What's new

India could buy up to 189 French Rafale fighter jets: sources

Does anyone have any information of accessories and stores that are being purchased along with the planes. AAM, Pods, Jammers etc would certainly be purchased but are they being negotiated separately? If if one adds costs of these items, the deal could well run above $ 20 Billion.

If we are going for 189 or 220 Rafes then why did we go for M2k updation? We could have bought more rafes with that cost.

Any news about the M2k upgradation? billion $ deal was signed, did MICAs entered South Asian skies?

Doesnt IAF squadrons consist of 18 fighters each..?

France will deliver knocked down kits, HAL will assemble them in India.

I dont think so...France will provide the tech to make every part of Rafale in India...the question is what about the future upgrades ??

I don't think he meant that as a joke. IAF squadrons have 21 fighters each, hence the orders are in multiple of 21?

thank u.
well u see this is why i joined pdf.to learn more about defence.thx again.

Old News, There was a news piece to buy as 126+optional 74 now the number could be as many as 126+64 most likely combined 4 squadrons of Mig-27/Jaguars would be replaced with those additional Rafales.

Saner move, mig-27s are very vulnerable at low levels in modern highly SAM centric environment both in Pakistan-China.

Saner move, mig-27s are very vulnerable at low levels in modern highly SAM centric environment both in Pakistan-China.

Mig 27s are reaching the end of their service lives anyway.

Why are rafales more survivable in such an environment? Lower RCS? Better countermeasures? Better ability to perform evasive maneuvers from SAMs? (And is that really significant?)

Doesnt IAF squadrons consist of 18 fighters each..?

Depends on the type, some have upto 21, some have only 16. The MKIs have only 16 per squadron, since they are all twin seaters, and don't need dedicated two seat trainers. On an average, I think there are 18 per squadron. The odd number of orders could be because a few may be kept as attrition reserves, or deputed to TACDE, or both.

Back
Top Bottom