What's new

India is just like Pakistan, say reality show contestants (from Pakistan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EjazR

Reaction score
India is just like Pakistan, say reality show contestants | ummid.com

New Delhi: Be it the food, the streets, the people or the music, Pakistani children who are contestants on Indian reality shows hardly feel any difference between the two neighbouring nations. For them, it's like a home away from home.

Karachi-based Wanya Jibran, a participant on STAR Plus' music reality show "Chhote Ustaad", says she was apprehensive about travelling to India with her mother but felt extremely well settled once she touched Mumbai.

"I was scared of travelling alone with my mom. But my parents were very supportive and said it's a lifetime's opportunity. And when I came to Mumbai, I found no major difference. It's like my Karachi. People here are also so nice; they take good care of us," the 13-year-old told IANS.

Wanya says she fails to understand the constant refrain about the two nations being at loggerheads.

"I don't know why people keep talking about tensions between India and Pakistan. I have never felt for a single moment that these two countries have bitter relations. I think relations are good and friendly," she added.

Wanya is one among 10 children shortlisted from Pakistan to take part in "Chhote Ustaad", which has one Indian child teamed with a Pakistani child to denote unity.

There are others too like Rouhan Abbas, 13, and Rosemary Mushtaq, 11, who are enjoying the Indian hospitality and their newfound friends across the border.

"Mujhe yahaan vada pav bahut achha lag raha hai (I have been enjoying eating vada pav in Mumbai). I have made so many friends here and have learnt so much from all judges that I will always remember India with a smile," said Rouhan, who lives in Lahore, and is a big fan of Indian singers Sonu Nigam and Hariharan.

Rosemary, also from Karachi, says she enjoys the rehearsals and the fun they have off-screen. She too is not concerned about the supposedly strained relations between the two countries.

Sonu Nigam and popular Pakistani singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, who has given several Bollywood hits, are the judges on the singing contest.

Children apart, Khurram Iqbal, the only Pakistani contestant on Zee TV's "Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstars", says people had taunted him before coming to India for the show. But now he is glad he didn't pay heed to them.

"My parents and friends gave me a lot of support, but I heard that many others were saying things like - 'India kyun jaa raha hai yeh ladka (Why is he going to India)'. I was frankly scared of coming here," Iqbal told IANS.

"But believe me, I have spent three-and-a-half months here in India now, and I have not missed home at all. I don't feel I'm away from Pakistan," said the 21-year-old, who dreams of becoming a Bollywood singer.

Khurram is still overjoyed that he got a chance to come face-to-face with his idol - Salman Khan. It's such simple moments of joy that these contestants will take back with them.

In the past, established singer Abhijeet Bhattacharya had expressed his displeasure about Pakistani singers coming to India, but Sonu Nigam feels this exchange of culture will go a long way in changing attitudes.

"Children have impressionable minds; so inculcating positivity and a feeling of brotherhood in them from this age will result in a very good future. Our show is a good initiative and I hope people will appreciate it," the singer said.

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, who has sung tracks "Teri Ore" and the recent "Tere Mast Mast do Nain", said the show "encourages brotherhood between India and Pakistan, advocates peace and that love should be the foundation of everything".

Over the years, many Pakistani singers have found a foothold in the Indian industry like Adnan Sami, Atif Aslam and Shafqat Amanat Ali apart from Rahat Fateh Ali Khan.

And Ashish Golwalkar, creative head (non-fiction) of Zee TV, says, "Raag Bhairavi does not change in Pakistan. The basics of music are the same everywhere. It is just all about bringing the best of talent on one stage and spreading peace."

No Pakistanis are taller, stronger and erm Fairer(with a Capital F) and have nothing in common with Indians! :p

Just putting things in perspective before everyone start jumping on thread starter! :P

On a serious note: More people to people contacts means more trust building. If there's any future to Indo-Pak relationship, that has to do with extensive people-to-people exchanges. This forum is a great example, even if there's war between Indo Pak, I'd want safe keeping of some Pakistani members here.

The day this will be brought up by Pakistanis saying that India/Pakistan have similarities then I will play the game. If Indians post this kind of posts, all we will see is how Pakistanis are more like arabs/turks/persians and central-asian..

There is no future for this thread .. except Pakistanis playing hard to get.

The day this will be brought up by Pakistanis saying that India/Pakistan have similarities then I will play the game. If Indians post this kind of posts, all we will see is how Pakistanis are more like arabs/turks/persians and central-asian..

:P i see something burning in your post.

anyway Pakistan is not consist of only Punjab so surely we have some more different things than India.

On another note Indian orange media is always on spree of self projection because as far as foods are similar well you can find McD in every country KFC almost every country, curry indeed in Pakistan too ;)

Shalwar Kameez indeed found in both countries :sick:

dahhhhhhhhhhhh so what was the point ??

I totally and strongly disagree. Whether it's food, humour, culture, music, language etc etc, there are immense similarities, and more importantly there is an acknowledgement of that from me and other Pakistani's.

I've been India, my sister has, a lot of my good friends have and share the sentiments the above visitor from Karachi says. However, it's a two way street. If Indians think they won't get the same hospitality in Pakistan, then they are deeply mistaken. Your journos and others will testify to that.

And do not forget the cricket series of 2004, when India toured and Indians were met with nothing but love and affection. This after virtually no people to people contact for years, Kargil and Pariliament attacks as well as Kashmir in general hanging over us. So it shows you the difference in what the people think vis-a-vis sabre rattling at the govt level on both sides.

I believe we need to look East if we want to be stronger. That's where a lot of shared heritage lies.

India is just like Pakistan.......yes:rolleyes: and Ashiwariya is like Meera:lol::lol: whats next???

Everyone is requested not to compare Pakistan and India, and Pakistanis with Indians....!

This is amazing to see such kind threads been started by Indians every now and then.

We are not same---I do not want to be racist but this is reality.

I think religion is the single most important thing for this gross generalisation.......i donno whether this generlisation is correct or not.....but yeah people from both countries are at loss.......though India is too big in itself......may be pakistan is at more loss with this enemity.....i guess they are trying to make up with friendships from other muslim countries.....how much it has paid them is not difficult to analyse though.......

This is amazing to see such kind threads been started by Indians every now and then.

What else do you expect brother...from Indians i mean. Kisi na kisi tara sa to woh apna connection zahir karin ga na or humain prove karna ki kooshh karin ga kah 2 nation theory ghalat thi, Quaid-e-Azam Galat tha wagra wagra.

I think religion is the single most important thing for this gross generalisation
No! this is not about religion but many other factors!

i guess they are trying to make up with friendships from other muslim countries.....how much it has paid them is not difficult to analyse though.......

Again you are wrong! Pakistan has many non-muslim friend too like China, Australia, Srilanka, Brazil, South Africa etc etc

Now please stop comparing..!

I really think had Mohd. ali jinnah not converted subcontinent would have been different and much much better......no offence intended for his conversion(he had all rights to do so).....my thought is just that what if he did not convert....religion is a big issue between the two countries u see...or even if he made pakistan single handedly we would not been sworn enemies....food for thought.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom