What's new

India considering lease of second Russian nuclear submarine

This deal is much more better then to lease 2 kilo class submaries

Hearing news of second Akula being leased. Can anybody confirm this?

Our current Chakra lease is about come to an end this year, so we can expect either the lease to be renewed or getting a new one on lease. I don't expect us to have two leased nuke subs at the same time:D

Yes, that is what I am assuming too. Just wanted confirmation on what the plan is.

Our current Chakra lease is about come to an end this year, so we can expect either the lease to be renewed or getting a new one on lease. I don't expect us to have two leased nuke subs at the same time:D
Last time I checked, the lease was for 10 years, 2012 to 2022.

This deal is much more better then to lease 2 kilo class submaries

Yes we can put K 4 in it. Our threat perception do not extend beyond 4000 KM from our soil and sea. If we go for indigeneous nuke boomer, it will be much more costlier than we leased from Russia. Better to go for a lease for one more sub.

Hearing news of second Akula being leased. Can anybody confirm this?

Yes, that is what I am assuming too. Just wanted confirmation on what the plan is.

Thanks for pointing out bro, I was mistaken:drag:

@surya kiran : So if the reports are true, we'll be operating two nuke subs on lease!

Knowing the Indian media, If this is true it would have been there all over the news...... I doubt......

That would be something. 2 Akulas + 2 Arihants.

India to lease second Russian nuclear submarine

India has started negotiations with Russia seeking to lease the nuclear submarine K-322 Kashalot ("sperm whale") of the Project 971 “Shchuka-B” Class, reports “Interfax” citing a source in the Russian military-industrial complex. If the parties sign this agreement before the end of 2015, this ship could be delivered to the customer already in 2018.

According to the news agency’s source, before the submarine is leased out, it will be modernized in accordance with the requirements of the Indian Navy. This work would be performed at the Amur Shipyard, where the K-322 is berthed today. In total, the modernization of the Kashalot, running it through all the tests, and training of Indian crew should take about three years. The Indian Ministry of Defense is looking at leasing the nuclear submarine for a period of ten years.

The fact that India was considering the possibility of renting this Project 971 submarine came to light in December 2014. That is when the Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said that his ministry was considering two options: the extension of the lease on the Chakra K-152 “Nepra” Class Project 971 submarine or renting a second ship of this project – the “Shchuka-B”. At that time, Mr. Parrikar did not mention any concrete deadlines for this decision.

It was also reported that the Indian military establishment was also interested in the possibility of renting the Project 971I “Irbis” Class submarine, which was started back in 1994. Readiness of this ship, bearing the serial number 519, is estimated at 46-48 percent. At the time the construction work was frozen in the Amur shipyard in 2011, the pressure hull of the submarine has already been formed. Earlier, India had declared its readiness to consider funding the completion of this submarine and its subsequent lease.

Currently, the Indian Navy operates the “Chakra” submarine, built in Russia based on the 971 “Shchuka-B” project. The agreement to lease the ship was signed in 2004, and is worth about $980 million (with the initial price being set at $650 million). Delivery of this ship to the customer experiences constant delays; in the contract of 2004, it was assumed that India would receive the “Chakra” in 2008

First published in Russian by Lenta.ru.

India to lease second Russian nuclear submarine | Russia & India Report

Kashalot is an old sub. So the Iribis is out or is that going to be third one ?

^ are you sure ? SSNs can't be bought or sold as per international treaties..
these days most international rules and treaties are being twisted for India...Either you should be very strong or you should be very clean..India is becoming strong and has a clean image and on top of that, we are in the good books of all major and minor powers... So, if we want, we can get it !

Back
Top Bottom