What's new

India may face sanctions if it buys Russia's S-400 missiles: US

The Ronin

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
US might not offer waiver to India if it buys S-400 missile system from Russia, Pentagon official says.

ba892771739c49da9d94010731fd2bf9_18.jpg

The US cannot guarantee India will be exempt from sanctions if it purchases weapons and defense systems from Russia, a top Pentagon official said.

Randall Schriver, the Pentagon's top Asia official, called into question on Wednesday the idea that the US will protect its relationship with India and that it will be insulated from any fallout if the purchase happens.

"I would say that is a bit misleading. We would still have very significant concerns if India pursued major new platforms and systems (from Russia)," Schriver said at a think tank event according to Reuters news agency.

The US has imposed sanctions on Russia for its annexation of the Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea, which means any country that engages in defence or intelligence sharing with Russia could also be subject to sanctions.

"I can't sit here and tell you that they would be exempt, that we would use that waiver, that will be the decision of the president if he is faced with a major new platform and capability that India has acquired from Russia," Shriver added.

The waivers would be possible according to a new US defence bill, which gives President Donald Trump the authority to exempt countries.

Despite Secretary of Defense James Mattis saying he is a strong proponent of granting India waivers, Schriver said that just because Trump has the ability to apply these waivers it does not automatically mean he will.

India is in the final stages of acquiring S-400 long-range surface to air missile systems from Russia, a deal worth $6bn.

OPINION
quote.png
Why Turkey might buy Russia's S-400 defence system

by Can Kasapoglu
The agreement is expected to be signed by Russia later this year.

The acquisition of the S-400 system would be the latest in a long series of Indian defence purchases, as the country has previously bought combat planes, ships and submarines from Russia.

Schriver stated that the US is concerned about this planned purchase, and is willing to talk to India about potential alternatives to the Russian missile system.

State of the art missile system
India is not the only country buying the state of the art system from Russia.

Other countries such as China, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar have all bought or are planning to buy the anti-aircraft missile weapon.

US military officials and politicians have also expressed concerns over Turkey's intentionto buy the Russian missile system.

READ MORE
Saudi threatens military action against Qatar over S-400: report
In June, Saudi Arabia said it would consider "all necessary measures" if Qatar closes the deal with Russia.

Despite these threats, Russia has said the supply of the missiles to Qatar will continue, with Qatar's Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani saying acquiring the system is a "sovereign" decision.

The S-400 missile system is a state of the art weapons platform with a maximum range of 400km, considered as one of the best defence systems in existence.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...buys-russia-400-missiles-180830083608701.html

This nonsense will only backfire on the Americans. The S-400 will get a waiver, if it doesn't then India will accept the US sanctions. Then the Americans can sit in the White House scratching their heads, wondering what went wrong. :lol:

As far as India is concerned, Russia is more important to India as a defence supplier.

This nonsense will only backfire on the Americans. The S-400 will get a waiver, if it doesn't then India will accept the US sanctions. Then the Americans can sit in the White House scratching their heads, wondering what went wrong. :lol:

As far as India is concerned, Russia is more important to India as a defence supplier.
India is a superpower. It should nuke USA if it threaten it with sanctions. Simply not acceptable. India should go ahead and buy S-400.

Lols than your Apache will never fly in Indian skies....Best of luck :tup: :lol:

Another blackmailing, first by Russia and Now U.S.A
India gandoun mien phass gyi...

Lols than your Apache will never fly in Indian skies....Best of luck :tup: :lol:

Apache, P-8 etc won't get sanctioned. The sanctions are only for future purchases like the Avenger drones, 4th generation Javelin, FVL etc.

Apache, P-8 etc won't get sanctioned. The sanctions are only for future purchases like the Avenger drones, 4th generation Javelin, FVL etc.

And F-35's.

Don't forget that your most meaningful purchase will be F-35's and that alone will put all of PAF at an extreme disadvantage.

What is to be sanctioned with Avenger and Javelin? and btw we are not even buying javelin? and Avenger is something thats still at very nascent stage.

So whats up with sanctions regarding these two items?

India is a superpower. It should nuke USA if it threaten it with sanctions. Simply not acceptable. India should go ahead and buy S-400.

Thats the reason we are buying a $1 billion NASAM 2 from US. And trust me India will find a way and it will. If Indian planners think they need S 400 then I am sure they will get it, might be delayed but they will. Thats just pure diplomacy and nothing else.

And F-35's.

Don't forget that your most meaningful purchase will be F-35's and that alone will put all of PAF at an extreme disadvantage.

I dont know if that was honest drop of pretense or mere sarcasm, but F 35 is something India was always briefed about with we asking LM but IAF and IN are extremely aware of delay issues for F 35 and will never go for it. Not in another 30 years for sure.

What is to be sanctioned with Avenger and Javelin? and btw we are not even buying javelin? and Avenger is something thats still at very nascent stage.

Thats the reason we are buying a $1 billion NASAM 2 from US. And trust me India will find a way and it will. If Indian planners think they need S 400 then I am sure they will get it, might be delayed but they will. Thats just pure diplomacy and nothing else.

I dont know if that was honest drop of pretense or mere sarcasm, but F 35 is something India was always briefed about with we asking LM but IAF and IN are extremely aware of delay issues for F 35 and will never go for it. Not in another 30 years for sure.
Let's see..

When I am sarcastic, you will recognize it.

But if I was in Indian shoes, with authority, I would go for F-35's in the nearest future possible. This would not only neutralize PAF but also gain some sort of parity with PLAAF.

When I am sarcastic, you will recognize it.

But if I was in Indian shoes, with authority, I would go for F-35's in the nearest future possible. This would not only neutralize PAF but also gain some sort of parity with PLAAF.

Thats very unIndian you know :).
Just because I will have some parity or advantage I should not go for a system. I would rather wait until I totally exhaust everything at disposal and then think about it at last. It simply doesnt fit the ROI bill. F 35 is undoubtedly a very potent system and something to fall for. But IAF or even IN are not willing to go for it.

There are other political reasons as well apart from other reasons but thats out of scope.

Wishful thinking, anyways better luck...

Nothing wishful about it, this is confirmed news. The sanctions are for future purchases, not for past purchases. That's why we will have no problems with both S-400 and FGFA since both deals predate CAASTA. So all deals, American or Russian, that predate CAATSA are not applicable for sanctions. This applies to all countries. In our case, the Americans will be forced to give us a waiver anyway. It's they who don't have a choice.

Our main eastern supplier is Russia and our main western supplier is France. For us, America is primarily a political supplier, we don't really need them in the long run. Even technologies like EMALS and E-2D predate CAATSA. So whatever we need from the Americans, we can easily get, making the sanctions irrelevant at this point.

We have a road map to end imports anyway. So it doesn't affect us either way.

And F-35's.

The IAF is not interested in the F-35.

https://sputniknews.com/military/201804271063955713-india-not-interested-in-f35/
"There is not talk on F-35. The Indian Air Force has not evinced interest and not talked to anyone. It is incorrect to report that we are interested in F-35," Air Chief Marshal B. S. Dhanoa said at a program organized by a think tank in New Delhi on Thursday evening.

If sanctions are applied, the US has threatened to withhold sales of UCAVs. They have allowed the sale of the Guardian UCAVs, but the Avenger UCAVs will come into question. Even the IN's need to buy some Tritons will end.

As for Javelin, the US has offered multiple programs to develop future weapons with India through JVs. One is the 4th gen Javelin, which will replace the current inventory of Javelins in the US. Then there's the FVL program for new helicopters. And there's an offer to develop a new IFV with US and Israel. So naturally, all these offers will also be withdrawn due to sanctions.

Back
Top Bottom