What's new

India-China rivalry

Here comes most enlightened one ..People are funny

Again. We have to stop this cycle of accusations, counter-accusations. This is the reason I never reply to such things. Please my countrymen, extend your hand. Only friendship can change people.

This is a biased (as opposed to random) sample. One should not extrapolate anything from an unrepresentative sample.

If you were to visit Chinese internet forums you would not find hatred toward India. What you will find is indifference and a fair amount of amusement about India's love of grandiose pronouncements. Right or wrong, this is how Chinese netizens tend to look at India.
Don't know why you always say something not true.

The irony is that you mostly clash with myself (a Hong Konger) as well as Overseas Chinese on this forum.

Neither one fits the description you've given above.
Thats a change , thats so unlike CD with out bringing up Forward policy,Indian Military internal report on 62.:-)

In the eyes of most Chinese, Indians are not seen as rivals and aren't really regarded much at all to the average Chinese person.

The West love to blow wind up India and artificially manufacture them as the main challenger to China, that they so badly want, because there's not really anyone else they can pin their hopes on. Of course, Indians crave to be taken seriously as a legitimate global power, and they lap up all the hype Western media heap on them. The West have been trying to do this for the last few decades, in hope that this willing of India to be the Asian power they want, becomes reality. However, the truth is that India has consistently fallen behind China, further and further, in almost all departments. Nothing I see from reading the respective developments of China and India is going to change the current trend. If anything, I can only see China opening up the gap even further and faster than before, and even overtaking the Americans faster than anybody can currently imagine.

India is progressing as a country but it is at India's pace and there is nothing wrong with that. But China's development is just on another stratosphere to anything that has ever occurred in the history of mankind and no country should feel embarrassed about being left in the shade of the re-emerging dragon. China was the most important centre of trade and culture for millennia and it is re-establishing itself after the blip of the last few centuries. These centuries of humiliation for the Chinese people have made them stronger than ever and now they have learned the important lesson to never underestimate an adversary and never ever become complacent and weak again.

China may not see India as a peer rival, but I'm sure they will treat India with every bit of respect that they deserve.

Last edited:
In the eyes of most Chinese, Indians are not seen as rivals and aren't really regarded much at all to the average Chinese person.

The West love to blow wind up India and artificially manufacture them as the main challenger to China, that they so badly want, because there's not really anyone else they can pin their hopes on. Of course, Indians crave to be taken seriously as a legitimate global power, and they lap up all the hype Western media heap on them. The West have been trying to do this for the last few decades, in hope that this willing of India to be the Asian power they want, becomes reality. However, the truth is that India has consistently fallen behind China, further and further, in almost all departments. Nothing I see from reading the respective developments of China and India is going to change the current trend. If anything, I can only see China opening up the gap even further and faster than before, and even overtaking the Americans faster than anybody can currently imagine.

India is progressing as a country but it is at India's pace and there is nothing wrong with that. But China's development is just on another stratosphere to anything that has ever occurred in the history of mankind and no country should feel embarrassed about being left in the shade of the re-emerging dragon. China was the most important centre of trade and culture for millennia and it is re-establishing itself after the blip of the last few centuries. These centuries of humiliation for the Chinese people have made them stronger than ever and now they have learned the important lessen to never underestimate an adversary and never ever become complacent and weak again.

China may not see India as a peer rival, but I'm sure they will treat India with every bit of respect that they deserve.
You just bring up so called West which really an old concept.

The irony is that you mostly clash with myself (a Hong Konger) as well as Overseas Chinese on this forum.

Neither one fits the description you've given above.

I am not talking about individual wealth, I am talking about the national wealth.

India is progressing as a country but it is at India's pace and there is nothing wrong with that. But China's development is just on another stratosphere to anything that has ever occurred in the history of mankind and no country should feel embarrassed about being left in the shade of the re-emerging dragon. China was the most important centre of trade and culture for millennia and it is re-establishing itself after the blip of the last few centuries. These centuries of humiliation for the Chinese people have made them stronger than ever and now they have learned the important lesson to never underestimate an adversary and never ever become complacent and weak again.

An excellent post. 100% agree with you.

There is no rivalry it's the Western and Indian media that keep hyping it.

Most Chinese did not have an unfavorable view of India until they saw Indians making negative comments about Chinese and China. The CPC pushed India in a positive light however when they actually meet Indians views turned negative. Whose fault do you think that is ?

The negativity from the other side comes from Anger, Jealously, Butt hurt over things like losing 1962, China economy, Military achievements, aiding Pakistan etc etc.

However there is no ill will or racism directed toward ordinary people, there are many Indians in China that come for studying and treated as any other person would be. This is an internet forum, don't take the internet or people on it seriously.

Why don't you tell us whose fault it is? Or maybe I can tag you to the comments of your compatriots in threads related to India for a better understanding, Indians wouldn't survive 5 minutes in Chinese defence and foreign affairs sections if they do 1/10th of the nuisence that Chinese members create in Indian defence and foreign affairs sections everyday.

I don't know about you, but I had no opinion, either positive or negative, about the Chinese before joining this forum, I believe it is the same for most Indians.

Why don't you tell us whose fault it is? Or maybe I can tag you to the comments of your compatriots in threads related to India for a better understanding, Indians wouldn't survive 5 minutes in Chinese defence and foreign affairs sections if they do 1/10th of the nuisence that Chinese members create in Indian defence and foreign affairs sections everyday.

I don't know about you, but I had no opinion, either positive or negative, about the Chinese before joining this forum, I believe it is the same for most Indians.

Chinese point of view it would be Indians, I don't have moderation or control of any section outside of the Far east or Chinese defense, if Chinese members troll/derail threads related to India they should bear the consequences, however I could tag along similar posts from Indians, including you're self most recently. End of the day no ones innocent.

Like I said it's the internet don't take it seriously, personally don't care if you hate or like China, but this is what I have observed and seen.

Thank You!
That's quite a good explanation and perfectly logical as well.

Actually China has been very important for India and its consciousness from the very start. I know for a fact that normal Chinese don't think as much about India, and hold no specific feelings towards India, especially not that of hostility. I was very surprised that the feelings here towards India are very very hostile, much more hostile than even say the United States.

Let me tell you the evolution of the feelings of Indians regarding Chinese.

1. Indians consider themselves (at least the vast majority) to be the descendants of ancient culture and Civilization which has always existed. We are similar to China in this sense that we associate ourselves with our past history a lot, and in our heart of hearts, many Indians still consider India (I'm not commenting on the correctness of this belief) to be an ancient civilization which was very very huge and successful, in no way lesser than Chinese Civilization, even better than them, which emcompassed a lot of land.
Then the Muslim invaders came, and laid havoc on our land, changed our religion, and caused great damage. After that the British came, and finally left a divided country.

2. Pakistan was born for Muslims based on 2-nation theory. Most Indians have trouble understanding it, and still consider it illegitimate, the division of the country. This has a lot of emotions attached to it. Not only this after the division Pakistan started out "occupying" Kashmir, something that is definitely ours. On top of that they regularly support all kinds of terrorists, and separatist movements in India. So Pakistan is the ultimate villain, not least because the country itself is considered illegitimate by many people, but when they see any terrorist attack which the whole media is swift in denouncing Pakistan for, the emotions are flamed. Media, Movies and everything surrounding re-enforces this thing.

3. Many Indians have this tendency (completely ridiculous, I know) of proclaiming deep connections, even ownership of lands that have Buddhism. They somehow think that people who are Buddhist should either belong to them, in kind of hegemonic way, ( like Tibet ), or be grateful to them.

4. Indian consciousness starts with the memory that our first Prime Minster wanted India and China to be serious friends, who gave the slogan of "Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai" ( Believe me this narrative is so strong that every Indian knows this. This means India China Brothers Brothers, and it rhymes in Hindi). They are told to believe that we tried doing a lot to establish friendship, even "gave up" Tibet to them, yet in 1962 they suddenly attacked and took away our land including Aksai Chin.

5. They consider this a big betrayal. On top of it they think that China is constantly helping their biggest enemy Pakistan, funding terrorists almost literally, which is terrible.

6. They see and meet Tibetans (meeting tibetans in exile though a rarity still happens. I myself have 2 Tibetan friends in my place of study), hear stories in which Tibetans proclaim how they have nothing to do with Chinese and they are closer to Indians which reinforces point 3 above. They also hear stories of missing Lamas, self-immolations and all kinds of stories reinforcing 7.

7. Media and other groups keep talking about China's conflicts with other countries. The whole media erupts like anything if there are border intrusions, as perceived by India (which are mainly because there is no well-defined borders, and hence can't really be considered intrusions, but who will explain it to normal folks?) or China claims Arunachal, and start playing up that. People get furious. Already the freedom loving brigade hasn't given a good name to China, this further portrays China as an expansionist empire which is oppressive.

8. Indian envy China, because as stated in opening, they don't consider themselves less, and hence get furious as well as jealous about the difference. Yet, they secretly admire and respect China and its acheivements and it is often presented as an example. Yet, the common narrative of a back-biting betrayal in 1962 still remains. Our humiliating loss further ashames us. I have seen this as a counter-intuitive thing in politics and relations that often it is the humiliating loss that is hard to forget and forgive for, rather than the victory. On top of that we see you helping our nemesis Pakistan, who is made us bleed on many occasions.

So in short these are the biggest reasons:
1. Help to Pakistan
2. Border disputes, and intrusions
3. Narrative of betrayal, and expansionism
4. Our own envy at being left behind

I know the narrative is incorrect, but this is what it is. I will also discuss in future posts how this was made up by
politicians and media, and how it is sustained. We need to work to get over this narrative.

Good analysis, I look forward to more conversations with you.

The problem with Indian is that they always get butthurt over trivial things and the fact they talk big which make them a fool in the eyes of the global community.

ordinary Chinese don't know much about India, or South Asia in general. 90% of our energy is spent on ourselves, Chinese internal issues.out of 10% that is left, US occupied at least 70% of Chinese attention, followed by Japan. India seldom appears on news. when it does show up, it's usually the translation of Western media.

the India China comparison is more about development model but except a billion people we almost have nothing in common.

so we are not rivals or enemies because Chinese (common folks) pay very little attention to India. it's pure indifference, no hatred, no love.we do have netizens making fun of India from time to time, but nothing 'antagonistic'.

the 'India China rivalry game' is West-invented, India-developed, now that we are in English forum (and a defense forum), Chinese simply play along.

P.S. i was shocked by the 'China obsession' in Indian media at first. why keep comparing India with China? why not use US or Europe as the benchmark?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom