What's new

India ‘Has Lost’ Superbug War

India ‘Has Lost’ Superbug War

OB-XC488_iwater_G_20130417090556.jpg

India has lost the war against the toughest forms of antibiotic resistance because of poor sanitation, unregulated use of antibiotics and an absence of drug resistance monitoring.

India has lost the war against the toughest forms of antibiotic resistance, largely because of poor sanitation, unregulated use of antibiotics and an absence of drug resistance monitoring, according to the man who discovered a type of drug resistance in bacteria in New Delhi.

“All these factors add to why it’s going to be so difficult to deal with or even tackle [resistance], you won’t solve it, it’s over,” said Tim Walsh, professor of medical microbiology at Cardiff University in Wales.

In 2010, Mr. Walsh discovered an enzyme that made disease-causing bacteria resistant to antibiotics. He named the enzyme “New Delhi Metallo 1” (NDM-1) and claims he was banned from working in India after the discovery.

Bacteria carrying the NDM-1 enzyme are highly resistant to the most powerful group of antibiotics, known as carbopenems, making infections caused by them extremely difficult to treat.

They can also transfer their resilience to other bacteria, including those that cause infections. “The rapidity and frequency of that transfer is something that we have never seen before in antibiotic resistance,” Mr. Walsh said.

He estimates that up to 200 million Indians carry NDM-1 on the benign bacteria in their intestines. But a lack of research and scarcity of data make it difficult to gauge in terms of its transfer to disease causing bacteria.

“We’ve failed to understand how NDM-1 spreads in the community,” Mr. Walsh said, adding that there is also very little understanding about the risks associated with being infected by a bacteria carrying NDM-1.

“We’ve failed to understand what dominant clones are in hospital and we’ve failed to understand the risk post surgical infections,” he said.

In almost three years since he published his research in the Lancet medical journal, Mr. Walsh says that India has failed to respond to the “urgent” need to regulate the sale and use of antibiotics, track the incidence of resistance or improve sanitation.

Antibiotics are for sale without prescription in pharmacies in India and there are no national guidelines for clinicians on their use in hospitals. Bacterial diseases develop resistance to treatment with antibiotics when the drugs are wrongly used to treat viral infections or when a full course of drugs isn’t completed.

Resistance makes infectious diseases more difficult or impossible to treat. Even simple urinary tract infections when caused by an NDM-1 carrying bacteria cannot be eradicated with antibiotics, Mr. Walsh said.

When he published his findings in 2010 Walsh says his name “became mud” in political and scientific circles in India.

“I named the gene after the capital of India which they [the government] weren’t too thrilled about,” he said. It is normal scientific practice to name genes after the cities in which they are found, he added.

“We were banned from India and India had a massive clamp down on sending [biological] strains out,” Mr. Walsh said. “Indians were banned from working with me, or anybody in Europe the whole thing was a systematic campaign to control research into antibiotic resistance in India.”

Neither the Ministry of Health nor the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization responded to requests for comment.

Mr. Walsh says he received hate mail and was accused of working for the British secret service after he published further research in 2011 showing that NDM-1 existed in samples of tap water and pools of water in New Delhi streets.

The scientist is now working on samples from Pakistan in order to study the impact of NDM-1 on bacteria. “In Pakistan the people want to work with us, and unlike India are completely transparent and open about their health problems,” he said.

He added that the countries had vastly different economic capabilities for tackling the problem of resistance. “Whilst Pakistan can’t do anything about it economically, India can… But it chooses to do nothing,” he said.

Shining India :lol:

You might've missed this.

it is you and the hordes of cheerleaders who have missed a whole lot:

Mr. Walsh says he received hate mail and was accused of working for the British secret service after he published further research in 2011 showing that NDM-1 existed in samples of tap water and pools of water in New Delhi streets.

The scientist is now working on samples from Pakistan in order to study the impact of NDM-1 on bacteria. “In Pakistan the people want to work with us, and unlike India are completely transparent and open about their health problems,” he said.

He added that the countries had vastly different economic capabilities for tackling the problem of resistance. “Whilst Pakistan can’t do anything about it economically, India can… But it chooses to do nothing,” he said.

stop you hot air, cheerleader
the news is 3 year old

Life expectancy China: 76
life expectancy - failed state 11 years shorter than China @ 65

No of medals at Olympics - China - many, consistently ranked among the top nations in medal counts

No of medals at Olympics - failed state - dismal. consistently ranked among the poorest in medal counts

failed state india is the worst in infectious disease outbreaks:
diarrhea, multi-drug resistant TBs, HIV-aids, leprosy, japanese encephalilis, rabies, cholera, dengue fever ..

hehe. 3 years is a long long long time ago ! Right !??

Superbug fear over resistance to antibiotics

Superbug fear over resistance to antibiotics | South China Morning Post

Nov 13, 2013

:p:

Nov 13, 2013

1. You pathetic liar who cheated even on this minuscule thing:

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 22 August, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 22 August, 2013, 4:37am

2. We do our own research and made the report
3. anti biotic medication abuse in not better in failed state india
4. the OP article has pointed out super-bugs are contaminated in indian waters
5. We live longer and stronger!

1. You pathetic liar even on this minuscule thing:

2. We do our own research and made the report
3. anti biotic medication abuse in not better in failed state india
4. the OP article has pointed out super-bugs are contaminated in indian waters
5. We live longer and stronger!

miniscule people see miniscule things !

22 August, 2013 is also long time ago for you ? :p:

as a doctor, I admit that there are a lot unprofessional and rampant use of antibiotics in India.but most are not by human consumption but due to veterinary use. A lot of countries including US is affected by superbug which are of US origin.
so blaming India only is wrong. Antibiotics should be given on physician advice and in full dose and duration.
higher generation antibiotics should only be available in hospital setup. A proper guideline should be maintained.

These things should happen immediately or else humanity will lose the war.

stop you hot air, cheerleader
the news is 3 year old

Life expectancy China: 76
life expectancy - failed state 11 years shorter than China @ 65

No of medals at Olympics - China - many, consistently ranked among the top nations in medal counts

No of medals at Olympics - failed state - dismal. consistently ranked among the poorest in medal counts

failed state india is the worst in infectious disease outbreaks:
diarrhea, multi-drug resistant TBs, HIV-aids, leprosy, japanese encephalilis, rabies, cholera, dengue fever ..

Nov 13, 2013

Guess where the latest bird flu virus H9N11 originated, perhaps @shuttler can answer the question.

how about Mr Welsh go to USA and check Superbug outbreak there???why he insists on coming to "Dirty India"???

Is India Filthy?
India is Filthy | Adventure Travel blog for Couples | The Planet D

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the fact that India is much cleaner than we expected.

Well, the minute I posted that article, I have been eating my words.

India is Filthy.

India_Filth_garbage_street.jpg

Ever since that day, India has become progressively worse. You see, we started our journey through the country in the South of India. We had heard all of the stories about the garbage, the cow dung, the pollution etc. We thought that we should ease our way into India so that we would be more prepared once we traveled north.

Goa was so nice, it had people cleaning the beaches each morning. (Except for the cow carcass that the dogs gnawed on each day) We even saw garbage trucks go by every once in a while. Hampi may have been rough around the edges but it was still possible to walk without a gagging on a regular basis.

Kerala almost seems sanitized at this point and Mumbai, well lets just say, I would love to go back to Mumbai. It had a few sidewalks that we could walk on. It had a few garbage cans here and there and it even had a waterfront path to escape the traffic. We didn’t even see cows in Coloba or the Fort District.

In retrospect I think that we may have made the wrong choice starting in the south. I think that if we traveled in the opposite direction we would have witnessed India becoming cleaner as we go. Sure it would have been just baby steps to cleanliness, but with each city we would have noticed an improvement.

Filthy_street_homeless_India.jpg

Instead we are seeing a dirtier and dirtier India with each stop.

We have become so grossed out in the North that we just may wimp out after Varanasi and the tiger sanctuary and skip out of Dodge while we still have happy thoughts about India.

India_filth_cows_garbage.jpg

Rajasthan has been noticeably a mess.

Our first stop was Udaipur and we loved that town. Sure, it had cow dung and garbage in the streets. The lake was polluted and at times you could smell the stench of urine where men had peed against the wall, but it wasn’t too bad.

Public_Urinals_Filthy_India.jpg

As we have moved on, each city has become more cluttered with refuse, human waste is in the streets along with the cow dung. Open sewers flow along the buildings foundations of old cities and it is impossible to walk anywhere. The filth was becoming more apparent with each day.

Yes, I am eating my words. I admit it, I take everything back.

India is Filthy.

filth_India_garbage_waste.jpg

Garbage_sewage_India_Filthy.jpg

Now that we are in Rajasthan, we wonder why the governing body doesn’t get its act together. There is no need to live in this waste.

There are a billion people in India, it should be easy to employ people to clean up the street. Why not put in some garbage cans? That would be a great start. If things are too disgusting to start off, why not put your criminals to work? We have punishments in Canada where people are sentenced to community service.

Dave and I walk around daily and state how there isn’t a reason for all this mess. Well, we can’t talk while we are walking. I have to assume the position of walking behind him while he leads the way. It is impossible to walk side by side. We must walk in single file. We have to walk on the road with the cars, the rickshaws and the cows and oh yeah, the filth.

india_filthy_sleeping_garbage1.jpg

We commented to each other that India is very bad for the relationship. We never get to hold hands or socialize while we walk. Nope, walking in India is work.

I have to walk with my scarf around my nose to block out the disgusting smells that linger in the air. We have to watch where we step, we can never take our eye off the road. One lapse in concentration and you could easily be stepping in a gooey mess of giant poop. Maybe they should have touts sell hip waders I’m sure they would be a big hit! All the while you have to dodge buses, cars, rickshaws and the odd loogie of spit coming out of windows or flying through the air from somewhere. You may trip over a homeless guy sleeping in the street… or a sleeping dog. Cows don’t move for anything and you have to fend off touts and beggars the entire time.

You want an adventure? Try going out for a leisurely stroll in India.

filthy_india_urinate_public_toilet.jpg

The temples are beautiful, the forts are nice, but the waste, the shit and garbage are such a turn off that we are really considering leaving the country. What can I say, we’ve reached our limit. We are Canada’s Wimpy Couple rather than Canada’s Adventure Couple. We just can’t get passed the feces and rotting food in the street.

It really makes us appreciate what we have in in Canada. A Garbage Union. Those guys deserve all the money they are making and more!

Guess where the latest bird flu virus H9N11 originated, perhaps @shuttler can answer the question.

It appears to be a new strain. We have to start another research for vaccines

We are successful in developing a vaccine for H7N9 which was reported in post # 251 here:

https://defence.pk/threads/china-prepares-to-spend-billions-on-science-and-technology.249386/page-17

also in respect of :

combating leprosy in post
# 249

WHO approves our new vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis in # 229

A novel method of treating superbug pneumonia # 186

A breakthrough discovery in fighting HIV-aids #189 (1st link)

We are getting there!:china:

Back
Top Bottom