What's new

India : Muslim family forced to leave theatre for not standing during national anthem

It is not "my" duty (as a foreigner) to respect "your" national anthem, specially in a cinema hall. Understand? It is my decision to make, not yours.

I would like to see you attempt to impose your nationalism on an armed individual at some point. Easy to bully an unarmed individual, right? Don't impose your nationalism on others, period.

Not asking you to respect it in your country, you can't decide what another country's rules are.

What are the particulars of that 'similar case'? I'd like a link to review specifics if possible to determine actual similarities.

The language of 124A doesn't support your argument, and while lower courts might be susceptible to rule erroneously under political and public pressure, charging the family for sedition by virtue of committing the act of 'not standing' is going to get laughed out of most higher courts when appealed.

There was a boy who refused to stand for National Anthem when asked for in a theater- He was charged with 124A- he had also made some derogatory comment on social media-

The "crime greater than murder" comment was made by Judge during his bail hearing- where he was refused bail and is probably locked up even now-

National Anthem, Emblem, Flag are all symbols of the Govt- elected by Law hence sedation applies in such cases- recently a youth leader from Gujrat was arrested for unintentionally disrespecting the flag-

So yes arrest could've been made and with some digging- I am sure Mumbai police would've have been able to frame more charges against them- They are very good at that- 5-6 years of court case and letting the whole country know their identity would have been enough for them loosing the jobs in family or loss in business-

They could go to the Higher court only after the ruling in lower court and that alone would've served the purpose-

Yea it definitely look odd place to remember or to do mourning for victim of 26/11 before watching vulgar mujre and dance masti.

My name has nothing to do with bollywood and i have been explained it dozen time. I had this nick Raja before even Amir khan acted in Movie Raja.Hindustani. Janjuas in pakistan either use janjua or raja as a nickname so thats how Raja. Pakistani . I personally dont bother using it with my real name but when i have to hide my name then i use this nickname

Since It was a family with their women I suppose they were there were not there to watch ****/semi-****/vulgar movie-

It is not "my" duty (as a foreigner) to respect "your" national anthem, specially in a cinema hall. Understand? It is my decision to make, not yours.

I would like to see you attempt to impose your nationalism on an armed individual at some point. Easy to bully an unarmed individual, right? Don't impose your nationalism on others, period.

Did someone ask you to respect ?- I wonder which theater in Pakistan plays Indian National Anthem-

Anyway I would defiantly respect your National Anthem not because I want you to respect mine but because I think Its my duty and righteous to do so-

That family did not break any law.

Sitting during the National Anthem is not a legal offence.

Although, according to the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act 1971, anyone who intentionally prevents the singing of the Indian National Anthem or causes disturbances to any assembly engaged in such singing shall be punished with imprisonment for a term, which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

So, you cannot disturb the people who are willingly paying respect to the Anthem, but can choose to peacefully withdraw.

Actually it was the thugs that broke the law by causing the commotion thereby intentionally disrupting the anthem being played !!!!!

What happened was fascism in display under modi rule !!!!

Not standing up for national anthem not an offence, say legal experts - The Times of India

Last edited:
There was a boy who refused to stand for National Anthem when asked for in a theater- He was charged with 124A- he had also made some derogatory comment on social media-

The "crime greater than murder" comment was made by Judge during his bail hearing- where he was refused bail and is probably locked up even now-
Any link to the case, especially the full decision and current status? Standing of the court you're referring to relative to the court with the ruling that 'sitting during the national anthem is not illegal'?
National Anthem, Emblem, Flag are all symbols of the Govt- elected by Law hence sedation applies in such cases- recently a youth leader from Gujrat was arrested for unintentionally disrespecting the flag-
That's your perspective - it's the decision by the highest ranking court on the issue that determines which interpretation is correct. This is why the specifics on the court decision you are referring to and the relative 'rank' of the court relative to the one I referenced is necessary.
So yes arrest could've been made and with some digging- I am sure Mumbai police would've have been able to frame more charges against them- They are very good at that- 5-6 years of court case and letting the whole country know their identity would have been enough for them loosing the jobs in family or loss in business-
Arrests would be temporary unless the court decision you referred to superseded or overturned the decision by the court I referenced, or if both were made in State Courts that essentially work out to be parallel rulings. Precedence in judicial rulings is an important concept and usually is not overturned by lower courts without good cause.

Any financial losses should be recouped from the theater owners and local government that chose to place their physical well-being in danger and placed frivolous charges against them, once the decision gets to the higher courts, and any good lawyer would make this a high profile case with lots of publicity that'll ensure financial and other donations to support the family during such a time of trial and victimization.

Last edited:
Any link to the case, especially the full decision and current status? Standing of the court you're referring to relative to the court with the ruling that 'sitting during the national anthem is not illegal'?

Kerala court denies bail to youth who didn’t stand up during national anthem | The Indian Express

That's your perspective - it's the decision by the highest ranking court on the issue that determines which interpretation is correct. This is why the specifics on the court decision you are referring to and the relative 'rank' of the court relative to the one I referenced is necessary.

Not necessary the interpenetration of the case may or may not have anything to do with any similar case- Depends on how good an argument is made- If one can pay millions to the best Lawyers in Higher courts they have a good chance-

Arrests would be temporary unless the court decision you referred to superseded or overturned the decision by the court I referenced, or if both were made in State Courts that essentially work out to be parallel rulings. Precedence in judicial rulings is an important concept and usually is not overturned by lower courts without good cause.

Again not necessary-

Any financial losses should be recouped from the theater owners and local government that chose to place their physical well-being in danger and placed frivolous charges against them, once the decision gets to the higher courts, and any good lawyer would make this a high profile case with lots of publicity that'll ensure financial and other donations to support the family during such a time of trial and victimization.

Well I would wish any such endeavor my best wishes specially with the Higher court and their lawyers- Financial penalties are a joke here- and would not even cover one hearing charge of the High court or supreme court Lawyer-

About Donation- No one would dare endorsing such people- they simply have no face value especially after disrespecting National symbols- not even in their community- and They could've said good bye to Mumbai forever with their family-

Let me make it easy for you....A foreigner coming to your country burns/spit on your national flag...what will be your reaction?? Given he is a foreigner and thus has no affiliation with your country do you think his actions should be simply ignored?? Now based on your answer please tell me how national anthem is any different from National Flag??

That family did not break any law.

Sitting during the National Anthem is not a legal offence.

Although, according to the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act 1971, anyone who intentionally prevents the singing of the Indian National Anthem or causes disturbances to any assembly engaged in such singing shall be punished with imprisonment for a term, which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

So, you cannot disturb the people who are willingly paying respect to the Anthem, but can choose to peacefully withdraw.

Actually it was the thugs that broke the law by causing the commotion thereby intentionally disrupting the anthem being played !!!!!

What happened was fascism in display under modi rule !!!!

Not standing up for national anthem not an offence, say legal experts - The Times of India

The audience didn't break any law either..... why are bangis and pakis getting irked with a small incident that happened in India ??

Let me make it easy for you....A foreigner coming to your country burns/spit on your national flag...what will be your reaction?? Given he is a foreigner and thus has no affiliation with your country do you think his actions should be simply ignored?? Now based on your answer please tell me how national anthem is any different from National Flag??
Your analogy is not valid.

Your analogy is not valid.
Well if you think so then that is your perspective...all i am saying is National Flags and Anthems etc warrants respect. There is no difference as such...anyhow this debate has gone longer than what it deserve...so let's call it a day...cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom