What's new

India donates 2,500 tonnes of wheat as food aid to Yemen

illusion8

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
November 24, 2013

Dubai: India has donated 2,500 metric tonnes of wheat worth USD 2 million as food assistance to the troubled Gulf state of Yemen.

In response to an appeal by the United Nations for humanitarian assistance, the Indian government has extended food assistance in the form of around 2,500 metric tonnes of wheat valued at around USD 2 million to the people of Yemen, a statement issued by the Indian embassy in Yemeni capital of Sana'a said.

The assistance is channelised through the World Food Programme (WFP) and the first consignment has arrived at the Hodeidah Port.

The consignment was handed over formally to the WFP by Mridul Kumar, Head of Gulf Division in the Ministry of External Affairs, during a brief ceremony, which was attended by senior Yemeni government officials.

"We are grateful to the government and people of India for providing this timely donation and we highly appreciate cooperation between WFP and India in delivering assistance to those in need," Yemen's Minister of Planning and International cooperation Mohammed Al-Saadi said.

Yemeni first Deputy Minister said that "this donation marks yet another milestone in the long and historic relationship between Yemen and India."

"WFP will be able to provide life-saving assistance to 121,300 people for the next six months. This critical support will help alleviate the suffering caused by food insecurity across the country," Bishow Parajuli, WFP country director, said.

November 24, 2013

Dubai: India has donated 2,500 metric tonnes of wheat worth USD 2 million as food assistance to the troubled Gulf state of Yemen.

In response to an appeal by the United Nations for humanitarian assistance, the Indian government has extended food assistance in the form of around 2,500 metric tonnes of wheat valued at around USD 2 million to the people of Yemen, a statement issued by the Indian embassy in Yemeni capital of Sana'a said.

The assistance is channelised through the World Food Programme (WFP) and the first consignment has arrived at the Hodeidah Port.

The consignment was handed over formally to the WFP by Mridul Kumar, Head of Gulf Division in the Ministry of External Affairs, during a brief ceremony, which was attended by senior Yemeni government officials.

"We are grateful to the government and people of India for providing this timely donation and we highly appreciate cooperation between WFP and India in delivering assistance to those in need," Yemen's Minister of Planning and International cooperation Mohammed Al-Saadi said.

Yemeni first Deputy Minister said that "this donation marks yet another milestone in the long and historic relationship between Yemen and India."

"WFP will be able to provide life-saving assistance to 121,300 people for the next six months. This critical support will help alleviate the suffering caused by food insecurity across the country," Bishow Parajuli, WFP country director, said.

Very nice gesture of India and a testimony of the two ancient civilizations 5000 year old common ties and the recent very good ties.
I want personally to thank India on this occasion.

One thing though which made me cringe.

Yemen is NOT a so-called "Gulf country" whatever that is. Yemen is not even bordering the Gulf (ffs!) but "only" the beautiful Red Sea and Arabian Sea.

Yemen is an Arab country located on the ARABIAN PENINSULA.

Likewise KSA is not a "Gulf country" - when only 200.000 of its citizens speak a Khalejii dialect and when only a small part of the country is bordering the Gulf - coastal areas of the Eastern Province.

Just a little rant to the ignorants. I hope the level of journalists world wide will improve because often it is extremely low regardless of the language used.

Last edited:
Good gesture by India.
Those who are about to pass sarcastic comment about India taking care of poor: India has lot of food grain, the godowns are running full, and food being wasted, and yes, poor are getting it for free or at dirt cheap price.
Why not help a friendly country in time of need, people remember this for long.

Good gesture but India has more poor people. It needs to feed its own first

Last edited:
Very nice gesture of India and a testimony of the two ancient civilizations 5000 year old common ties and the recent very good ties.
I want personally to thank India on this occasion.

One thing though which made me cringe.

Yemen is NOT a so-called "Gulf country" whatever that is. Yemen is not even bordering the Gulf (ffs!) but "only" the beautiful Red Sea and Arabian Sea.

Yemen is an Arab country located on the ARABIAN PENINSULA.

Likewise KSA is not a "Gulf country" - when only 200.000 of its citizens speak a Khalejii dialect and when only a small part of the country is bordering the Gulf - coastal areas of the Eastern Province.

Just a little rant to the ignorants. I hope the level of journalists world wide will improve because often it is extremely low regardless of the language used.

@Socrates, @illusion8, @notsuperstitious, @ranjeet

Thank you all for the gesture.

Yemen is fertile land and the land of the coffee, tea, fruits and vegetables but unfortunately there are a very rapidly growing population, corruption, instability, armed conflicts and WORST OF ALL the many agricultural areas are mostly used to grow the plant called khat which needs A LOT of water to grow. So Yemenis are destroying their own beautiful and ancient country even though outsiders are not helping either by the meddling.

This is not a overwhelming amount but nevertheless it is a very good gesture that I salute.

You will have to hear a lot for saying that lol

Not at all. In our charitable spirit we dont mind pakistanis making fun of indias poverty. After all we know pakistan is in the dumps but they too help other countries in need. Did u not send help to rich daddy china during earthquake? So if pakistanis feel good trashing india just because their country is a failed dump, who are we to grudge it?

Not at all. In our charitable spirit we dont mind pakistanis making fun of indias poverty. After all we know pakistan is in the dumps but they too help other countries in need. Did u not send help to rich daddy china during earthquake? So if pakistanis feel good trashing india just because their country is a failed dump, who are we to grudge it?

You know what you don't even have the decency to talk i didn't reply to you and neither did i bash India so refrain from replying to me in such a manner.

Good gesture but India has more poor people. It needs to feed its own first
What's ailing India is poor post harvest management not the lack of actual harvest. It's a crime of highest order to let food grains rot in the warehouses. Other than that .... my eyes welled up after seeing how much you care for our poor people. :cry::enjoy:

Thank you all for the gesture.

Yemen is fertile land and the land of the coffee, tea, fruits and vegetables but unfortunately there are a very rapidly growing population, corruption, instability, armed conflicts and WORST OF ALL the many agricultural areas are mostly used to grow the plant called khat which needs A LOT of water to grow. So Yemenis are destroying their own beautiful and ancient country even though outsiders are not helping either by the meddling.

This is not a overwhelming amount but nevertheless it is a very good gesture that I salute.

We are glad GOI could assist a friendly country in the times of need. :enjoy:

Last edited:

Indian and Charity !
What B.S !

Here in KSA, indians are known for their miserly behavior.

How many mallu families can you fit in a two room apartment ?
Answer, 2 families, along with children.

On Topic, Indian wheat is heavily GM , and of very low quality.

Indian and Charity !
What B.S !

Here in KSA, indians are known for their miserly behavior.

How many mallu families can you fit in a two room apartment ?
Answer, 2 families, along with children.

On Topic, Indian wheat is heavily GM , and of very low quality.

The gesture is a good gesture. No two ways about it. India or not. One should be able to applaud a good gesture. If this was Iran I would say the same. Or Israel. Or someone else.

The gesture is a good gesture. No two ways about it. India or not. One should be able to applaud a good gesture. If this was Iran I would say the same. Or Israel. Or someone else.

We have a saying from where I belong,
You are what you eat.

So, Eat indian, be indian.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom