What's new

India must respect Vienna convention on Italy envoy's immunity says EU

Mukul Rohatgi appearing for Mr. Mancini and Republic of Italy pressed on the issue of immunity

Mr. Rohatgi’s submission was taken exception to by the bench which said, “We don’t go by anything. He has given the undertaking. We are not so naive. We don’t accept his statement. We don’t believe his statement. He has lost (our) trust.”

The court said, “The person who has come to this court as petitioner, we don’t think he has any immunity.”

“He has no immunity. What do you think of our judicial system

The order barring the Italian envoy from leaving the country was extended to April 2, when the case will again come up for hearing in Supreme Court:raise:

We have special corner reserved for pakistani nationals in our heart.

But she was not raped like swiss women either , get the drift.

What happened to Swiss lady was very unfortunate and animalistic act and you should condemn it instead of giving examples and take good care of your family as well. :astagh:

They are selling a lot to the Gulf countries. I never liked the plane and am glad we wont be getting it.
Would you care to elaborate or should I take your words over the decision making body of your country.This is new development ,link I provided is only 4 days old and it clearly states that CANADA is interested in Rafael.

In all fairness, India cannot enforce its local law against that of the Geneva Convention with terms of diplomatic immunity which includes free from detention and arrest, however this also raises two points:

Why did the envoy enter himself into a domestic judicial set up in the first place and secondly what kind of guarantee did he give, financial, or just his word.

This then raises the question for the Indian court as to why it accepted the word of an envoy and should have foreseen what action if any it could take if the men fail to return. This should have been disused by the bench well before granting bail.

I think at the moment India and Italy are in agreement to ask the envoy to stay put for now to avoid the embarrassment to the Indian government, or further embarassment from opposition leaders. Whilst this matter blows over and is finalised.

Italy knows full well, as does India that Italy on the international level will win legally as India has no and cannot enforce any jurisdiction of its own laws in International waters. Compensation or "blood money" has been paid and accepted by the families as well which should not have been done so early if India had the moral high ground rule to play out in its courts

On one hand you say the EU depends on Indian money and then you call yourself a third world nation. ....

We have been categorized as a 3rd world nation, as we were one of the victims of imperialism.

What happened to Swiss lady was very unfortunate and animalistic act and you should condemn it instead of giving examples and take good care of your family as well. :astagh:
We condemn that act but reality is reality you can't pretend we have animals in my country and we successfully defended that pakistani girl at least from them .Don' worry about my family members they are not pakistani or swiss .

Just a layman's suggestion - lets put the rafale at stake and then let's see what the french have to say about India's italian problem.

A layman's suggestion, France is Italy's second largest trading partner. They conducted trade worth of 66 billion Euros in 2010, that far outweighs whatever the Rafale sale is worth.

Economic relations - France-Diplomatie

You are way overestimating your power here my friend, your not as big you might think you are. I for one would support full punishment against the Marines and the Ambassador, but living in a utopian land is far foolish and this is exactly what you are doing. Whether the Indians like it or not, the Ambassador and the Marines unfortunately will go scot free because the EU is far far bigger than India in terms of diplomatic, economic and political clout.

In all fairness, India cannot enforce its local law against that of the Geneva Convention with terms of diplomatic immunity which includes free from detention and arrest, however this also raises two points:

Why did the envoy enter himself into a domestic judicial set up in the first place and secondly what kind of guarantee did he give, financial, or just his word.

This then raises the question for the Indian court as to why it accepted the word of an envoy and should have foreseen what action if any it could take if the men fail to return. This should have been disused by the bench well before granting bail.

I think at the moment India and Italy are in agreement to ask the envoy to stay put for now to avoid the embarrassment to the Indian government, or further embarassment from opposition leaders. Whilst this matter blows over and is finalised.

Italy knows full well, as does India that Italy on the international level will win legally as India has no and cannot enforce any jurisdiction of its own laws in International waters. Compensation or "blood money" has been paid and accepted by the families as well which should not have been done so early if India had the moral high ground rule to play out in its courts

Well My Friend Just Read it ...... !!

Supreme Court bars Italian envoy from leaving India - The Hindu

. Whether the Indians like it or not, the Ambassador and the Marines unfortunately will go scot free because the EU is far far bigger than India in terms of diplomatic, economic and political clout.
Indeed they will but not because of the reasons you mentioned above but Vienna convention.

. Whether the Indians like it or not, the Ambassador and the Marines unfortunately will go scot free because the EU is far far bigger than India in terms of diplomatic, economic and political clout.
Indeed they will but not because of the reasons you mentioned above but Vienna convention.

A layman's suggestion, France is Italy's second largest trading partner. They conducted trade worth of 66 billion Euros in 2010, that far outweighs whatever the Rafale sale is worth.

You are way overestimating your power here my friend, your not as big you might think you are. I for one would support full punishment against the Marines and the Ambassador, but living in a utopian land is far foolish and this is exactly what you are doing. Whether the Indians like it or not, the Ambassador and the Marines unfortunately will go scot free because the EU is far far bigger than India in terms of diplomatic, economic and political clout.

Rough estimates peg the Rafael deal at about USD 20 billion - which translates into Euro 15-16 billion. For one, that figure is pretty big for a country that is facing steep economic challenges.

Secondly, trade ties are formed over years of engagement and collaboration and tend to become crucial for the local economy to grow and develop. Suspension of trade ties is as likely to hurt one as the other. So even if france were to support india, Italy - given that it is already on its knees - would not be able to afford calls on trade with france based on jingoistic compulsions.

On the contrary, India is not so intricately linked with france. And there is no paucity of options for a multi-role fighter contract.

France would have little to loose (by way of an Italian reaction) if it supports India, but could risk losing billions if it supports Italy.

This, of course, is all in a hypothetical scenario that India does put the rafale on the line.

It is a lost cause for India.
no it ain't over yet mate:disagree:!they killed two of our compatriots and we want justice for this barbaric murder.so its either the two killers or the Italian ambassador to India!its up to Italy to decide whom it hold more dear,the ambassador or the two marines!and we don't give a s**t to what EU or the Vienna convention says about this kind of matters!personally i don't think EU has the courage to do anything against a $2 trillions economy as India is an important trading partner with the EU and they don't have enough military might to challenge India.Period:coffee:!

Does vienna convension allows ambassador to give a false promise to a court and then say no u cant do a sh!t.... I have immunity?????? I doubt what would be the action if the tables were turned????????

Italy is ready to be bankrupt ..

Back
Top Bottom