What's new

India-China rivalry

Bussard Ramjet

Reaction score
Country
India
It's been a few months and I have seen a distinct level of "unfriendliness" ranging from outward hatred bordering on racism to more subtle ones in this forum. Before coming here, Indians obviously had an unfavorable even antagonistic view of Chinese, but they were never the enemies in the eyes of common Indian folks. While here, the hatred is way too intense and even personal, and not exclusive to any group i.e. hatred is mutual and well reciprocated from both sides.

I am a person, who having seen the blatant injustice of the international rules of the contemporary world against developing world, would want a comprehensive partnership between these two giants. Hence, keeping in with this vision, I would first like to know the problems and underlying reasons for hatred between the two groups. Being an Indian, I am well versed with the views and opinions of my folks. Though I also am aware of some complaints from my Chinese friends, I would like you to expound on those things.

Hence, please don't refrain from listing reasons behind your antagonism against India. I wouldn't mind to have any reason whatsoever, be it racist or otherwise.

Thanking You, and anticipating a good discussion here.

This is a biased (as opposed to random) sample. One should not extrapolate anything from an unrepresentative sample.

If you were to visit Chinese internet forums you would not find hatred toward India. What you will find is indifference and a fair amount of amusement about India's love of grandiose pronouncements. Right or wrong, this is how Chinese netizens tend to look at India.

This is a biased (as opposed to random) sample. One should not extrapolate anything from an unrepresentative sample.

If you were to visit Chinese internet forums you would not find hatred toward India. What you will find is indifference and a fair amount of amusement about India's love of grandiose pronouncements. Right or wrong, this is how Chinese netizens tend to look at India.

I know that. I also know the kind of bias that exists in this forum, so I will come to my conclusions. This forum is populated by ultra-right wingers, which is true for any country, because generally the right wing is more interested in these things. (I realize in China right wing can have very different meanings, hence I will define right wingers here as nationalists, conservatives, pro-authority people)

Only one thing to say, do you have any idea how a forum works? Or internet in general?

If this is addressed to me, yes, I know that internet and forum quite a heavy propensity to get confrontational.

I would just like you to list the reasons why you think sino-Indian friendship is still an oxymoron. What are the things that China expects?

There is no such thing as the Indo-Chinese rivalry, since China is so much more powerful than India.

So this cannot be considered as a rivalry.

Use any other word then if not rivalry. What is important is the meaning. Use antagonism or something else.

exactly. Indians are daydreaming as always. China's rival is with US not 4th world country India.

:lol:

Is making one country more useful than what they really an indian art of war strategy? lol at India.

I want to ask exactly the reason why you make such comments. This comment exactly demonstrates the thing that I want to know.

I want to ask exactly the reason why you make such comments. This comment exactly demonstrates the thing that I want to know.
Because if you are here long enough you will know that anything China does, Indians always think it's to challenge them. Chinese members tell you people, the rivalry is with US, you guys are not in our radar, never was even when China was poorer than India.

Because if you are here long enough you will know that anything China does, Indians always think it's to challenge them. Chinese members tell you people, the rivalry is with US, you guys are not in our radar, never was even when China was poorer than India.

well, i have no idea about 3rd or 4th or 5th world but........ what makes you think that you are a rival to the US. she keeps screwing you sitting in americas and all of your neighbors show you middle finger. your ~$ triilions forex reserves is truly commendable which you have earned by selling cheap copied junk electronics and infringing patents btw:D

There is no rivalry it's the Western and Indian media that keep hyping it.
It's been a few months and I have seen a distinct level of "unfriendliness" ranging from outward hatred bordering on racism to more subtle ones in this forum. Before coming here, Indians obviously had an unfavorable even antagonistic view of Chinese, but they were never the enemies in the eyes of common Indian folks. While here, the hatred is way too intense and even personal, and not exclusive to any group i.e. hatred is mutual and well reciprocated from both sides.

I am a person, who having seen the blatant injustice of the international rules of the contemporary world against developing world, would want a comprehensive partnership between these two giants. Hence, keeping in with this vision, I would first like to know the problems and underlying reasons for hatred between the two groups. Being an Indian, I am well versed with the views and opinions of my folks. Though I also am aware of some complaints from my Chinese friends, I would like you to expound on those things.

Hence, please don't refrain from listing reasons behind your antagonism against India. I wouldn't mind to have any reason whatsoever, be it racist or otherwise.

Thanking You, and anticipating a good discussion here.

Most Chinese did not have an unfavorable view of India until they saw Indians making negative comments about Chinese and China. The CPC pushed India in a positive light however when they actually meet Indians views turned negative. Whose fault do you think that is ?

The negativity from the other side comes from Anger, Jealously, Butt hurt over things like losing 1962, China economy, Military achievements, aiding Pakistan etc etc.

However there is no ill will or racism directed toward ordinary people, there are many Indians in China that come for studying and treated as any other person would be. This is an internet forum, don't take the internet or people on it seriously.

There is no rivalry it's the Western and Indian media that keep hyping it.

Most Chinese did not have an unfavorable view of India until they saw Indians making negative comments about Chinese and China. The CPC pushed India in a positive light however when they actually meet Indians views turned negative. Whose fault do you think that is ?

The negativity from the other side comes from Anger, Jealously, Butt hurt over things like losing 1962, China economy, Military achievements, aiding Pakistan etc etc.

Thank You!
That's quite a good explanation and perfectly logical as well.

Actually China has been very important for India and its consciousness from the very start. I know for a fact that normal Chinese don't think as much about India, and hold no specific feelings towards India, especially not that of hostility. I was very surprised that the feelings here towards India are very very hostile, much more hostile than even say the United States.

Let me tell you the evolution of the feelings of Indians regarding Chinese.

1. Indians consider themselves (at least the vast majority) to be the descendants of ancient culture and Civilization which has always existed. We are similar to China in this sense that we associate ourselves with our past history a lot, and in our heart of hearts, many Indians still consider India (I'm not commenting on the correctness of this belief) to be an ancient civilization which was very very huge and successful, in no way lesser than Chinese Civilization, even better than them, which emcompassed a lot of land.
Then the Muslim invaders came, and laid havoc on our land, changed our religion, and caused great damage. After that the British came, and finally left a divided country.

2. Pakistan was born for Muslims based on 2-nation theory. Most Indians have trouble understanding it, and still consider it illegitimate, the division of the country. This has a lot of emotions attached to it. Not only this after the division Pakistan started out "occupying" Kashmir, something that is definitely ours. On top of that they regularly support all kinds of terrorists, and separatist movements in India. So Pakistan is the ultimate villain, not least because the country itself is considered illegitimate by many people, but when they see any terrorist attack which the whole media is swift in denouncing Pakistan for, the emotions are flamed. Media, Movies and everything surrounding re-enforces this thing.

3. Many Indians have this tendency (completely ridiculous, I know) of proclaiming deep connections, even ownership of lands that have Buddhism. They somehow think that people who are Buddhist should either belong to them, in kind of hegemonic way, ( like Tibet ), or be grateful to them.

4. Indian consciousness starts with the memory that our first Prime Minster wanted India and China to be serious friends, who gave the slogan of "Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai" ( Believe me this narrative is so strong that every Indian knows this. This means India China Brothers Brothers, and it rhymes in Hindi). They are told to believe that we tried doing a lot to establish friendship, even "gave up" Tibet to them, yet in 1962 they suddenly attacked and took away our land including Aksai Chin.

5. They consider this a big betrayal. On top of it they think that China is constantly helping their biggest enemy Pakistan, funding terrorists almost literally, which is terrible.

6. They see and meet Tibetans (meeting tibetans in exile though a rarity still happens. I myself have 2 Tibetan friends in my place of study), hear stories in which Tibetans proclaim how they have nothing to do with Chinese and they are closer to Indians which reinforces point 3 above. They also hear stories of missing Lamas, self-immolations and all kinds of stories reinforcing 7.

7. Media and other groups keep talking about China's conflicts with other countries. The whole media erupts like anything if there are border intrusions, as perceived by India (which are mainly because there is no well-defined borders, and hence can't really be considered intrusions, but who will explain it to normal folks?) or China claims Arunachal, and start playing up that. People get furious. Already the freedom loving brigade hasn't given a good name to China, this further portrays China as an expansionist empire which is oppressive.

8. Indian envy China, because as stated in opening, they don't consider themselves less, and hence get furious as well as jealous about the difference. Yet, they secretly admire and respect China and its acheivements and it is often presented as an example. Yet, the common narrative of a back-biting betrayal in 1962 still remains. Our humiliating loss further ashames us. I have seen this as a counter-intuitive thing in politics and relations that often it is the humiliating loss that is hard to forget and forgive for, rather than the victory. On top of that we see you helping our nemesis Pakistan, who is made us bleed on many occasions.

So in short these are the biggest reasons:
1. Help to Pakistan
2. Border disputes, and intrusions
3. Narrative of betrayal, and expansionism
4. Our own envy at being left behind

I know the narrative is incorrect, but this is what it is. I will also discuss in future posts how this was made up by politicians and media, and how it is sustained. We need to work to get over this narrative.

Last edited:
Indian and Chinese should and must be enemies for territorial disputes,no need to avoid saying so.

Indian and Chinese should and must be enemies for territorial disputes,no need to avoid saying so.
Here comes most enlightened one ..People are funny

Back
Top Bottom