What's new

India no place for foreign women

How safe is India for foreigners?

NEW DELHI: While Mumbai and Delhi seem to have discovered an unhealthy rivalry for the tag of "unsafe city" for women in India, how safe is India for women tourists even as she takes pride in welcoming outsiders with the Sanskrit sloka, "Atithi devo bhavah"?

On New Year's at Fort Kochi, a number of foreign tourists were heckled, abused and a 16-year-old Swedish girl molested by an unruly bunch of revelers. Another German scholar wasn't so lucky when Bitihotra Mohanty, the son of a top Orissa police officer, raped her in Alwar, Rajasthan, in May 2005, a crime for which he was convicted. He subsequently jumped parole and is still at large.

In fact, Rajasthan, which gets over 5 lakh foreign tourists a year, has consistently been in the news for attacks on tourists. In 2005, another German woman was raped in Jodhpur for which an autorickshaw driver and his friend were sentenced for life.

A schoolteacher in Jhunjhunu was given two years for molesting another German woman in March 2006. While the culprits in these cases have got their due, there was yet another case of alleged rape of two Australian girls in Jaipur who, after reporting the assault to the cops but traumatised by the experience, left for home and never answered court summons.

It's easily worse in Agra, where foreign tourists reported a dozen cases of rape, harassment, theft, and cheating while visiting the city in 2007 alone. The most shocking was the alleged gangrape of two Japanese girls on September 19 last year. They were so shocked that they did not even lodge a complaint in Agra, which was registered in New Delhi with assistance from Japanese embassy officials.

Then, acid was thrown on a Russian girl when she was returning with her friend after dinner at a hotel on Mall Road, on November 28. Varanasi, another "must" on the rubberneck circuit, too has reported violence of such sort: Diana Clare Routley from New Zealand was raped and murdered by a fake guide Dharmadeo in 1998. Her body was found after several days of search in Ghazipur district and the fraudster was arrested and later convicted.

Not surprisingly, the Australian high commission in Delhi stresses on the following advice to their women tourists: "Women travelers, especially when traveling alone, often get unwanted attention and have been sexually harassed and assaulted. Women should avoid walking at night in deserted areas including city streets, village lanes and beaches There have even been instances of single women being intimidated and harassed by houseboat personnel and their movements severely restricted."

Such an advice could also be extended to Indian women traveling within the country: Ask starlet Tanushreee Datta's whose New Year celebration in Bangalore was ruined when she slapped a man who heckled her, and which led to more catcalls and hoots against her.

How safe is India for foreigners? - Times Of India

December 31, 2012:

The brutal sexual assault and murder of the 23-year-old paramedical student has anguished and angered India in many ways, jolting our collective consciousness to stop brushing under the carpet the harsh and brutal reality of how 21st century India treats its women.

She held out a mirror to show us the ugly side of our face, and her 13-day valiant fight was symbolic of the Indian woman’s indomitable spirit against all odds. Her trauma has triggered an unprecedented demand for a safe environment for women.

But at the other end of the spectrum, the seething anger expressed on Delhi’s streets by the young, articulate women, accompanied by men, has darkened India’s image in the world.

The world media has picked up and debated this story threadbare. Editorials and analyses in The New York Times, commentaries and in-depth features in The Guardian, have discussed how India treats not only its own women, but also female tourists.

In response to my earlier column “Rape is about power, not lust”, Michelle Young, a writer from New York, wrote to appreciate the “powerful and simultaneously gut-wrenching commentary”, but went on to add how this tragic event and “the spate of articles on other horrific abuse of women and girls throughout India has given me some unexpected fears.”

She’d been saving money to visit India in 2013, but now wondered “how safe I’ll be.

To hear some speak, you’d think I would have no issues. That’s not what I’m hearing in these articles.

I tend to believe the articles and what I’m hearing in them and sense I’ll need someone travelling with me when I come over.”

Of course, I assured her she must come, but should take some precautions, as she would in most parts of the world.
WORSE THAN IRAN, AFGHANISTAN?

Now, reading a series of articles in the western media, and scanning readers’ comments, one shudders to think of the colossal damage a section of India’s twisted and misogynist males have inflicted on the image of their motherland. Worse, people are now questioning their governments for being “soft” towards India in the “international PR stakes”, despite its horrific record on abusing its women.

In one article in The Guardian titled “Delhi bus gang rape: ‘What is going wrong with our society?’”, comments from the readers were scathing about not only how unsafe India is for women travellers, but also on why the West was not as harsh on India, as it was on Iran or Afghanistan, for its abysmal record on women’s rights.

A reader calling herself KrustytheKlown had a very perceptive comment. “India seems to be a horrible place to be a woman. Infanticide and neglect of baby girls is extremely high, and ‘dowry killings’, as well as appalling incidents like the one described above seem to happen with great regularity. And yet, India gets off pretty lightly in the international PR stakes. If India were a Muslim-majority country with a government hostile to the West, Hillary Clinton would have called for an invasion to ‘save the women of India’ long ago.”

Responding to a sanctimonious comment from an Indian, male of course, she explained that she wasn’t advocating any “invasion” on India, and added: “I think one of the reasons India gets off lightly is that a) it’s not Muslim, b) its governments are mostly Western friendly and c) many people in Western countries harbour a fondness for Indian culture — or a sanitised, romanticised version thereof. I blame The Beatles, personally.”

I would have smiled at the last sentence, had her comment not made me hang down my head in shame. While one woman said India was ‘famous’ among backpackers for being an unsafe place for single women, “only place worse is Egypt!”, another, calling herself Zedhed said that, as a frequent Western traveller to India, she found the harassment and violence “I’m subjected to there has increased significantly in the last ten years, to the point where I was nearly gang raped in a small village in Haryana last year (while searching for a toilet).”

Her boyfriend was waiting in an adjacent street and she was so petrified that she has “decided not to go back… I dread to think what Indian women’s experience is.” And all this despite dressing “modestly” while in India, she adds.

MEDIEVAL ATTITUDE

Many other women confessed to being “groped and grabbed” while in India. What is most disturbing is that women said, 10-12 years ago, it wasn’t so bad, and the north apparently, is much worse than the south.

One said that over 10 years back, on her first visit to India at 18, all she had to face were marriage proposals, but over the years she’s found “sexual aggression much more pronounced”.

The rape of a Norwegian woman in Himachal Pradesh, about 18 months ago, was recalled and the “friendly hotel owner” responded to a query with “Yes, this happens everywhere”, with “a shrug and a level of casual indifference”.

A comment, with an apology, went thus: “I’m sorry to say this, but Indian men have an appalling reputation in the rest of Asia.”

With molestations and rapes continuing with impunity, we will have to face more India-bashing before we can once again lift our heads. - Indian Affairs

If you are travelling to india on assignment you have lesser choice than travelling on leisure
that woman was harassed in broad daylight in post no 14. you blame the woman for visiting india?and also the japanese woman‘s experience in the OP’s article!
You shoot the victims rather than the perpetrators and the poor governance of the country?
You have lost your mind!

If you play with a rat and the rat bites you, do you blame yourself or the rat? Why blame something you can't change?

If you play with a rat and the rat bites you, do you blame yourself or the rat? Why blame something you can't change?

you should slam the housekeeper for painting a rats den as a 5 star hotel!

if my video post has been deleted by mods then i request every post with Khujraho Temple frescoes should also be deleted.

if my video post has been deleted by mods then i request every post with Khujraho Temple frescoes should also be deleted.
Seems like MODs get off on Rape news in India. I have PM them about this issue but they don't reply neither take any action.

Look at threads, all pathetic comments are there, not deleted but you open a thread about rape in Pakistan you get ban, infractions and thread gets closed.

Seems like MODs get off on Rape news in India. I have PM them about this issue but they don't reply neither take any action.

Look at threads, all pathetic comments are there, not deleted but you open a thread about rape in Pakistan you get ban, infractions and thread gets closed.

ThinkTank, this thread is not about rape.

I guess Mods understand what is written in English as the title.

We are still illeterate bunch of crowded people, who does not respect people...We have miles to go for being considered as a human being...We are still in mindset of an animal...Way to go...

..are you talking about yourself and your father / mother ? .....In which case I can provide you with shelter in my stable with my cows.

Back
Top Bottom