What's new

India: Meet the 'Internet Hindus'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spice is not a taboo but it it smells really bad. One time I was in a car with a sikh person and the smell of spice was so strong that I wanted to puke.

By your logic it is okay for people to discriminate against Indians bc they use spice and people don't like the smell of it.

Is that what it is? Spice?

Sure doesn't seem that way.

I thought Spice was supposed to smell good.

Introspection is always welcome. However, nationalist right wingers exist everywhere and are increasingly vocal on polarizing debates. Skim through any international news site comments section on subjects like illegal immigration,minority rights,Islamic fundamentalism etc. and you will see the same. The tactics and the language used would be downright vile. The anonymity offered at hand leads to obnoxious posts from every side. I think the rise of the internet right wingers is fed by the inherent isolation by the mainstream media,whether perceived or real, to what their viewpoint on issues really are.

Either way, they should label them as "Internet Fundoos''. Hinduism or Hindus don't need any rakhwalas to get their point across.

Is that what it is? Spice?

Sure doesn't seem that way.

I thought Spice was supposed to smell good.

Yeah, it's the accumulation of all the various spices that have been cooked.
Indians can't smell it because they are used to it, but for other people it should be declared a WMD :hang2:

Internet Hindus are a product of Hidutva organizations like the much hated RSS which has been churning out these hateful people for nearly a century. No wonder that Internet Hindus are like LOCUST devouring everything in its path.

^^ I am surprised that you guys did not know about internet hindu, you can google and get lots more info. I knew about it at least 2 years back, I guess I should have posted information about this, but I thought everyone already knew:
Meet the Internet Hindus

internethindu.jpg

Meet the Internet Hindus
By: DAIPAYAN HALDER Date: 2010-04-25

Delhi:
A fast-growing tribe of fanatics who tweet, are e-friends of the BJP, or scuppies on a self-awareness drive. They are out to own the web, finds Daipayan Halder

Anonymity is powerful. Ask Ranojoy.

The web designer dropped his surname from his passport to do away with his caste identity, and has taken up a new name for his Twitter account to say what he feels.

And Ranojoy feels strongly about his Hindu-ness, which he loves asserting from behind the veil of Internet anonymity.

He is part of a growing tribe called Internet Hindus, a term coined by journalist Sagarika Ghose after she blocked on Twitter those who aggressively and often abusively commented on her "pseudo-secular thoughts".

"The ones I came across are defined by their total hatred for Muslims, Pakistan, so-called pseudosecular journalists and activist women. Narendra Modi is their hero," Ghose said, when asked why she blocked them.

Other journalists and bloggers also described Internet Hindus as "loonies", "online friends of the BJP", "fanatics", "Hindu Taliban" and "gutter snipes".

However, this is what Internet Hindus claim they are achieving, and it is significant, if insidious: They are cornering public opinion online. They argue that the Left-liberal intelligentsia monopolise opinion on television and newspapers, no TV anchor calls people who speak up for Hindus or Hinduism. But the Internet is ours, they say.

Ranojoy, for instance, admits that a lot is not right with his religion, including the caste system. "But it is still the most tolerant of all religions and shouldn't be allowed to be hijacked by fanatics or derided by pseudo-secularists," he says.

In his article 'Don't block the Internet Hindus', journalist Kanchan Gupta wrote that tired of being derided by pseudo-secularists in media "who see nothing wrong with Muslim communalism and Christian fundamentalism but are swift to pounce upon Hindus for being "intolerant, their cultural ethos crudely denigrated by the Left-liberal intelligentsia as antediluvian, Hindus have begun to harness technology to strike back with deadly effect".

Sanjay Kumar teaches Art of Living and is a proud Internet Hindu.
He says you don't have to be a Muslim-basher to assert your Hindu identity.

Gupta also says Internet Hindus are not just supporters of the BJP, even some of those who are critical of the party's policies belong to the tribe. "They are bright, well-educated, not burdened with regional and caste biases, amazingly wellinformed on national issues and world affairs, rooted in Indian culture and are politically alert," he says.

If Arundhati can cheer Maoists...

Sanjay Kaul, member of Delhi BJP's executive council and a self-confessed Internet Hindu, says it is not just about a political party.

"This is about being self-aware, taking pride in something fundamental: your religion. If you can publish Arundhati Roy who supports Maoists, why do you have a problem with us? For too long, the Left-Liberal media has tried to suppress Hindu identity. Internet is changing the game."

Unlike Kaul, Sanjay Kumar is not a BJP office-bearer. He teaches Art of Living and is a proud Internet Hindu, often commenting on blog posts. He says you don't have to be a Muslimbasher to assert your Hindu identity.

"Truth or God cannot be monopolised by anybody. Hinduism teaches you that. Hinduism teaches you to be moderate. There is a need to popularise Hindu philosophy, through Internet more than anything else," he says.

And yes, banning FTV is real silly

Gupta says that Internet Hindus are open to ideas, believe in a plural, lawabiding society and swear by the Constitution. "They are often appalled by the shenanigans of our politicians, including those of the BJP, and are ruthless in decrying politics of identity and cynical votebank policies. They have no gender prejudices and most of them think banning FTV is downright silly in this day and age."

Another Internet Hindu, Vivek Srivastava, joint managing director of an advertising agency in Delhi, says his tribe gets a bad name when a few get abusive or obscurantist. "Some use swear words and deride minorities. They are the ones who fail to take recourse to logic in their arguments.

I have many Muslim friends and we often have healthy debates on Islam. If I blog about them, where is the problem. But yes, abusive language is an absolute no-no."

Refuge under the Invisibility Cloak

That, though, remains a problem area. Many feel the anonymity that Internet provides, gives you the chance to express extreme views. Santosh Kumar Patra, who's doing a doctoral research on Space, Identity and Community in Internetbased communication from JNU, says internet allows de-fragmentation of identity, which can be dangerous.

"You can be a moderate during the day, but at night, in the privacy of your home, with an anonymous online identity, you can give vent to your most extreme sentiments," says Patra.

"It's a fact that many who assert their Hindu identity online do so by pulling down people of other faith, or by using cuss words. That gives the pseudo-secularists a chance to ridicule us. With time, hopefully, saner voices will speak up for Hindus on the Net," says Ranojoy.

Till then, we can all play Farmville.

THE HANDBOOK

How to be a responsible Internet Hindu

>>Steer clear of abusive language while commenting on a blogpost, even if you vehemently disagree with the blogger's point of view. While tolerance is Hinduism's basic tenet, Internet Hindus are known for anything but that.
>>To persuade, use logic, not emotions. That ups your credibility and forces even critics to take you seriously. >>Don't attack a single blogger in hordes. It makes it seem like the whole thing is orchestrated. If someone has already said what you want to say, think of something new to say or restrain yourself.
>>Narendra Modi cannot be the only Hindu hero of modern times. He has turned into a mascot for Internet Hindus. It's okay to highlight his pluses, but leave room for debate on his flaws too.
>>Respect women in general, especially on the net. Many women bloggers have complied against the blatantly sexist remarks made by certain Internet Hindus. With all its deliberations on female Shakti, Hinduism does not teach you to disrespect women.

IDENTITY IN NUMBERS
Facts thrown up by an ongoing online survey, open to all Hindus who use the Internet:

Of those who responded, 88.9% identified themselves as 'Internet Hindus', indicating they attach no shame to the term.
Of these, 4% are aged 20 years and below.
55% are aged 30 and below.
31% are 40 and below, and, only 10%are aged above 40. So, 90%of them are young Indians.
EDUCATIONAL PROFILE OF THE RESPONDENTS

43% are graduates (most of them from topnotch engineering, science and medical colleges)
46% are postgraduates (a large number of them have MBA degrees)
11% have a PhD
17.3% are without jobs and studying
EARNINGS:
Of the 82.7% per cent who are employed, 3.1% earn up to Rs 2 lakh a year 18.4% earn up to Rs 6 lakh a year 34.7% earn up to RS 12 lakh a year 26.5% earn more than Rs 24 lakh a year

Bloggers say:

FASCISTS!
"I was attacked by the Internet Hindus, not only for being pro-Muslim, but for also for being a woman and a Dalit activist. They have called me a prostitute. A fascist mentality prevails among them. I was also attacked for criticising Gandhi for what he did to Ambedkar. There is no logic to what they say, only abuse."
MEENA KANDASAMY, DALIT ACTIVIST, POET, BLOGGER

"I'd rather not generalise. I imagine Sagarika (Ghose) and Kanchan (Gupta) mean different things. But I will share with you one learning as an Internet veteran: in the online world, debate can get much more polarised than in meatspace, and there are far more extreme elements. If their shrill rhetoric disturbs you, there's only one way to react: ignore them. No one listens to them outside their own echo chambers. Sagorika will do well to consider an old Internet saying: Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig enjoys it."
AMIT VERMA, BLOGGER

Internet Hindus take on left-liberal media
The disgusting communal stereotyping notwithstanding, it must be said that Sagarika Ghose's fulminations and Vir Sanghvi's confessions betray a growing disquiet in the Delhi-based leftie media elite, that they are challenged by a generation of Internet-savvy nationalist Center Right Indians who defy the psuedo-Hindutva stereotype. Hence, this new label Internet Hindus. So, thank you Sanghvi and Ghose for labeling us Internet Hindus, we will wear it on our shoulders with pride to remind you of the Center Right movement that shall end the psuedoprogressive monopoly on politics and policy drawing inspiration from Dharma and Constitutionality.

From Sanjay Kaul's blog
SANJAY KAUL'S WEBLOG

Will it be fine if one of us post a pic of prophet Muhammad ?

Internet Hindus are a product of Hidutva organizations like the much hated RSS which has been churning out these hateful people for nearly a century. No wonder that Internet Hindus are like LOCUST devouring everything in its path.

Sadly they could not gain as much popularity as your own Al Qaeda/TTP & LeT.

Will it be fine if one of us post a pic of prophet Muhammad ?

This has got to be the stupidest post of the day.

Hindus have no problems with Idols, you people make them and worship them.
It is not against the Hindu faith to use images of their gods.

Islam however does not allow, and Muslims don't produce the images.

If Muslims made images of the prophet and then got angry when other people did it, then that would be hypocritical would it not?

So a bunch of geniuses discovered there's a far right streak in India's public opinion and are using this extraordinary and unique discovery to splash their upbringing and bash India?

Par for the course for the forum.

Hindus have no problems with Idols, you people make them and worship them.
It is not against the Hindu faith to use images of their gods.

If Muslims made images of the prophet and then got angry when other people did it, then that would be hypocritical would it not?

That was not about posting pic. It was about posting indecent and sentiments-hurting pic.

Keep you intellect to yourself. Such images of prophet can be easily produced and posted. Refrain from posting immature posts.

And yours is the most stinky most disgusting & most hyprocritic post of the Month :angry:

Hindus have no problems with Idols, you people make them and worship them. It is not against the Hindu faith to use images of their gods.

Oh Great... so you think pic posted by Kalu_miah is not a parody or abuse to original hindu God's pic??

Look I am atheist I dont believe any GOD or Allah. However I must point out your hypocrisy here.

Islam does not allow, and Muslims don't produce the images.If Kalu-Miah a muslim can post such pic & you dont have problem of him posting a hindu god's abused pic here.

So that means you should not mind the parody of Your God/Prophet in form of cartoons who by Non-Muslims as producing prophet's pic is forbidden only to muslims & non-muslims are free to do anything about it just like muslim morons use hindu pics as hinduism doesnt binds them to abuse their God but Islam binds them from abusing Allah/Prophet

The feeling is mutual.

And before calling them scum refer to below:

May be they are educated enough to see through the masks and see things for what it is.

there is a term used in Pakistan "Parhey likhey Jahil"

From what I can see from the original article, "Internet Hindu" is a derogatory term coined by the pseudo-secular lobby within our country, and has nothing much to do with either Pakistan or China, who are basically here and elsewhere in cyber-world just dho-ing their haath in bahti Ganga.

This pseudo-secular, predominantly Hindu lobby in India has increasingly been under attack as most right thinking Indians are waking up to the reality of sensationalism, victimisation, TRPs, and the grime of appeasement politics.

This is their feeble way of hitting back?

To those of that viewpoint here, I have just this to say.

This is our country. And we will have it back.

Thank you very much.

From what I can see from the original article, "Internet Hindu" is a derogatory term coined by the pseudo-secular lobby within our country, and has nothing much to do with either Pakistan or China, who are basically here and elsewhere in cyber-world just dho-ing their haath in bahti Ganga.

This pseudo-secular, predominantly Hindu lobby in India has increasingly been under attack as most right thinking Indians are waking up to the reality of sensationalism, victimisation, TRPs, and the grime of appeasement politics.

This is their feeble way of hitting back?

To those of that viewpoint here, I have just this to say.

This is our country. And we will have it back.

Thank you very much.

Naming Extremist Hindus as Internet Hindus is not bad , it again proves by this term that Hindus are intellectual can have discussions or make people think about their philosophy & stand on mordern medias like Internet peacefully.

How ever if we ever think of Extremist muslims we hardly see intellectual what we see are suicide bombers, woman beheaders , talibanis, Al-qaeda, haqqanis, 26/11 & 9/11 attackers.

I think having Internet Religionist is much better than having harmful creatures which threatens to humanity, so wont mind anybody calling indians by this term

My point is, it is way too easy to dub someone an Internet Hindu, when all he is doing is sticking to his guns, and you are losing the argument.

It stereotypes conflict and seeks to polarize communally.

It is a sign of the malady that afflicts us as a nation that is too bashful about accepting its own identity at the altar of being perceived as politically correct by outsiders who do not, should not matter.

Agar Hindu ho, to garv se bolo Hindu hain.

Hinduon ko neecha dikhakar naa to tum desh ka bhala kar rahe ho, na musalmanon ka, na hinduon ka.

I cant believe so many members here fall for congress propoganda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom