What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

Any idea on who made the catamaran waterbuses (and was it in India)? I saw a video which showed them being unloaded from a ship via crane.
As per my understanding, these are 50 seater fully air-conditioned, battery-powered electric ferries and are manufactured by the local Cochin Shipyard Limited. 23 in total are ordered currently with option for further orders. They also built the indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant, which is to be formally commissioned into IN later this year (August). Quite competent I would say - you may look them up.

Something to ponder - your figures in India are worse than that of Bangladesh now. Even with far less expenditure in healthcare and education. Just saying.

Don't know how it jives with the common Hindutva trope, "Muslims breed like rabbits...."

Demographic MeasureIndiaBangladesh
Population growth rate1.04% (2021 est.)0.95% (2021 est.)
Life expectancy at birthtotal population: 70.03 years

male: 68.71 years

female: 71.49 years (2021 est.)
total population: 74.43 years

male: 72.25 years

female: 76.7 years (2021 est.)
Total fertility rate2.28 children born/woman (2021 est.)2.1 children born/woman (2021 est.)

FIkBFPfVcAAp1JP

This is a tree very common in the US suburban areas and comes in many shades and colors. They are called "Crepe Myrtle". Some varieties are smaller and some are quite resistant to temperature and humidity.
Sanghi’s never forgo the opportunity to jump onto “breeding like pigs” bandwagon.

That said, as you might know already - India’s replacement rate is 2.1 currently with most states already below the replacement level. The decline in replacement rate as been consistent irrespective of demography. Once the large BIMARU states also catch up (and they will over the next few years) we will see it going down still - may come down to ~1.8 in another decade.

As per my understanding, these are 50 seater fully air-conditioned, battery-powered electric ferries and are manufactured by the local Cochin Shipyard Limited. 23 in total are ordered currently with option for further orders. They also built the indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant, which is to be formally commissioned into IN later this year (August). Quite competent I would say - you may look them up.

Thanks for the information!

Yes we need a few for the Dhaka transport situation within the city (Hatirjheel, Sadarghat) as well as for down in the main port city in Chittagong. Currently the capacity is inadequate and the craft not safe enough as they are "Water-Taxis" and not "Water-buses".

Hatirjheel WaterTaxi

Similar catamaran waterbuses exist in other countries as well. However I am sure the Kochin-made ones will be cheaper than the ones imported from developed countries

Holland
iu

Japan
iu

Myanmar (Yangon)
iu

Thanks for the information!

Yes we need a few for the Dhaka transport situation within the city (Hatirjheel, Sadarghat) as well as for down in the main port city in Chittagong. Currently the capacity is inadequate and the craft not safe enough as they are "Water-Taxis" and not "Water-buses".

Hatirjheel WaterTaxi

Similar catamaran waterbuses exist in other countries as well. However I am sure the Kochin-made ones will be cheaper than the ones imported from developed countries

Holland
iu

Japan
iu

Myanmar (Yangon)
iu
Absolutely. Given the numerous water bodies that run through Dhaka, it would make sense to have something similar to what KMRL has been able to build in Kochi. Kochi had a similar water transportation situation as you mentioned - congested and unsafe -until few years back when it was revamped altogether as part Kochi Metro Rail project. Cost was the primary reason why they decided to go with local manufacturing instead of western options - primarily to make the project financially feasible and sustainable over time. It has now built a system which people use daily and actually works!

A correction to my post earlier - CSL (Cochin Shipyard Limited) has already built and delivered 23 of these ferries apparently and 55 more in pipeline to be delivered by EOY. It also has an export order from Norway it seems. Good days ahead.

Must Read -

The new terminal of Trichy Airport is costing Rs 951 crore for which PM Modi laid the foundation stone in 2019.

75 percent work of the airport expansion project is complete and the new terminal will be ready by April 2023.

JU0jNpxc

India is the third largest primary energy consumer in the world after China and the US.

Under construction Gas pipelines in India.

nG7qVKA8

9 km long Atal Tunnel which connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley throughout the year is adjudged as ‘Best Infrastructure Project’ by the Indian Building Congress.

WfzzHXmc

Have travelled to almost a third of them. Pictures make them look too good.
Know the whole lot, and it feels really good. I live in a quiet pocket of Hyderabad/Secunderabad, and going into the main city, some 15 kms away, is like taking a trip to the city from a township. The best thing is that this government is pretty evenly balanced socially AND professionally; no communal violence, except for one monkey's threats, that he utters from very safe surroundings, and excellent administration (there are blemishes; the horrible execution of three murderers of a young woman in an 'encounter' was one of them). I don't know any other state that has our balance, OK, Tamil Nadu, perhaps.

Bimaru states (no offence) need it, rest have already controlled their population.
That's why the BIMARU are BIMARU (offence intended). The rest of the world looks at them and wonders.

Surat Diamond Bourse, under construction.
I don't know if people realise that Amsterdam depends on Surat.

Back
Top Bottom