What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

Hyderabad outer Ring Road

47273530064993335054760.jpg

20012012786.jpg

What cars are raplacing the Padminis?

Some thing like this.An inexpensive but good looking Sedan.Especially cars with large boot, the best shoulder and leg room for five adults and preferably an economical diesel engine.

merucab.jpg

Maruti esteem

renault-logan-taxi.jpg

Renault Logan

2623555339_5daebba48f_o.jpg

TabCabMumbai.jpg

But car companies are not very keen on providing cars to cab companies.They believe it will devalue their brand.

But car companies are not very keen on providing cars to cab companies.They believe it will devalue their brand.

Mate, I doubt car companies will forgo MASSIVE orders and significant after sales support just to maintain their brand image. They may not see it as an ideal situation but they're not going to say "no" to cold hard cash, are they?

+ can you tell me- how widespread are such taxis becoming in Mumbai especially in replacing the Padminis?

I have heard the TATA ARIA is being lined up to be the next major taxi car in India. TATA have brought out a completly stripped down version minus many of the luxerious but still retaining comfort like rear ac vents, key-less entry and comfy seating.
Taxi version:

Tata-Aria-Taxi-Cab.jpg

It is unlikely to replace the Ambassador or padmini 1:1 but in large numbers it would be a welcom taxi on Indian streets for sure.

I don't think a 4x4 SUV is suitable for Taxi cab.They might be planning to use them for rent a car service for tourists.SUVs are simply not economical to be used as taxis.

Mate, I doubt car companies will forgo MASSIVE orders and significant after sales support just to maintain their brand image. They may not see it as an ideal situation but they're not going to say "no" to cold hard cash, are they?

+ can you tell me- how widespread are such taxis becoming in Mumbai especially in replacing the Padminis?

Image is also important.Car companies market their car as family sedans.Taxi cars of big cities always have a cult image.When you hear Ford Crown Victoria first thing comes to your mind is yellow cabs .That's why no one except taxi drivers bought those cars.let me ask you,Will you buy a car that look likes a Taxi??

There are some newly formed private cab companies operating in Mumbai.Here is a good read about Mumbai taxis.

http://travel.cnn.com/mumbai/play/city-essentials/best-mumbai-taxi-services-110040

What really happened was that there was a lot of hue and cry in delhi round 2007-08 against the so called "Killer Blue Line" buses. A lot of national dailies pursued the topic and after that Shiela Dikshit's govt woke up and replaced them with new spanking low floor buses.
Thats what really happened in Delhi and maybe smthing like that is needed in Mumbai

Back
Top Bottom