What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

NSG, someone said you are familiar with India's energy sector. Question for you: India stated that there's a lot of unexplored potential in India. And assuming their have the drilling rigs and technology, why have much of India been unexplored and they need foreign oil majors to come and explore???

I think your query has been answered by Choco. I want to thank Choco for answering your query.. Have you heard about bombay High?
It is India's largest offshore oil field. Situated some 161 km north of the Mumbai coast, Bombay High has a string of oil and gas rigs in the sea that pumps oil to the coast. It produces 14 per cent of India's oil requirements and accounts for 38 per cent of all domestic production. So bombay high is operated by ONGC. But due to wrong policies of successive Indian Govt there was no big Oil & Gas discoveries in India. But from 2000 onwards thing improved a lot. We have some great discoveries in KG- basin and in Rajasthan.
One more thing could you please let me know one of any big Oil and Gas exploration project where a particular company holds 100% stake. These days there are a consortium of companies involed in Oil exploration. Where the stake of a comp can be 10% to 40%.

GSPC to invest $1.7 bn in K-G basin gas field

Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation (GSPC), a petroleum and gas company owned by the Gujarat government, plans to invest $1.7 billion in the development of its offshore Deendayal gas field in the Krishna-Godvari (K-G) basin off the coast of Andhra Pradesh in the Bay of Bengal.
The company on 18th June 2009 submitted a field development plan (FDP) for 12-13 square kilometre area in the KG/OSN/2001/3 block to upstream regulator Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH). “They will drill 15 wells and expect to start gas production by 2012,” V K Sibal, director general, DGH told Business Standard. The plateau production (when the field produces the maximum) will be from the seventh year onwards and would last till the fourteenth year. “The wells have indicative reserves of 2 trillion cubic feet of gas,” Sibal said adding that the company had invested around $1 billion in the exploration phase.

Hebbal flyover , Bangalore

Hebbal flyover is constructed by the Bangalore Development Authority in a record 24 months. The length of this flyover is 5.25 km. The flyover has 19 spans and 25 segments, each weighing about 50 tonnes. This was also the longest flyover in the country with five loops providing access to vehicles, and it had two carriageways with six lanes.

b41c3ab2193b8d0ebce56bf1dc48767d.jpg

Attachments

• Herbal Interchange at bangalore.jpg
    Herbal Interchange at bangalore.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 16
Meet Amitabha Sadangi, a businessman who gave up wealth and fortune to tackle irrigation and poverty in India.

Amitabha Sadangi's vision is to empower the rural poor with affordable, sustainable agricultural technologies. He has been a leader in creating an Indian strategy and organization to disseminate technologies developed by International Development Enterprises (India).

Foot treadle irrigation pumps and low-cost drip systems introduced by IDE (India) have helped 400,000 families double their income, a net gain of more than $40 million per year. A signature element of the IDE (India) strategy is a "supply chain" of local manufacturers, distributors and installers who earn $1 million annually. IDE (India) has sold irrigation systems to the poorest families for as little as $1, enabling them to have more food and earn more money and, thus, afford better health care and education.

Last edited by a moderator:
NSG, someone said you are familiar with India's energy sector. Question for you: India stated that there's a lot of unexplored potential in India. And assuming their have the drilling rigs and technology, why have much of India been unexplored and they need foreign oil majors to come and explore???

Answer might be in the question itself. Why has the USA not yet drilled all its OIL ? Alsaska has huge reserves.

By the way exploring and drilling is in indias Heritage itself. We have learned from the british a lot.

Soon after Edwin Drake drilled the world's first oil well in 1859 at Titusville, Pennsylvania, USA, history chronicles another exploratory effort in search of the black liquid gold, across continents.
In the 1860s, sub surface oil exploration activities started in the dense jungles of Assam in north-east India and in March 1867, oil was struck in the well drilled near Makum, Assam. This was the first successful mechanically drilled well in Asia.The first commercial discovery of crude oil in the country was, however, made in 1889 at Digboi,Assam when a group of gallant oilmen erected a 20 meter high thatch covered wooden structure at the head of the Brahmaputra valley.This was the begining of oil exploration in asia.

Digboi oilfields are over 100 years old and still producing. It was sole supplier of oil to the nation till independence. Asia's first refinery was set up at Digboi in Assam in 1901.

Assam Oil Company Ltd. (AOC) was one of the earliest enterprises in the world engaged in exploration and production of oil. Oil was discovered in Assam by Assam Railway & Trading Company (Originally formed with the object of drilling for oil, later on Assam Oil Company was created to carry out exploration work in Assam and adjoining areas)

After Independence the national oil companies Oil and Natural gas Corp, Oil india Ltd, Indian oil corp were created with the experience of the heritage companies. Towards the end of the centuries Private companies started exploration in KG basin , Bombay high etc.
While ONGC and OIL focused on drilling , IOCL was doing marketing.

So exploration by indian companies never ended.

Oil India ltd has over 1 lakh sq km of PEL/ML areas for its exploration and production activities, most of it in the Indian North East, which accounts for its entire crude oil production and majority of gas production. Rajasthan is the other producing area of OIL, contributing 10 per cent of its total gas production.Additionally, OIL’s exploration activities are spread over onshore areas of Ganga Valley and Mahanadi. OIL also has participating interest in NELP exploration blocks in Mahanadi Offshore, Mumbai Deepwater, Krishna Godavari Deepwater, etc. as well as various overseas projects in Libya, Gabon, Iran, Nigeria and Sudan.

ONGC besides its domestic exploration and drilling is doing explorartion and drilling in Myanmar,Russia, Turkmenistan, Vietnam , Iran, Iraq, Syria, Congo Brazzaville, Egypt, Libya, Nigeria, Nigeria Sao Tome & Principe,sudan, Brazil, colombia, cuba, venezuela, trinadad & tobago etc.

ONGC Videsh Limited ::. The International Petroleum Company of India
ONGC :: Our Company :: History
Oil India Limited
Welcome to Assam Gas Company Ltd.

The sad truth is that there are not many oil reserves in India.
I know as i am a Reservoir (Petroleum) engineer.
There is enough gas but not much of oil.
You will see more gas being found in India rather than oil.
GOI is not really interested in gas..it wants oil ..oil accounts to 40% of india's import.GOI opened up its the E&D dept for oil and gas by dismantling APM (Administrative price mechanism ) and introducing MDP (Market determined price) and also NELP (New exploration licensing policy)

I can talk more on it if some one wants to know the details

Oil is found in Assam, bombay high, Parts of mahanadi basin in orrissa, Heavy oil in rajasthan a few wells here and there.

Due to this India imports crude oil.

This is the reason why GOI companies like ONGC and OIL have formed a videsh arm
OVL and OILVL

The stipulation is the oil they discover abroad will be brought to India for refining.

We have a big refining capacity.There more refineries coming up ...HPCL Bhatinda...IOCL Beena and one is being made by essar or crain ..can't remember where.

O by the way alsaka is thoroughly drilled ....

HI FRIENDS I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD FROM THE START,though I am a new member,i have been following this forum since 6 months,& i would try to post some info but i am busy now,but would still try.NSG U R DOING A GRT JOB BUDDY.

Fab City, Hardware Park Hydrabad

India's first micro-processor and silicon chip manufacturing
facility, which is estimated to pump in $3bn and to create 5,000 jobs by 2009 and up to 1.4 million jobs by 2016 in 200 ancillary industries. The project is being developed in an extent of 1200 acres at Hyderabad promoted by M/s SemIndia, headed by Vinod Agarwal, is a consortium of investors including Government. Assembly-Test-Mark-Pack (ATMP) Plant is being setup and will be grounded soon. AMD and SemIndia will jointly develop and market semiconductor solutions for India. With the announcement of policy on semiconductors by the Government of India, huge investments
associated with employment in skilled and semiskilled category is expected.

HI FRIENDS I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD FROM THE START,though I am a new member,i have been following this forum since 6 months,& i would try to post some info but i am busy now,but would still try.NSG U R DOING A GRT JOB BUDDY.

Thanks for your appreciation.

Tata Bus manufaturing plant Karnataka

Tata-Marcopolo Motors Ltd has began commercial production of high-tech buses at its Dharwad plant in north Karnataka.The joint venture between Pune-based Tata Motors and Marcopolo of Brazil was formed to roll out a range of world-class intra-city and inter-city buses from the Rs.2-billion (Rs.200 crore) plant, with an installed capacity of 30,000 units per annum, the company said in a statement from Mumbai.
The 123-acre plant at Dharwad will meet India’s growing need for fully built buses for intra-city and inter-city transportation with international standard comfort, quality and safety, it noted.
The range, to be marketed under ‘Starbus’ and ‘Globus’ brands, includes 16- to 54-seater standard buses, 18- and 45-seater luxury buses, luxury coaches and low-floor city buses.
In fiscal 2009-10, the first full year of operation, production will be up to 15,000 units. The plant, at full capacity, will generate about 6,500 direct jobs. It will be supported by a vendor park.

469c9f75f86380706e908b81100a5120.jpg

495db37212482384209cd2c90612caac.jpg

28 seater

0cd304f78398e16bddd6a0d8c7862c3a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom