What's new

India : Muslim family forced to leave theatre for not standing during national anthem

I didn't get you answer regarding Benedict Papa Anthem the other day, I wonder if you can't help me find the new updated version of it.
oh am sorry son... you didn't answered any of my questions before... You know am not into religious stuff.. like some retards here.

oh am sorry son... you didn't answered any of my questions before... You know am not into religious stuff.. like some retards here.

How come it's a religious debate? It's an issue of insult to OUR national anthem by a community who loves to play secular and victim card whenever questioned about their dubious activities. Easy with the personal remarks, if you can't quote me without getting personal I would suggest stop quoting me in future.

If they are Indians then they are suppose to respect their National anthem. If they had no excuse for not standing up then they are very much liable to be booked under law. Having said so they shouldnt have branded them as Muslim Indians doing this offence as it would surely gonna create unrest in other parts of India.

LOLz it's the same logic to bring religion every other thread...

Various people have been taken to task in the past for not standing up for the national anthem. Several of them Hindus too and that includes even celebrities. The only reason Pakistanis seem to be whining here is because this incident involves Muslims. News for you Pakistanis: You can't expect us to treat someone as special just because of their religion. If you are so bent on having that privilege, take them with you.

Btw, news here about how Ameesha Patel was pulled up for not standing up for the national anthem: Ameesha Patel and Kushal Tandon's insane Twitter meltdown over national anthem - Firstpost

And here's another about how an NRI got whacked for not standing up for the national anthem:
Puneet Issar's wife whacks NRI for disrespecting national anthem - The Times of India

Real question here is punished by whom? Its job of police and court to decide whether its crime and what punishment should be there for such people..job of common people is to inform police if they see any illegal activity. They have no right to act as moral police

of course they didn't have rights but they had a duty to ensure that every one respect the country and ensure that no one insult the anthem.It was not moral policing the family was ignorant, people try to aware them of national anthem but they keep sitting and continue insulting national anthem so of course crowd will go crazy.Family is in mistake here this was there duty towards country .I think people should stop playing national anthem in movies.We can not judge the crowd,every country even Pakistanis would do the same and this is not a religious matter.So people should stop judging this matter with religion waala chasma

@danger007
this family refused to stand up for this national anthem video.

I know about it. I lived in Pune, I just cracked for bringing religion... I clearly mentioned it in my post.. I said similar incidents happened before.. it is not subjected to religion... I don't like anyone who brings religion caste stuff into every other discussion... may be as you clearly mentioned, you are here to blame Christians Muslims and expose... you might feel am commenting on you... I have lot of things to do in my life.. you work on your mission... But i'm responding to the title Muslim family... that family did stupid thing, so is the bald head guy.... they could have warn him or tell him to stand up in polite manner... but threatening him to beat infront of his wife and family is stupid... clapping when they are leaving is sick... what really they achieved to clap.... nothing.... it's funny to see instant hero's in groups... you might don't like what am saying..

Its funny because most of these people crying about what happened would be ultra-supportive of the "mob" if something happened like this in another country (say a Muslim in China).

99% of them would say it is China's internal affair, respect must be given to China before religion.....heck a huge amount of them go so far to support/be blind toward Chinese suppression of Uighur culture.

At least a few like @jamahir are absolutely consistent on his position no matter the country. And I got to give him major props for that. A worthy adversary on such matters....so him I appreciate from the context unlike the various hypocrites I am seeing here (and other threads).

In 2013 a BSP MP Shafiq-ur-Rehman Burq walked out of the Parliament during the playing of the national song Vande Mataram. He didn't apologize for his action, but said that: "I request that Muslims not be compelled to sing this song since it is against the Sharia.. the song tells people to bow before Bharat Mata," he said.

BSP MP who walked out of Vande Mataram sees no reason to apologise - Firstpost

BSP MP Insults Vande Mataram in Lok Sabha

And now this:

CVH4IGkWIAAWcIt.jpg:large

@danger007
this family refused to stand up for this national anthem video.

So it was a special broadcast of the anthem in tribute to 26/11 bhai?

So this is not a regular feature throughout the year (anthem playing before movie starts) in Mumbai?

Thanks!

In 2013 a BSP MP Shafiq-ur-Rehman Burq walked out of the Parliament during the playing of the national song Vande Mataram. He didn't apologize for his action, but said that: "I request that Muslims not be compelled to sing this song since it is against the Sharia.. the song tells people to bow before Bharat Mata," he said.

A common reponse by their ilk. I am surprised we are putting up with this too.

A common reponse by their ilk. I am surprised we are putting up with this too.

In fact the song Vandemataram was supposed to be the national anthem of India, and rightly so, considering that Vandemataram was the war cry of our freedom fighters, but finally it was not made our national anthem because Muslims objected to it, and rest of India decided to respect their objection.

In fact the song Vandemataram was supposed to be the national anthem of India, and rightly so, considering that Vandemataram was the war cry of our freedom fighters, but finally it was not made our national anthem because Muslims objected to it, and rest of India decided to respect their objection.

Yup have heard this many times from my father.

Still waiting to hear how the mob acted outside the law then. Both coerced verbally to impose a result they deemed necessary....outside of a court of law and outside of the legal process.
The mob in the theater - Physical confrontation, physical and verbal harassment, implicit and explicit threat of physical harm to the family including a small child. None of these factors are present in your NBA analogy. The NBA, as a private sports league with its own sets of rules acted within those rules after months of Rauf not standing for the anthem and engaged in off-line negotiations with the player and his representatives. The NBA did not confront Rauf during his 'passive action' at the basketball court, screamed and yelled in his face, threatened his physical safety and forced him to leave the stadium as was done with this family.

Again - the appropriate analogy to the Rauf/NBA incident would be a situation in which the other patrons quietly voiced their complaints to the management and the management took up the issue with the family at some point when the movie was not playing to understand their side of the story and explain the rules to them and what the consequences of not following the rules in the future would be.
So did this family go to the courts complaining about "harrassment" "disruption of public order" or anything of the sort? They even have what was said on video (some of it)...but they know full well they open themselves up to prosecution if they do.
When did the incident occur? Who is the family? Have they finished discussing the issue internally and with legal representatives to understand the process, costs and requirements of a legal challenge?

What we do know, on the basis of various links posted here by @Raja.Pakistani and @oFFbEAT that quote Indian judicial rulings and legal experts, is that it doesn't appear the family violated any laws or is liable for any punitive actions for allegedly remaining seated during the national anthem:

Not standing up for national anthem not an offence, say legal experts - The Times of India

By law are we required to stand for the national anthem? : FYI, News - India Today

Mumbai family forced out of cinema for not standing up for National Anthem | TwoCircles.net
When he clearly publicly declared the US flag and anthem representing a "tyranical" country and therefore one he would not honour...he got a one game suspension (already punitive punishment he could have taken to court) and then came to an agreement that he would "stand".....what he did while standing was up to him. What do you think was said to him to get him to behave that way...judging from the before or after? Of course it was a threat of some sort, veiled or direct.
As long as whatever was 'said to him' was done as part of proper/official negotiations between the player, his legal/league representatives and the NBA, and not part of some court-side mob yelling, screaming and threatening him.
Doubt that. They will also open themselves up for prosecution...and judging from lack of video of what happened before....we have only the witnesses in the rest of the cinema to go by as to how it all started (the actual instigation). I think anyone can see how that will turn out. They will bring down maybe some of the mob, but they will definitely suffer the brunt of the damage in any legal case.
The links I posted above referencing Indian judicial rulings and quotes from Indian legal experts don't support the allegation that the family did anything illegal, and the certainty with which the mob, you and many Indians on this thread were cheering the mob's harassment and threatening behavior towards the family only further validates my argument that, barring a tangible negative impact as a result of the violation of a law (arson, theft, violence etc), the alleged violation is best left to the proper authorities to handle.

The rest of your post is largely irrelevant at this point because the judicial rulings and legal views quoted earlier don't support the claim of the passive act of 'not standing during the national anthem' constituting a violation of the respective laws. Assuming the courts don't change their existing interpretation of the law, the family has grounds for a very strong civil case against the theater management for not ensuring public order and the security and safety of the family and allowing them to be subjected to emotional distress, at no legal risk to themselves under the 'respect to national anthem statutes'.

Last edited:
The national anthem video that was played in that movie hall in Mumbai was a tribute to the 26/11 terrorist attack victims and the heroes who sacrificed their lives for the nation. And a recitation by Farhan Akhtar in the beginning of the video urged the audience to stand up and pay respect. It was a tribute to the unsung heroes of 26/11/2008. Here is the details and the complete video:

My personal take on the debates in the media, social media, etc. on the 'legal aspects' of showing or not showing respect to the national anthem, or personal choice and freedom of not showing respect, the 'need' for respecting the national anthem, and so on........; There is a limit to bending over backwards in the name of liberalism and secularism.

Published on Nov 25, 2015
Seven years to this tragic event. It’s a shame that every single person out there recognize the name of that one terrorist , but little do they know about our national heroes who stood in the front line and took the bullets to their chest. They put down their lives to save us, to protect us and what do we do? We wipe out their memories from our mind and get on with our lives.
Offer Your Tribute at http://www.FadooTV.com

Who were these heroes? Anyone? –26/11 was tragic yes, but isn’t this moment even more disheartening.

Presenting a national anthem, a tribute to the heroes of 26/11/2008.

Let their supreme sacrifice of these national heroes be never forgotten.

To know more:
Visit :India's First Web TV | Fadoo TV
Fadoo TV
Fadoo TV (@FadooTV) | Twitter

Concept and Direction- Raj Konar

This wouldn’t have been possible without
Krishna Prakash (IPS)
Salim & Sulaiman
Late Shri. Sunil H. Nesarikar (Chief fire officer)
Tejash Shah (Accord Equips)
D. Sivanandan

Musician and Singer
Salim Merchant
Sulaiman Merchant
Sonu Nigam
Sunidhi Chauhan
Shreya Ghoshal
Shaan
Kailash Kher

Director of Photography
Siddharth S Mitragotri