What's new

India likely to be power surplus nation in 2018

Cant agree more..... Whats your thought on extensive usage of Led bulbs? I know electricity boards are providing subsidized bulbs.... But why not subsidize the entire LED bulbs produced?
Another issue is out dated Home appliances, Especially the refrigerators/TV/Air conditioners, They consume double the power of the latest one.... Govt should look in that aspect as well....

While Domestic consumption habits and appliances need to improve, these only form a small fraction of total consumption and more importantly even smaller fraction of T&D losses.
If you see the chain of distribution, generating utilities, generate and dispatch power at 400/765 kV levels and this is progressively stepped down to 220 V by the time it arrives at domestic consumer level and 415 V to small businesses and 6.6 kV max for large industries.
Therefore we need to see how we can make this step down process efficient with methods like underground or insulated cables (reducing Ohm heat losses) and dry Transformers.
Almost parallel to this, we can push for more efficient devices such as LED lights, Star rated domestic appliances, Energy efficient motors in industry etc. Similar efforts need to be made in agriculture sector, by giving incentives to use of large size equipments (such as combined harvesters) which have an inherent advantage of lesser specific energy consumption per unit operation (such as threshing, oil extraction etc).
But heavy industry, which consumes most power, needs to change radically. Most of industrial processes are still quite old owing to reluctance of industry to upgrade, thereby making processes not very energy efficient. Government needs to encourage people and leaders of industry to move from and older technology to newer more energy efficient ones. For example, a chemical industry uses a particular route of making a compound which involves exothermic reaction and cooling at different points of time. One can easily put a vapor adsorption cycle (using ammonia or similar gas) and reduce its cooling bill and at the same time reducing heat input to atmosphere.
So if such techniques can be identified and sops given, industry would move towards a phase where production is not only energy efficient but also environmentally benign.
I must point out to how railways has changed in last one decade. use of Three phase electric locomotives that have a capability of Regeneration, have significantly brought down cost of running an electric train. These consume much lower power and at the same time return some part of power back to grid, by converting braking power into electricity. No wonder Indian government is aggressively pushing for Railway electrification, for it is turning out to be one of the biggest Green house gas reducing contender.
I'm sure if we remain focused on improving small things, in next 20-25 years, globally India would not only be applauded as a stable and responsible democracy but also as climatic change reversal leader.
@Nilgiri @Levina @thesolar65 @GURU DUTT @XiNiX

Last edited:
Energy is cruicial in this era and producing it as much as required is even more important.its a good sign that indian gov is filling the pool to its top.

Very correct. Actually, damn cheap power tariff has played a very important role in affordable electricity. In India, solar power tariff has gone down from Rs 11+ to just Rs 2.54. It is expected to go under Rs 2 per unit and that is going to cause a revolution. India is all set to exploit it. I hope that all subcontinent countries to gather make a big plan of thousands of Mega watt solar electricity to gather to gain cost advantage because of Economy of scale. LED lights have also played a big role in saving electricity. New PF correction devices may also play a very important role in electricity saving. We need to put all this things together.

Very correct. Actually, damn cheap power tariff has played a very important role in affordable electricity. In India, solar power tariff has gone down from Rs 11+ to just Rs 2.54. It is expected to go under Rs 2 per unit and that is going to cause a revolution. India is all set to exploit it. I hope that all subcontinent countries to gather make a big plan of thousands of Mega watt solar electricity to gather to gain cost advantage because of Economy of scale. LED lights have also played a big role in saving electricity. New PF correction devices may also play a very important role in electricity saving. We need to put all this things together.
Right ! I am glad that your gov is taking serious steps towards cheap electricity.cheap power is as important as the power itself.in pakistan most power generated is thermal but by the end 2020 solar and hydro power shall share a significant portion of the overall power distribution in the country.

Right ! I am glad that your gov is taking serious steps towards cheap electricity.cheap power is as important as the power itself.in pakistan most power generated is thermal but by the end 2020 solar and hydro power shall share a significant portion of the overall power distribution in the country.

Actually that should be the way forward. I would be very happy if all subcontinent countries exploit this renewable, cheap and clean power. It can push our growth like anything.

Back
Top Bottom