What's new

India hails World Bank decision on Indus treaty

Hulk

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ion-on-indus-treaty/articleshow/55965281.cms?

NEW DELHI: India today said World Bank's decision to temporarily halt two simultaneous processes to look into Indo-Pak dispute over Kishenganga and Ratle project confirms that pursuing the two concurrent processes could have rendered the Indus Water Treaty unworkable over time.

External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said India remains fully conscious of its international obligations and is ready to engage in further consultations on the matter of resolving current differences
regarding these two projects.

"The government had pointed out on 10 November, 2016 the legal untenability of the World Bank launching two simultaneous processes-- for appointment of a Neutral Expert as requested by India and establishment of a Court of Arbitration requested by Pakistan-- to adjudicate technical differences between India and a Pakistan on Kishenganga and Ralte projects

"By temporarily halting both the processes now, the Bank has confirmed that pursuing the two concurrent processes can render the Treaty unworkable over time," Swarup said.

The World Bank's move to pause the process came nearly a month after India had strongly objected to the global body's "inexplicable" decision, saying going ahead with two separate mechanisms was "legally untenable".

Group President of World Bank Jim Yong Kim said,"We are announcing this pause to protect the Indus Waters Treaty and to help India and Pakistan consider alternative approaches to resolving conflicting interests under the Treaty and its application to two hydroelectric power plants."

The pause was announced by Kim in letters to the finance ministers of India and Pakistan. It was also emphasised that the Bank was acting to safeguard the Treaty.

Under the Indus Waters Treaty, signed between India and Pakistan and also the World Bank in 1960, the World Bank has a specified role in the process of resolution of differences and disputes.

So I was right, Indian objective was to maintain status quo because most decisions under current mechanism have favored India.

So I was right, Indian objective was to maintain status quo because most decisions under current mechanism have favored India.
Uhm no, right now the status quo favors Pakistan. That's why modi is crying about pulling out, he knows it favors Pakistan. You see? The brahmaputra river is all but gone for india, China releases the water when it wants to so india is at China's mercy. And because of that, india is now facing a sever water shortage. indian farmers are getting hurt. On top of that, modi has to abide by this agreement and give Pakistan it's share of the water as per this status quo. So modi wants to unilaterally pull out of this agreement so that he can fulfill this water shortage which, as we have stated as the national policy, will lead to war.

So this wb's pause at best, only gives india a chance to think over things. Because pause or no pause, our policy remains unchanged; touch our share of the water and it will be a war. Simple as that. And given how deeply bogged down 70% of the indian army is in kashmir right now, a war with Pakistan is not looking too good for india.

Last edited:
Uhm no, right now the status quo favors Pakistan. That's why modi is crying about pulling out, he knows it favors Pakistan.
Are you dumb or what? Nobody claimed that India is considering pulling out of IWT. We want to make use of our share of water. That's it. And as you said it favours Pakistan and we are against that bias. We want fair share.

Uhm no, right now the status quo favors Pakistan. That's why modi is crying about pulling out, he knows it favors Pakistan.
Are you dumb or what? Nobody claimed that India is considering pulling out of IWT. We want to make use of our share of water. That's it. And as you said it favours Pakistan and we are against that bias. We want fair share.
Oye, watch your mouth. Tera mera mazaq nahi hay chottay! And we never said that you can't use your share of the water. Do what you want with it. Just don't touch our share give it to us. The point of contention is not your "share" of the water, the point of contention is what modi said about trying to take away our water. THAT will lead to war.

Uhm no, right now the status quo favors Pakistan. That's why modi is crying about pulling out, he knows it favors Pakistan. You see? The brahmaputra river is all but gone for india, China releases the water when it wants to so india is at China's mercy. And because of that, india is now facing a sever water shortage. indian farmers are getting hurt. On top of that, modi has to abide by this agreement and give Pakistan it's share of the water as per this status quo. So modi wants to unilaterally pull out of this agreement so that he can fulfill this water shortage which, as we have stated as the national policy, will lead to war.

So this wb's pause at best, only gives india a chance to think over things. Because pause or no pause, our policy remains unchanged; touch our share of the water and it will be a war. Simple as that. And given how deeply bogged down 70% of the indian army is in kashmir right now, a war with Pakistan is not looking too good for india.
Brahmaputra passes through the north eastern part of India which is mainly mountainous (Assam) and then feeds in to the bangladesh plains. It doesn't affect India's fertile northern plains at all..but it hugely affects Bangladesh. also brahmaputra is locally fed by several smaller rivers originating in India beyond China's control...so read some geography before ranting like some strategic expert here.

Brahmaputra passes through the north eastern part of India which is mainly mountainous (Assam) and then feeds in to the bangladesh plains. It doesn't affect India's fertile northern plains at all..but it hugely affects Bangladesh. also brahmaputra is locally fed by several smaller rivers originating in India beyond China's control...so read some geography before ranting like some strategic expert here.
hey I'm just going off your own media reports that I've seen claiming that it is hurting your agriculture. So take it up with your media outlets, not me!

hey I'm just going off your own media reports that I've seen claiming that it is hurting your agriculture. So take it up with your media outlets, not me!
The media is full of retards trying to make money out of people's fear. The level of discussion here should be more informed than simple rhetoric based on media stories

Oh enough with this indian mujra already, just freakin' try to stop the water already! Learn from China and just do it, or are you too...how shall I say this...sissy? :lol:

I guess you didn't pay concentration in your geography class.

China can't stop Brahmaputra's flow and they don't intend to.Because then,Bangladesh will become desert.Brahmaputra's flow is not extremely essential for India as we can't divert water from that river as Bangaldesh is the end user here.But of course,your madrassa trained brain can't contain and possess these complex infos.

Do you know what is most "Sissy" is,In every tribunal Pakistan gets beaten over IWT and yet they're not satisfied yet. :lol:

I guess you didn't pay concentration in your geography class.

China can't stop Brahmaputra's flow and they don't intend to.Because then,Bangladesh will become desert.Brahmaputra's flow is not extremely essential for India as we can't divert water from that river as Bangaldesh is the end user here.But of course,your madrassa trained brain can't contain and possess these complex infos.

Do you know what is most "Sissy" is,In every tribunal Pakistan gets beaten over IWT and yet they're not satisfied yet. :lol:

Word of advice for you, if you attempt to troll people with with ad hominem remarks and making fun of their lack of education, it might be a good idea to at least get your own grammar and punctuation in order first lol

it will give them time to complete anti pakistan projects. but the process will start again after january as india won't try to solve the problem.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom