference to the letter sent by ambassador Nirupma Rao.

"India's principles set a disappointing example to the rest of the world. No country that calls itself a friend of the US would celebrate isolationism the way that India is doing," Blackburn said.

"We have overwhelming bipartisan agreement in Congress that India's government must reverse course or risk seriously threatening our bilateral relationship," said the Congresswoman from Tennessee during the Congressional hearing on "A Tangle of Trade Barriers: How India's Industrial Policy is Hurting US Companies".

The hearing was convened by the commerce, manufacturing, and trade subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

The letter written by the Indian ambassador to Congressmen was also made part of the record of the Congressional hearing as part of India's position on the issues.

Expressing deep concern over the Indian policies related to the intellectual property rights, Congressman Leonard Lance from New Jersey said the United States must exhibit leadership in the area of protecting IP rights.

"Emerging companies that adopt the Indian model of intellectual property policymaking also pose a risk to United States companies. We must make it clear to all trading partners that these policies set a bad precedent and undermine our mutually beneficial trade agreements," he said.

Congressman Peter Olson from Texas expressed his anger over the recent Indian policies, which he said is badly hurting American companies and called for taking actions against New Delhi.

"Like all of you all, my blood boils when I hear that India is revoking and denying patents and granting compulsory licenses for cancer treatments or adopting local content requirements," he said.

"As a nation, we should handle India like my dad did when I was growing up and I made his blood boil: He put his arm around me and or pulled me where he would go, to make sure his fingers were resting firmly on my shoulder just to inflict some pain if I diverted from the course we would go down. That's what we should do with their government," Olson said

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers - The Times of India
Ohh..to madam ko pharma lobby wall main pause diye hain Is bar...

) Seeking a sizeable pie in India's fast emerging solar energy market, the American solar industry has asked it to remove the trade barriers which discriminates against US solar exports.

Testifying before a Congressional committee, Solar Energy Industry Association vice president John Smirnow alleged that India's local content requirement "discriminates against US solar exports and, thereby, provides an unfair competitive advantage to India's domestic solar manufacturers.

Worth Reading

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom