What's new

India chickens out of international students assessment programme again

MIT is certainly better than IIT, but difference lies in selectively. IIT is much more selective as compared to MIT. Although MIT degree may be more sought after by the recruiters than IIT in US. However, on an average, an IIT grad may beat MIT grad on technical knowledge.

I would say that both are equally good in term of students. Both are the best technical colleges in their own nation. But MIT is certainly more prestigious in all countries in the world not named India.

Another good school is Max Planck institutes in Germany. They are equally good as MIT, Cal tech, and IITs in term of student quality. But equal to MIT in term of research and much better than IIT.

to tell you the truth, an Indian colleague of mine was asked about the rumor that some Indians claiming they rather go to IIT instead of MIT, and he (yeah he graduated from IIT) said, "People who said this are not qualified for IIT, let alone MIT".

It would be an interesting contrast if you graduate from IIT as well.
It is tougher to get into IIT than MIT. Quality of education is whole another story.

If its undergraduate program I will choose IIT and if it is graduation I will choose MIT

Ideally a BS from IIT and MS from MIT is unbeatable.

IIT is unbeatable brand name to have in your resume

IIT is an incredible institution, says Bill Gates
IITs get thumbs up from Microsoft's Steve Ballmer | NDTV.com
Bill Gates told me that IIT is the place to look for talent: Warren Buffett - Economic Times
IIt's fame is due to the students who study there than the quality of education or research done there . IMO the toughest part of studying in IIT is the entrance test.

I would say that both are equally good in term of students. Both are the best technical colleges in their own nation. But MIT is certainly more prestigious in all countries in the world not named India.

Another good school is Max Planck institutes in Germany. They are equally good as MIT, Cal tech, and IITs in term of student quality. But equal to MIT in term of research and much better than IIT.

u say u dont know about IITs and then u go on claiming MIT is better than IIT. great logic !!

Please read the post #82

Selecting x number of students from y, from different education system and different criteria doesn't says anything. IIT student are not the most talented or intelligent even in India. They are just best among those who gave that exam, within the set criteria of that exam.

Besides, point was not what their selection criteria was.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...assessment-programme-again-6.html#post4362341
If its undergraduate program I will choose IIT and if it is graduation I will choose MIT

I do not agree with this choice. Be it undergrad or post grad, facilities of MIT are better. What students they choose is a different matter. What those student get, and then what those student do, makes MIT the best.

Besides, what makes you think MIT has any lax criteria for student choice?

Selecting x number of students from y, from different education system and different criteria doesn't says anything. IIT student are not the most talented or intelligent even in India. They are just best among those who gave that exam, within the set criteria of that exam.

Besides, point was not what their selection criteria was.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...assessment-programme-again-6.html#post4362341

I do not agree with this choice. Be it undergrad or post grad, facilities of MIT are better. What students they choose is a different matter. What those student get, and then what those student do, makes MIT the best.

Besides, what makes you think MIT has any lax criteria for student choice?

MIT is not lax but IIT are super competitive.

This is not only me saying. Vinod Khosla, the founder of Sun Microsystems has the same opinion. As he studied both in IIT, and Carnegie Mellon University and Stanford. He is certainly qualified to compare both systems

Watch the video from 8.55

Last edited by a moderator:
MIT is not lax but IIT are super competitive.

This is not only me saying. Vinod Khosla, the founder of Sun Microsystems has the same opinion. As he studied both in IIT, and Carnegie Mellon University and Stanford. He is certainly qualified to compare both systems

Watch the video from 8.55

There is no doubt about the competition. But that competition corresponds to Indian education system. Most of the JEE qualified would not qualify for MIT. I know, I am one (objective only though).

What I am replying though is this:

What incentive would you get in IIT that makes it better than MIT? From faculties to facilities, MIT beats IITs hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no doubt about the competition. But that competition corresponds to Indian education system. Most of the JEE qualified would not qualify for MIT. I know, I am one (objective only though).

What I am replying though is this:

What incentive would you get in IIT that makes it better than MIT? From faculties to facilities, MIT beats IITs hands down.

Selectivity, to tell you the truth, most recruiter look for students who schools are the most selective. If an IIT engineer can communicate properly in the interview, his selection to top companies such as Google or Microsoft is almost guaranteed.

And I am not saying all students from IITs will get into MIT, majority can, but a fact IITs are the largest feeder institutes to Ivy league system from outside of United States

Selectivity, to tell you the truth, most recruiter look for students who schools are the most selective. If an IIT engineer can communicate properly in the interview, his selection to top companies such as Google or Microsoft is almost guaranteed.

And I am not saying all students from IITs will get into MIT, majority can, but a fact IITs are the largest feeder institutes to Ivy league system from outside of United States

An IIT graduate would still have a lower chance than MIT one. The fact MIT provides better facilities than IITs remains irrefutable.

Also, compare the innovations done by IIT graduates and MIT graduates. Compare the job offers and salary (Keep in mind that MIT offers courses other than engineering, even music!):

For IIT B - Average salary for graduates ~ 20000 $

IITians struggle to live up to families' fat pay package dreams - Times Of India
MUMBAI: Students on the IIT-Bombay campus claim the average annual pay package for graduates this placement season has not exceeded Rs 10 lakh; this is even lower for students taking up core engineering jobs. Students say reports of Rs 80-lakh pay packages not only put them under unnecessary stress because of expectations from family and society, but also present an unbalanced picture to aspiring IITians and their families.

For MIT:

MIT Facts 2013: Alumni

The top employers for bachelor's degree recipients were Oracle, MIT, Microsoft, Apple, McKinsey, Bain & Company, Google, and Schlumberger. The top employers for master's degree recipients were Oracle, Google, the US Navy, the US Air Force, Amazon, Boston Consulting Group, Morgan Stanley, and Apple. The top employers for doctoral degree recipients were MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Google, Harvard Medical School, Princeton, California Institute of Technology, and Massachusetts General Hopsital.

Average Salaries Earned by MIT Graduates Entering Industry Positions
Bachelor's degree $66,874
Master of Science $77,458
Master of Engineering $90,786
Master of Business Administration $128,135
PhD entering postdoctoral positions $53,513
PhD entering other positions $104,833

Back
Top Bottom