What's new

India designs World's first Thorium based Nuclear Reactor

Can anyone tell me how many nuclear reactors we are making Indigenoulsy???

Nuclear reactors could be research/experimental reactors , prototype , full scale commercial reactors ...

well majority of our research reactors today are indigenous .... India has few foreign build commercial reactors ...by Russia. e.g. kalpakkam ....rest all are indegenius so far ....

Your question is very broad based to begin with ...

Thorium is one fissile material which might safely be used in civil installations for power generation. This is just the beginning of the next big revolution. This might change the course of our nation, like the "Industrial Revolution" changed things in Europe, or like discovery of Oil changed the economy of Arab nations.

Nuclear reactors could be research/experimental reactors , prototype , full scale commercial reactors ...

well majority of our research reactors today are indigenous .... India has few foreign build commercial reactors ...by Russia. e.g. kalpakkam ....rest all are indegenius so far ....

Your question is very broad based to begin with ...
Ok how many reactors(commercial +military) we are building or plan to build??

Can anyone tell me how many nuclear reactors we are making Indigenoulsy???
india-nuclear-power.jpg

Ok how many reactors(commercial +military) we are building or plan to build??

Only 14 reactors have been placed under IAEA safeguards ...
They are for civilian purpose.

rest all outside purview of IAEA can be used for military purpose ...that's why they are not under IAEA in first place .

Power station reactors[edit]
For more information: Electricity in India[21]
NameLocationTypeRating, MWeStatus
Tarapur Atomic Power StationTarapur, MaharashtraBWR160Operational October 1969-
BWR160Operational October 1969-
PHWR540Operational August 2006-
PHWR540Operational September 2005-
Rajasthan Atomic Power StationRawatbhata, RajasthanPHWR90Operational December 1973-
PHWR187Operational April 1981-
PHWR202Operational June 2000-
PHWR202Operational December 2000-
PHWR202Operational December 22, 2009
PHWR202Operational March 28, 2010
PHWR700Under construction[22]
PHWR700Under construction
Madras Atomic Power StationKalpakkam, Tamil NaduPHWR170Operational January 1984-
PHWR220Operational March 1986-
Narora Atomic Power StationNarora, Uttar PradeshPHWR220Operational January 1991-
PHWR220Operational July 1992-
Kakrapar Atomic Power StationKakrapar, GujaratPHWR220Operational May 1993-
PHWR220Operational September 1995-
Kaiga Atomic Power StationKaiga, KarnatakaPHWR220Operational November 2000-
PHWR220Operational March 2000-
PHWR220Operational May 2007-
PHWR220Operational January 2011-
Koodankulam Nuclear Power PlantKudankulam, Tamil NaduVVER1000Operational July 2013
VVER1000Under construction, on line TBD
Prototype Fast Breeder ReactorKalpakkam, Tamil NaduFBR500Under construction
Total Capacity6,730 MWe

Research and production reactors[edit]
  • Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC) – Trombay
    • Apsara reactor – 1 MWT, pool type, light water moderated, enriched uranium fuel supplied by France
    • CIRUS reactor – 40 MWT, supplied by Canada, heavy water moderated, uses natural uranium fuel
    • Dhruva reactor – 100 MWT, heavy water moderated, uses natural uranium fuel
    • Purnima series
  • Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research (IGCAR) – Kalpakkam

Last edited:
@Indo-guy
The pic you posted says that we are building only 6 reactors???
With total cappacity of only 48oo megawatts??

Are we counting AHWR and 6 other FBR's???

@Indo-guy
The pic you posted says that we are building only 6 reactors???
With total cappacity of only 48oo megawatts??

Are we counting AHWR and 6 other FBR's???

No it does not include AHWR and 6 other FBR's ....they have not been officially approved yet or haven't commenced construction yet ...

Last edited:
Well from conceptualization - > design approval -> Governmental approval to actual beginning of construction is a long technical and bureaucratic process ...

I don't know at what exact stage this project is ....
Thanks for replying every time,you have cleared all my doubts. :)

Thanks for replying every time,you have cleared all my doubts. :)

Our Naval Nuclear reactors - the one of which went critical recently for INS Arihant ...is also a military nuclear reactor ...which is not counted anywhere ....

similarly other naval nuclear reactor is being fabricated ...

If you have time and energy you can read following US State department document...it's quite informative

http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/78421.pdf

Our Naval Nuclear reactors - the one of which went critical recently for INS Arihant ...is also a military nuclear reactor ...which is not counted anywhere ....

similarly other naval nuclear reactor is being fabricated ...

If you have time and energy you can read following US State department document...it's quite informative

http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/78421.pdf

There was a news that the next gen naval reactor for follow up bigger SSBNs around 150-200 MW is already in development .

Any link for that .

Very interested in the subject.

I'm posting here now, so i won't lose the thread.

There was a news that the next gen naval reactor for follow up bigger SSBNs around 150-200 MW is already in development .

Any link for that .

as far as I knew even INS Aridaman is supposed to have same 83 Mwt PWR similar to INS Arihant ...

I have no information about 150-200 MW next generation nuclear reactor ...I tried searching but didn't get any more information. will post once I get the information. thanks ...

Nuclear power received special mention in the budget speech. This underlines the Indian government’s commitment to go ahead with nuclear power despite the Fukushima problems and protests by environmentalists. India is building on its collaboration with the United States, Australia and Russia, for nuclear technology and fuel. Unit one of the Kundankulam project in Tamil Nadu is now critical, and the fast breeder reactor at Kalpakkam power project is near completion, he said. The country hopes to have 10,080 MW of nuclear power by 2017. FM says we currently have 7 nuclear reactors under construction! :coffee:

Read more at: Budget 2014: Not just auto, energy sector gets a fillip too | Firstpost

as far as I knew even INS Aridaman is supposed to have same 83 Mwt PWR similar to INS Arihant ...

I have no information about 150-200 MW next generation nuclear reactor ...I tried searching but didn't get any more information. will post once I get the information. thanks ...

Not the Arihant class subs but the follow on from S5 .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom