What's new

India moving 150 T-72s tanks and Smerch rockets to Ladakh.

Is there no rail road transportation?
They can be in serious trouble if they don't have Railway there because our railways with tranportation also affected our forces movement

Maybe they will use the Kashmir highway (NH-1D), longer but much safer option. I guess it will be a combo of airlift and road transport. But Rohtang route, I dont think so

Can you put some light onto the fact why army is deploying T72s but not T90s???

Can you put some light onto the fact why army is deploying T72s but not T90s???
They need much greater clearance. Plus the spare parts are more readily available for T72s. This is important because these parts are made in India itself. So the supply is abundant.

Also the tanks are not generic T72s but upgraded ones. Comparing these with the Syrian ones is naive.

Another interesting point to note is that it says only a brigade is moving. But the tanks are 150. In comparison a single Tank division has a compliment of about 160 - 180 AVs. Another point to note is that though Ladakh is Tank country, the areas around it are not. So the unit moved there will NOT be used for any offensive operation. The only use it will have will be if the Eastern defences are broken and enemy moves into the open Ladakh valley. In such a scenario a smaller force to counterattack (as opposed to a division sized brigade) would have sufficed.

Plus the logistical strain on the Northern Command will be very very high for supplying the 'brigade'. Especially when we have only two roads going there.

Something tells me this is misinformation. :devil:

Last edited:
A lot of t72s destroyed in Syria by the rebels, can anyone guess by which weapon? the Chinese hj8

Dont bring syria or other arab countries into the frame. Russians sold them the lowest quality stuff. Even their doctrain of warfare is obsolate. Whether its six day war, yomkkipur war, or dessert storm arab countries shown their poor armoured warfare skills.
Indian T72s are better protected than their syrian counter parts with improved armour and ERA.
Not to forget the fact that, most syrian losses agains Rebels came in urban environment where most of tanks becomes sitting ducks to ATGMs.

They need much greater clearance. Plus the spare parts are more readily available for T72s. This is important because these parts are made in India itself. So the supply is abundant.

Also the tanks are not generic T72s but upgraded ones. Comparing these with the Syrian ones is naive.
Syrian Tanks were quite upgraded and China is now coming up with Anti Tank similar to USA

true, but the model is still the same. If you watch videos on youtube for example you will see how the tank gets completely destroyed. But in Syria the army is not professional, they just send a dozens of tanks expecting a victory. But in todays warfare tanks are extremely vulnerable, this isn't ww2 anymore where soldiers would run after seeing a tank. Today a tank needs heavy infantry support

Dont bring syria or other arab countries into the frame. Russians sold them the lowest quality stuff. Even their doctrain of warfare is obsolate. Whether its six day war, yomkkipur war, or dessert storm arab countries shown their poor armoured warfare skills.
Indian T72s are better protected than their syrian counter parts with improved armour and ERA.
Not to forget the fact that, most syrian losses agains Rebels came in urban environment where most of tanks becomes sitting ducks to ATGMs.
What you say is true, but it not like the Indian version is completely different. China today has some very dangerous AT missiles. Poorly trained rebels in Syria got a lot of success with the hj8 for example. A trained army will be much more dangerous

true, but the model is still the same. If you watch videos on youtube for example you will see how the tank gets completely destroyed. But in Syria the army is not professional, they just send a dozens of tanks expecting a victory. But in todays warfare tanks are extremely vulnerable, this isn't ww2 anymore where soldiers would run after seeing a tank. Today a tank needs heavy infantry support

What you say is true, but it not like the Indian version is completely different. China today has some very dangerous AT missiles. Poorly trained rebels in Syria got a lot of success with the hj8 for example. A trained army will be much more dangerous
That was true even in the Zweite Weltkreig. :) A hollow charge means death to a tank. Without infantry support, tanks are exposed.

I don't know but this forward deployment sounds a bit fantastic.

O really if they hadn't publicized it do you think China wouldn't know than
And can you say with a 100 percent surety that they would have come to know about it? My point was to be as cautious as one can be to try and keep such sensitive info away from public domain. O yeah, really!

Syrian Tanks were quite upgraded and China is now coming up with Anti Tank similar to USA

India too has ordered Javellin. The top notch. Moreover Indian armour will be having the luxury of operating under air cover, infantry and artillary support. Still I wouldhave like it more if IA decided to deploy t90s insteed on T72. After all those T72s are a generation behind.

Syrian war is an urban conflict. Tanks not supported by infantry or air are sitting ducks for ATGM's in urban warfare. Will be unfair to try and compare these 2 scenarios.

And can one tell what weapons fighter jets and Tanks and other stuff China has placed there
They have placed a recently invented "Zarvan", guided anti tank human-bomb. T-72's dont stand a chance against it

Last edited:

I completely agree with you sir.
Although upgraded T72 is not as well protected against ATGMs compared to its other modern counterparts. In case of their deployment in Ladakh, they will certainly have infantry support, artilary and airsupport coupled with better trainning than that of any arab armies. Terrain too will make a difference. It will be tough for a ATGM team to sneak in and destroy Indian tanks. I will be more worried about PLAAF & PLA attack helis and aircrafts.

Last edited:
And can you say with a 100 percent surety that they would have come to know about it? My point was to be as cautious as one can be to try and keep such sensitive info away from public domain. O yeah, really!
Yes such large movement will never go undetected and the moment you place it they will know it

But limitations of both weapons is that they carry 300 Kg and 150 Kg Payload only. Actually we need prithvi to attack these sides with 1000 KG warhead. I recommend Brahmos for precision strike just that side of Mountain.

Block 3 of Brahmose was designed specially for that. And IA already inducted them.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom