What's new

India no place for foreign women

Enemy

Reaction score
On January 7, Japanese actor Yu Asada took a cab from the IGI Airport in Delhi to her hotel in Mahipalpur. It was her maiden trip to India, and she had come to Delhi to meet the cast and crew of My Japanese Niece, a film by Manipuri director Mohen Naorem. That taxi ride was the worst she ever had.

"The cabbie charged me Rs 4,800. When I told him I couldn't pay so much, he talked about the recent gang rape in Delhi and insinuated that I might meet the same fate. I was numb with fear," she told TOI.

American Michelle Tanner (name changed) didn't have to part with her money when she came to India on a backpacking trip in 2010, but she did become a victim of sexual harassment. "Someone pinched my bottom when I went to Chandni Chowk; when I turned around to see who it was, I felt a hand grab my breast. I felt so humiliated that I immediately returned to my hotel, shut myself in my room, and broke down," she said. :lol: *

Both Asada and Tanner did not approach cops. Neither do the hordes of foreign travellers who face sexual harassment in varying degrees in India. Their reason is simple: when local women with all their familiarity with the law and advantage of language have such a tough time reporting a sexual offence or getting an FIR lodged, what chance do they have as foreigners?

British woman Kaya Enrich, 27, learnt this the hard way when she was molested by a plumber in Gujarat in 2009 and decided to lodge a case. She was allegedly humiliated in a metropolitan court in Ahmedabad. "The questioning was aggressive, and it seemed to be aimed at demeaning me as far as possible so as to weaken the case. I was asked everything in Gujarati and told to answer in Gujarati even though I had asked for an interpreter," she had said back then.

At an even greater disadvantage are those women who don't come from the English-speaking world and, therefore, do not dare move an inch without help from their foreign offices. India doesn't have an enviable reputation for dispensing quick justice; and tourists with their tight itineraries don't want to go through the rigmarole of procedure, never-ending investigations and sanity-defying questions that promise very little comfort.

According to statistics shared by the market research division of the ministry of tourism, 6.65 million tourists came to India last year. Of them, roughly 40% (2.66 million) were women. This figure is likely to go up with India setting a target of increasing its share of arrivals from the current 0.6% to 1% by the end of the 12th plan. This simply means more and more women will come to India, either for work or pleasure, and quite likely, carry home sordid tales of harassment: tales that would eventually find vent in blogs and websites and dent the India story.

Additional DCP Suman Nalwa, who heads Delhi Police's special unit for women and children, said foreigners in need of help are usually tended to. But what about those who cannot speak English? "They have to take help from their embassies. But some of our police districts have moved a proposal to hire interpreters from the School of Languages in JNU to help us cross the language barrier, which is a major constraint. I hope that we will be able to tend to foreigners better once we have the interpreters," she said.

The country earned Rs 94,487 crore from tourism alone last year—a 21.8% growth as compared to the earnings in 2011. But this achievement has been belittled by the findings of an HSBC expat survey that puts India at the bottom of the ladder among 30 countries in terms of overall experience of foreigners.

Yvonne Anwar (name changed), a Frenchwoman of Algerian descent working in an MNC in Gurgaon, said she feels uncomfortable going out at night, or in crowded places. "Being a woman, and that too a foreigner, is difficult in India, isn't it?"

India no place for foreign women? - The Times of India

* smiling face was sarcastically put

truth, we have a long way to go in this regard.
a shame for all indians

Though this case is a bit different.

Bihar man held for ‘sexually exploiting’ Filipina - The Times of India

GAYA: Gyan Prakash, the 'net lover' from Bettiah, has been sent to jail on the dual charge of cheating and rape under Sections 376 and 420 of IPC. The lover, who is alleged to have sexually assaulted a middle-aged woman from Philippines, was prima facie found guilty and sent to jail, said Bodh Gaya DSP Rakesh Dubey. Gyan Prakash was earlier arrested from Bettiah and interrogated by the police at Bodh Gaya.

According to the DSP, investigation has revealed that the woman, who was in constant touch with the Bettiah youth, came all the way from Philippines to celebrate New Year with him, stayed and roamed together at Bodh Gaya. The youth also accepted gifts from her.

When asked about the possibility of it being consensual sex and not rape, the DSP said it was for the court to decide whether it was rape or consensual sex between two adults. On the point of medical examination of the complainant, the DSP said all the legal formalities will be completed in due course.

The Filipina, ShelahEcoben (41), currently working with a US project in Afghanistan, met GyanPrakash (27) of 'Motihari' through online chat and fell in love with him and, finally, ended up writing an email to BiharDGPAbhayanand on January 15 accusing him of sexual exploitation and cheating her when she visited BodhGaya. She provided Gyan's mobile number also and the police traced him to be a resident of Miantand in Bettiah, and not of Motihari, and detained him.

The DGP forwarded the email to the IG (weaker sections) Arvind Pandey who forwarded it to the SP, Bettiah Sunil Kumar Naik. "Ecoben, in her email, accused Gyan of having physical relationship with her on the pretext of marrying the Filipina and cheating her by using her credit cards," the DGP said.

Pandey said the email was forwarded to Bettiah SP. "We have asked her to decide what she wants as she is keen to marry Gyan. However, the man has accepted that he is in love and wants to marry her. He has also accepted that he stayed with her at Bodh Gaya."

Naik confirmed to TOI that Gyan has been detained and Ecoben has expressed her wish to marry him. "Gyan owns a gas agency and a petrol pump. Ecoben came to Bodh Gaya on December 29 and stayed for two days with him at a hotel there. In her email, she has mentioned that she had been forced to pay all the expenses during her tour. Gyan also did shopping by using her credit cards," Naik said, adding, "She has been asked to submit a fresh application mentioning her wish and send one copy to the Indian embassy in Afghanistan and another to the DGP."

"i can't manage myself because he did an sexual harrashment on me. i need a help all about my problem sir if ever i got pregnant :chilli: * he is now hiding from me. i need your help and support from your good office and management (sic)," she has written in the email.

Gaya SSP Vinay Kumar said, "We had lodged an FIR on the basis of her first complaint sent to the DGP as Gaya was the place of occurrence. But when she was contacted by the Gaya and Bettiah police, she sought legal help to force Gyan to marry her. We are consulting lawyers in this connection."

* sarcasm

On January 7, Japanese actor Yu Asada took a cab from the IGI Airport in Delhi to her hotel in Mahipalpur. It was her maiden trip to India, and she had come to Delhi to meet the cast and crew of My Japanese Niece, a film by Manipuri director Mohen Naorem. That taxi ride was the worst she ever had.

"The cabbie charged me Rs 4,800. When I told him I couldn't pay so much, he talked about the recent gang rape in Delhi and insinuated that I might meet the same fate. I was numb with fear," she told TOI.

American Michelle Tanner (name changed) didn't have to part with her money when she came to India on a backpacking trip in 2010, but she did become a victim of sexual harassment. "Someone pinched my bottom when I went to Chandni Chowk; when I turned around to see who it was, I felt a hand grab my breast. I felt so humiliated that I immediately returned to my hotel, shut myself in my room, and broke down," she said. :lol:

Both Asada and Tanner did not approach cops. Neither do the hordes of foreign travellers who face sexual harassment in varying degrees in India. Their reason is simple: when local women with all their familiarity with the law and advantage of language have such a tough time reporting a sexual offence or getting an FIR lodged, what chance do they have as foreigners?

British woman Kaya Enrich, 27, learnt this the hard way when she was molested by a plumber in Gujarat in 2009 and decided to lodge a case. She was allegedly humiliated in a metropolitan court in Ahmedabad. "The questioning was aggressive, and it seemed to be aimed at demeaning me as far as possible so as to weaken the case. I was asked everything in Gujarati and told to answer in Gujarati even though I had asked for an interpreter," she had said back then.

At an even greater disadvantage are those women who don't come from the English-speaking world and, therefore, do not dare move an inch without help from their foreign offices. India doesn't have an enviable reputation for dispensing quick justice; and tourists with their tight itineraries don't want to go through the rigmarole of procedure, never-ending investigations and sanity-defying questions that promise very little comfort.

According to statistics shared by the market research division of the ministry of tourism, 6.65 million tourists came to India last year. Of them, roughly 40% (2.66 million) were women. This figure is likely to go up with India setting a target of increasing its share of arrivals from the current 0.6% to 1% by the end of the 12th plan. This simply means more and more women will come to India, either for work or pleasure, and quite likely, carry home sordid tales of harassment: tales that would eventually find vent in blogs and websites and dent the India story.

Additional DCP Suman Nalwa, who heads Delhi Police's special unit for women and children, said foreigners in need of help are usually tended to. But what about those who cannot speak English? "They have to take help from their embassies. But some of our police districts have moved a proposal to hire interpreters from the School of Languages in JNU to help us cross the language barrier, which is a major constraint. I hope that we will be able to tend to foreigners better once we have the interpreters," she said.

The country earned Rs 94,487 crore from tourism alone last year—a 21.8% growth as compared to the earnings in 2011. But this achievement has been belittled by the findings of an HSBC expat survey that puts India at the bottom of the ladder among 30 countries in terms of overall experience of foreigners.

Yvonne Anwar (name changed), a Frenchwoman of Algerian descent working in an MNC in Gurgaon, said she feels uncomfortable going out at night, or in crowded places. "Being a woman, and that too a foreigner, is difficult in India, isn't it?"

India no place for foreign women? - The Times of India

Harassment isn't a joke, while in India it may not be taken so seriously in the civilized world it is.

The fact that the OP laughs at a Woman being publicly molested shows the entrenched Indian mindset towards females. And i thought East St. Louis Missouri was a bad place for women.
you actually think OP is indian? facepalm

regardless of who posted the article, the fact remains that women safety is a serious issue in india.

Harassment isn't a joke, while in India it may not be taken so seriously in the civilized world it is.

Do you understand Hindi? If you please watch the video carefully at 8:09 and see how a foreign woman calls Asaram her lover and her boyfriend as her son. Asaram gloats hearing that from her mouth in front of a huge gathering.

Now you may understand why I joked.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that the OP laughs at a Woman being publicly molested shows the entrenched Indian mindset towards females. And i thought East St. Louis Missouri was a bad place for women.

I was thinking the same thing. This women was groped and humiliated and Indians laugh at her story. You're right that just sums up the Indian mindset. The worst thing is all Indians will defend him.

Why can't just give them some punishment?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing. This women was groped and humiliated and Indians laugh at her story. You're right that just sums up the Indian mindset. The worst thing is all Indians will defend him.
nobody is defending criminals who shame our society. that's like saying mainlanders who stab school children represent the epitome of chinese mindset

Back
Top Bottom