What's new

India elections fail to inspire Kashmiris

This has been a trend forever. But it is not as simple as our dear friends across the border think.
3. The article states the voting has been dismal in Kashmir. That is incorrect and very prejudiced

Bijoyeta Das (The writer of this article) is a journalist and photographer. She has reported from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, the Philippines, Thailand, Turkey, South Korea and USA and holds a masters degree in Journalism from Northeastern University, USA and a photojournalism postgraduate diploma from Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines.

Why would she hold some kind of prejudice against the Indian state and a soft corner for Pakistan or militants/extremists... ??

1. Anantnag(unofficially called Islamabad by local secular people) for example has always seen extreme violence on the eve of poll. The poll official and many other security people were killed. All sarpanchs, officials etc were threatened. In this situation there is little chance of people coming out to vote. Then there is peer pressure. Many in my district consider vote as a Hindu exercise!
2. People now believe in absolute Islamism in Anantnag, Srinagar, Sopore, etc. Elections hence are of relatively lesser importance. As a result almost all Hindus, Sikhs, most Shias have left these places to Udhampur and Jammu. The last Sufi shrine was blown up last year - so much for the Sufi culture of Kashmir. It is aptly put by the statement - "Habibullah, who refused to give his full name, said, "Only Islamic rule can solve Kashmir's problem"."

The situation is really alarming then .......... Bad for India

5. All said, I admit that people of Anantnag and Ganderbal generally have little love for Hindus and India. There is only one demand that dominates the political scenario -Greater Islamization

The same mindset is prevalent here ... "Only Islam can solve all our problems" ... So this naturally draws them closer to Pakistan ; An Islamic Republic .......

6. Ultimately it boils down to a simple fact - relativism. For me, a minority, India is the only hope for survival.

And what about the majority ? You can`t keep killing them like this for ever .. or can you ?

1. Bangalore recorded 34% of votes. By that logic it wants to secede from India.
2. Yaar, you don't understand. The security is only temporary - they leave after the elections are over. The people who vote get MARKED FOR EVER! Even after I voted I left for Udhampur because Anantnag(you called it Islamabad, its not renamed officially)was declared hypersensitive. A number of poll officials were attacked, some killed etc. Peaceful people boycotting elections don't do that.
3. Poll boycott is nothing new. It is done all over India to protest against issues. Such things have happened all over the country.
4. As for Indian Army forcing the elections - the media is present, hence it is impossible for that to happen. In fact the Indian Army is not even deployed for the elections. The CRPF is.

A low election turnout is not the only thing pointing towards what Kashmiris want ... Your own post tells the whole story .. Do you deny that IA has been involved in serious human rights violation in Kashmir ?

Bijoyeta Das (The writer of this article) is a journalist and photographer. She has reported from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, the Philippines, Thailand, Turkey, South Korea and USA and holds a masters degree in Journalism from Northeastern University, USA and a photojournalism postgraduate diploma from Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines.

Why would she hold some kind of prejudice against the Indian state and a soft corner for Pakistan or militants/extremists... ??

The situation is really alarming then .......... Bad for India

The same mindset is prevalent here ... "Only Islam can solve all our problems" ... So this naturally draws them closer to Pakistan ; An Islamic Republic .......

And what about the majority ? You can`t keep killing them like this for ever .. or can you ?

A low election turnout is not the only thing pointing towards what Kashmiris want ... Your own post tells the whole story .. Do you deny that IA has been involved in serious human rights violation in Kashmir ?
:) Look bro - I will give you honest answers here.

1. Regarding Bijoyeta Das, I don't claim she has a soft corner for Pakistan etc. I am saying that her view point is prejudiced. There are two ways it can happen. Either you think the Indian state is wrong, or the Islamists are right. In either case it's a prejudice(preconceived notion coloring your thought). The point is this - Kashmir is not just Anantnag, nor does it comprise of one single community.

EDIT: On second thoughts, I think - mistaken would be a better alternative instead of 'prejudiced'. It conveys the meaning better. :ashamed: Sorry about that!

2. Situation is alarming indeed - I agree. But there is a silver lining. Previously the boycott was deeper. Now Kashmiri Muslims are all over the country - in schools, colleges, workplaces etc. Revolutionary changes are not possible in a democracy(however moth eaten it may be). It will take time, perhaps a generation or two.

3. About the same mindset - I agree with you. It is unfortunate but as long as they don't get violent, they are fine as per Indian Law.

4. I don't deny the atrocities by the Army. But what the predominantly Islamist narrative goes is that of presenting Kashmiri Sunnis as the only victims. This involves ridiculous exaggeration of Army actions. In many places there are false flag operations - a novel idea indeed. Even in some of the popular massacres(Chittisinghpora etc) militants have made it a point to dress in Indian Army fatigues and indulged in acts of terror. And these are the ones that have come to the limelight. Add to this the practical necessity of maligning the armed forces. The real atrocities are a very tiny fraction of what is alleged as investigations reveal.

5. Had there been a policy to marginalize and oppress the majority Sunni population in Kashmir, trust me - the Sufi shrines and hundreds of temples would have survived in the valley. They do not. The deliberate oppression is a myth.

Last edited:
@Azlan Haider The news is biased, it didn't mention about high voter turnout in places like Jammu, Poonch-Rajouri, Udhampur, Doda.

Interesting thing is those 28%( who came out for voting ) decides the future of rest of the people in the valley

It seems many more wanted to vote but stayed indoor in the fear of violence after the killing of Sarpanch. Hurriyat leaders were extremely terrified with the trend after the high turnout in 2008 Assembly elections.

It seems many more wanted to vote but stayed indoor in the fear of violence and killing of Sarpanch. Hurriyat guys were extremely terrified after the high turnout in 2008 Assembly elections.
Suspected militants kill sarpanch, his son in Jammu and Kashmir | NDTV.com
Sarpanch, son among 3 killed by militants in Pulwama in J&K
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Sarpanch-shot-dead-by-militants-in-Kashmir/articleshow/33930796.cms

PDP Sarpanch shot dead in south Kashmir - The Hindu

This is how they create fear in the Minds.

And
then name it Peaceful boycott.

Police detain youth to ‘avoid South Kashmir-like situation’

‘150 youth arrested in 2 days from Srinagar, Budgam’
SHABIR IBN YUSUF

Srinagar, Apr 27: Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections in the Srinagar-Budgam constituency—slated to be held on April 30—at least 150 youth have been arrested by police in Central Kashmir.

Reports said most of the youth have been arrested in the past two days during nocturnal raids in areas of Srinagar and Budgam.

In Srinagar, majority of youth arrested are from old Srinagar. "These youth were arrested earlier on stone-throwing charges and later released," police sources said, adding, “They have been arrested to avoid South Kashmir-like situation during the elections in Srinagar on Wednesday.” Protests, clashes and stone-pelting were witnessed in several areas of South Kashmir during the polls on April 24.

Residents of old Srinagar said cops are on the arrest spree. "They call youth to police stations and detain them," Muhammad Maqbool, a resident of Nowhatta, said. “Those who do not attend police stations are being arrested during nocturnal raids.”
The residents said to evade arrest, several youth have gone into hiding.

The police have also arrested scores of youth from Civil Lines Srinagar. Several former militants have also been arrested, reports said.

A police official here termed it as “preventive custody of youth.” “They would be released after Srinagar election is over,” he said.

Which spirits are we talking about here................the afterlife one or the Grey Goose one :lol:

The report is not true, majority of Kashmiris are willing to support Indian democracy.

Police detain youth to ‘avoid South Kashmir-like situation’

‘150 youth arrested in 2 days from Srinagar, Budgam’
SHABIR IBN YUSUF

Srinagar, Apr 27: Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections in the Srinagar-Budgam constituency—slated to be held on April 30—at least 150 youth have been arrested by police in Central Kashmir.

Reports said most of the youth have been arrested in the past two days during nocturnal raids in areas of Srinagar and Budgam.

In Srinagar, majority of youth arrested are from old Srinagar. "These youth were arrested earlier on stone-throwing charges and later released," police sources said, adding, “They have been arrested to avoid South Kashmir-like situation during the elections in Srinagar on Wednesday.” Protests, clashes and stone-pelting were witnessed in several areas of South Kashmir during the polls on April 24.

Residents of old Srinagar said cops are on the arrest spree. "They call youth to police stations and detain them," Muhammad Maqbool, a resident of Nowhatta, said. “Those who do not attend police stations are being arrested during nocturnal raids.”
The residents said to evade arrest, several youth have gone into hiding.

The police have also arrested scores of youth from Civil Lines Srinagar. Several former militants have also been arrested, reports said.

A police official here termed it as “preventive custody of youth.” “They would be released after Srinagar election is over,” he said.
Ah Greater Kashmir :D
"Reports said most of the youth have been arrested in the past two days during nocturnal raids in areas of Srinagar and Budgam." - Which reports? :azn:

Come on yaara, you know preventive detention is common all over India. I was reading just the other day around 3lakh have been temporarily detained for the elections. 150 is practically nothing! :disagree:
Scores of BJP, Congress, SP, BSP etc party workers have been detained for the duration of the elections. This is normal.

The procedure of detention is also according to the protocol. First the summons is provided and if the detainee does not comply he is picked up from his place. This is slightly twisted here -
“Those who do not attend police stations are being arrested during nocturnal raids.” There is no conspiracy here, nor is there an "arresting spree". This is protocol.

Trouble makers are detained in the entire country, JnK is no exception - this is according to the poll code as set by the Election Commission of India.

Thank you there for clearing the air:tup::tup::tup:

Apartheid???
Are you serious???
Kashmiris have their own constitution and flag.Kashmiri students get special quotas for studying in professional colleges all over India.They have some special laws which can not be challenged easily.
Apartheid??? :lol:

Please dear Levina, Kashmiris are an OCCUPIED People in India.

There are 750,000 + Security Forces in IOK.

Give me a Cotton Pickin Break.......

Last edited:
You mean the Muslim arab-wannabes. The other kashmiris have no problem. Simple. Those who have problem, get out of our country.

Please dear Levina, Kashmiris are an OCCUPIED People in India.

There are 750,000 + Security Forces in IOK.

Give me a Cotton Pickin Break.......

They can join you if they like.

@SarthakGanguly are you also an OCCUPIED kashmiri??

And please dear Pakistanisage, "apartheid" is a word that would suit some westerner and using it in context of Kashmiris was completely illogical and preposterous.
Yes of course - mere upar zulm ho rha hain :pissed: I want Independent Principality of Anantnag :D
:sarcastic:

Source please :coffee::coffee::coffee:
Come on - don't worry - now even they don't believe that joke :haha:
But I want AFSPA removed now :agree:

@[B]SarthakGanguly[/B] are you also an OCCUPIED kashmiri??

And please dear Pakistanisage, "apartheid" is a word that would suit some westerner and using it in context of Kashmiris was completely illogical and preposterous.

Someone with a last name Ganguly is a KASHMIRI ?

Sounds more like a Bengali than Kashmiri...... :partay:

Back
Top Bottom