What's new

India interested in buying 6 V22 Osprey

Expensive .And 6 of them wont make a difference .

USA love for India reminds me of this
1422430879700x497xindo-us-copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4eC89Tr5TV.jpg

Then i remember this
main-qimg-bdf4395ad6e3724461d1bdda5a0fa9e8.jpg

Thats how i feel when i see this "double game" of selling expensive modern weapons to India and arming pakistan via Aid for fight against terror

The above picture is my one of the favorites.

Hope all can comment on this...

well the v-22 may be expensive. but it is very capable airframe. its used for quick deployment at a fast speed, faster than a chopper. japan just recieved the green light for a few, not sure how many but i think @Nihonjin1051 would know. most likely it will be used by the marines as a specailist airframe.

cv22_p_06_l.jpg

USA love for India reminds me of this

View attachment 279814

Hope all can comment on this...
the first part of the picture pakistan says somthing in hindi, can you translate that, thanks

At present we were not going to deploy our carrier battle group beyond Indian ocean,not even around Chinese mainland. At the most we will keep they will be deployed in west & east coast only. We are not US navy & won't deploy our carrier group far far away from mainland, things may change after the arrival of vishal class & its follow on carriers in Indian navy.

So in my opinion instead of spending money on v22 based aew&c (remember at present there is no v22based aew&c,so if we go for v22 aewc means we have pay us money for flight testing,which will definitely be a mammoth amount) IN should go directly for two or three IAI phalcon AWACS should stationed in shore. A shore based phalcon will give coverage for our aircraft carriers. Phalcon with its gigantic scanning area can provide data for not only IN mig29s but also for many IN frigates & destroyers. Il76 based phalcon will defeat v22 on endurance also.

That is not necessarily true.

India can tie up to have a DRDO made AWACS on top of the V22 platform similar to our tie up with Embraer.

That would be an incredible force multiplier for the IN.

The Ka-31 has an endurance of 2.5 hours. The V22 has an endurance of 4.9 hours. Moreover V22 can do buddy 2 buddy refuelling and act as an Refueller to Mig 29K make it more lethal.

21stv22tanker.jpg

V-22_Osprey_Inflight_Refueling_1.jpg

the first part of the picture pakistan says somthing in hindi, can you translate that, thanks

Pakistan says "No problem", India says " good plan" :P

India can tie up to have a DRDO made AWACS on top of the V22 platform similar to our tie up with Embraer.

The Ka-31 has an endurance of 2.5 hours. The V22 has an endurance of 4.9 hours. Moreover V22 can do buddy 2 buddy refuelling and act as an Refueller to Mig 29K make it more lethal.

21stv22tanker.jpg

cheers bud

Paris Air Show 2015: Performance and lower costs drive renewed interest in V-22 Osprey | IHS Jane's 360

Paris Air Show 2015: Performance and lower costs drive renewed interest in V-22 Osprey
Gareth Jennings, Paris - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
15 June 2015

main_p1364596.jpg

Boeing sees renewed interest in the V-22 that should lead to additional domestic and international sales. Source: Bell Helicopter
Boeing is seeing "a real pent-up interest" in the V-22 Osprey that it expects will result in additional domestic and international sales in the not-too-distant future, the head of the company's Vertical-Lift division told reporters in late May.

The operational success of the MV-22-variant for the US Marine Corps and the CV-22-variant for the US Air Force (USAF), coupled with reduced procurement and operating costs, is driving a demand for the tiltrotor that goes beyond the current programmes of record, Dave Koopersmith said ahead of the Paris Air Show.

With Japan set to sign for the first five of 17 MV-22s later this year and the US Navy (USN) expected to take up its allocation of 48 HV-22s for the carrier onboard delivery (COD) role, Koopersmith acknowledged interest from Italy, which has a naval requirement, as well as a follow-on buy by the USAF for more CV-22s.

"I really hesitate to list all of the customers who have expressed an interest in the Osprey," he said. As well as Japan, Israel has also indicated that it will buy the aircraft.

While a large part of this interest has grown off the back of the V-22's operational showings in Iraq, Afghanistan, and beyond, Koopersmith said that company efforts to drive down costs is attracting additional interest in the platform.

"We have been driving costs out, not just in the platform but in the costs per flight hour. The challenge now is to continue to mature the support systems - getting maintainers trained and the spares out in the fleet and the training done - to get the costs per flight hour down to a [more affordable] rate," he said.

Separately, Koopersmith noted the recent weapons trials that are geared to adding an offensive capability to the V-22 for both the USMC and USAF. To date, forward-firing rockets and aft-firing missiles have been tested. While Koopersmith declined to provide details, he noted the possibility of also integrating additional weapon systems, such as a chin-mounted gun.

On the subject of the COD role, Rick Lemaster, Director V-22 business development, the USMC recently conducted sea trials aboard the USS Wasp . For this role, the V-22 will be equipped with extra fuel capacity and beyond line-of-sight communications. It will also be able to be fitted with a special cradle to carry the F135 engine of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter

V-22 Update: Readiness Up 25%; Flight Hour Costs Down 20% Since 2009 « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary
V-22 Update: Readiness Up 25%; Flight Hour Costs Down 20% Since 2009
By COLIN CLARKon April 07, 2014 at 4:37 PM

SEA-AIR-SPACE: At least one important operating unit of the V-22 is sustaining impressive readiness rates “in the high 80s,” according to Col. Dan Robinson, the new program manager. But Robinson, asked by me and some of my colleagues, also said he didn’t have fleet-wide numbers and offered some unconvincing chatter about different units having different rates and how you can slice those numbers lots of different ways.

Given the intense criticisms of the V-22 in past years for its relatively low readiness rates and high cost per flying hours, one might have reasonably expected questions about this, especially in light of the classified report in October last year by the Pentagon Inspector General that found:

“From FY 2009 through FY 2011, MV-22 squadron commanders computed the Naval Aviation Maintenance Program MCR for five of the six squadrons using erroneous aircraft inventory reports and work orders.”

That report has not been leaked or declassified and the Marines did immediately reject the findings, saying the V-22 tilt rotor aircraft has deployed and flown “with properly trained and equipped combat ready Marines and mission capable aircraft” over the last six years.

But Robinson did remember that readiness rates are up 25 percent since 2009, when a program was introduced to improve readiness and lower costs. And those costs are, he said, down 20 percent since 2009, but he wasn’t more specific. The unit with the high readiness rate is the Marines new Special MAGTF, based in Moron, Spain and designed to respond immediately to crises. Given its mission, it had better boast high readiness rates.

On the foreign sales front, Robinson said eight to 10 countries are “very interested” in the V-22 but he would only talk a bit about Israel. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said last year he would fast-track approval for sales of V-22s to Israel. Robinson said a US team is in Israel discussing terms. At the Paris Air Show last year, then-program manager Marine Col. Greg Masiello said costs were down to $9,520 an hour. “In 2010 we have had a 28 percent increase in readiness; at the same time we’ve had a 19 percent decrease in maintenance costs, as measured by cost per flight hour,” an obviously pleased program manager told me when I asked him for the latest numbers. Massiello also said he envisioned sales of up to 100 foreign V-22s.

Some eight of 12 presidential squadron V-22s were delivered last year, Robinson said. The first one delivered flew here to the bleak land of National Harbor for the Navy’s big Sea-Air-Space conference this morning.

IMPORTANT MULTI SOURCE FIGURES - Inspite of tall claims by Sales folks of boeing at $9250 per hourc cost pls have a look at some multiple sources and compare

The Army estimates that $1,895 for the CH-47F as flight hour cost.

TIME MAGAZINE
Costly Flight Hours | TIME.com

C 130 - $14014
C17 $ 23800
CV-22B Osprey Tilt-Rotor — $83,256
F-16C Viper Fighter — $22,514
F-22A Raptor Fighter — $68,362

Another source another claim
screen_shot_2014-12-29_at_12.54.23_pm.png

This Chart Shows The Staggering Hourly Cost Of Operating US Military Aircraft | Business Insider India

V22 - $70K

SOrry in my books the cost of flyaway and operating cost and flight hour cost is ridiculous. So unless we want White elephants avoid V22 at any cost. Unless Boeing showcases the price per flight hour to be cheaper in the range of $7-8K, i dont see its need at all in terms of cost and efficiency.

Last edited:
Expensive .And 6 of them wont make a difference .
Actually the platform v22 i

21stv22tanker.jpg

If you are going keep a rada on v22 ,weather its by DRDO radar or us one,you need immense engineering work to to be done and no one has done yet on v22 thats not the case withembraer. But in this case of propsed modified v22 the filgt stability test itself will take lot of reaserch and money for the the research & flight stability test have to be payed by India. The testing time also will be more. Once flight stability achieved the second part will be testing of radar,that process also will take its own time.

So at the end we will get insanely overpriced,yet short legged(both in terms of scanning area & endurance),yet maintenance intensive aew&c over of the shelf AWACS.

Last edited:
Considering the amount of western weapons India has started to show interest in it seems they are done with Russian weapons.

Indian is interested in so many things since Rafael
Like 200 F 18 with complete assembly plant in India with TOT just for 40 billion USD
S-400 interested just few more billions of USD
Stealth Fighter, Apache, Chinook (more)
2 new aircraft carriers just for few more billions
and many many more waoo nice wish list

And they will pay for it vs. taking our AID money and apply it as payment.

Last edited:
Indian is interested in so many things since Rafael
Like 200 F 18 with complete assembly plant in India with TOT just for 40 billion USD
S-400 interested just few more billions of USD
Stealth Fighter, Apache, Chinook (more)
2 new aircraft carriers just for few more billions
and many many more waoo nice wish list
Wrong India is interested in
FGFA
S400
AMCA
3 Aircraft carrier Navy
MTA
Chinook
Apache
LCA
Rafale
Mig 29K
Barak NG
AAD/PDV
Super Sukhoi 30 MKI
EMAL
Phalcon Awaac

And most of its wishlist will be achieved, so what Pakistani wishlist

Su-35
F-35
J31
T-FX
J-10 B/C
J-11
J-16
Rafale
EF-2000
HQ-9
S-300
French Avionics for Jf-17

Lets see how much you are getting.

well the v-22 may be expensive. but it is very capable airframe. its used for quick deployment at a fast speed, faster than a chopper. japan just recieved the green light for a few, not sure how many but i think @Nihonjin1051 would know. most likely it will be used by the marines as a specailist airframe.

cv22_p_06_l.jpg

These are for special ops, so probably will be in very few in numbers

LOL...... I guarantee you that the COAS of PA is only interested in easing the pressure that India is putting on them. That is the ONLY Agenda for the talks.

The other Agenda remains training and sending Terrorists all over the world, primarily into India. That is the only thing the are good at and it is not going to end any-time soon.

Whatever works ..... only the GoP and PA have started to realize that it takes two to tango and two can tango ..... the costs for Pakistan to follow the self destructive course it has been following have risen exponentially and there is a paradigm shift in Indian strategic thinking. We have started relegating broad war to the cold storage (in cold start) and have instead increased our focus in fighting across spectrum in asymmetric fashion. Lets see how things proceed now.

Whatever works ..... only the GoP and PA have started to realize that it takes two to tango and two can tango ..... the costs for Pakistan to follow the self destructive course it has been following have risen exponentially and there is a paradigm shift in Indian strategic thinking. We have started relegating broad war to the cold storage (in cold start) and have instead increased our focus in fighting across spectrum in asymmetric fashion. Lets see how things proceed now.

I think that is empty boasting. The cost of terrorism remains low and pakistan will continue to be the hub of terrorism.

The "military establishment" in paksitan is a Parasite that sucks the life of the civil society and is a creature that has eolved to attack India.

The only way to kill that parasite is to encourage the host to reject that parasite and kill it, or Kill the host so that the Parasite dies with it.

I am beginning to think that it is better to kill the host to finish this parasite once and for all.

LOL...... I guarantee you that the COAS of PA is only interested in easing the pressure that India is putting on them. That is the ONLY Agenda for the talks.

The other Agenda remains training and sending Terrorists all over the world, primarily into India. That is the only thing the are good at and it is not going to end any-time soon.

If its for RAW then I guess it is one cost we cannot avoid. Maybe US will give us a "discount" :D
:o: What has RAW got to do with tilt rotors :what:
confused-man-in-suit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom